OT: RIP Gregg Allman | The Boneyard

OT: RIP Gregg Allman

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Very sad. Gave us a lot of enjoyment. First concert I ever went to was the Greg Allman Band in Hartford.
That's why "See 'em while you can" is my mantra. Glad I got to see him several times, most with ABB, but his last album, Low Country Blues in 2011, was great and he sounded good touring behind it.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

They did this acoustic when I went to the show at the Agora Ballroom. Dickie Betts Band was the other act. They stayed separate until the end and Melissa acoustic was one of the things they played together. Amazing to hear the crowd sing with them in such a small venue.

Reaction Score
Saw the ABB more than any other band. Still remember one of my last days of high school, partying all night long at a friends house, and "Mountain Song" coming on as the sun rose. 40+ minutes later we knew our days as high schoolers/friends/, etc was essentially over. Was so bitterly perfect; beyond words.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The Dead and The Allman Brothers - it don't get better than that
Was my first concert in 1971 - got to see Gregg and Duane 5 times before Duane died
Saw the band and Greggs band probably 12 times
His last solo live album is one of my favorites- Queen of Hearts melts my heart
RIP Gregg - always in my heart

Reaction Score
I've seen the Allman Brothers more times than any other band I've been a fan of. For a while in my 20s-30s I would go see them every year when they toured up on the Northeast. I still have a recording of a King Biscuit Flower Hour live show of them from the 80's that I actually taped off the radio and edited the commercials out. There is a nice Good Lovin with Felix Cavaliere on there. A huge loss. RIP Gregg.

Reaction Score
The Dead and The Allman Brothers - it don't get better than that
Was my first concert in 1971 - got to see Gregg and Duane 5 times before Duane died
Saw the band and Greggs band probably 12 times
His last solo live album is one of my favorites- Queen of Hearts melts my heart
RIP Gregg - always in my heart
Wow. Unfortunately I never saw them with Duane. My first show was 1979 at New Haven coliseum. I was 15 and my uncle took me. It was nuts. Bob Welch warmed them up and he was booed off the stage. I'll never forget it.....

Reaction Score
Been a tough year Col Bruce, Chris Cornell, now Greg. So many things to reminisce on. Many concerts, parties, road trips jamming to ABB. Really got into them after moving south after college 20 years ago. His music will live on forever and the torch passes on. RIP Greg, your music will continue to give us all new memories.

Reaction Score
Been a tough year Col Bruce, Chris Cornell, now Greg. So many things to reminisce on. Many concerts, parties, road trips jamming to ABB. Really got into them after moving south after college 20 years ago. His music will live on forever and the torch passes on. RIP Greg, your music will continue to give us all new memories.

One of my 8 track boxes in the car was full of ABB and Deep Purple alone. Like you said, road trips - drives to the beaches, t-tops off and the Blaupunkt hollering "Whipping Post"? Really hard to forget those days. Losing Gregg is really a hard hitter, more than most.:(

Reaction Score
I grew up in th 70s on a diet of ABB, skynyrd, zz top. MTB...
....but never saw the Allmans live until 2013 at the Meadows in Hartford. Amazing double bill with Steve Winwood (he did almost all Traffic, blind faith and Spencer davis group tunes)....the ABB were really on that night. Turned out to be their last show in CT ever. We had tix for Gregg's solo show last summer at the meadows with zz top that got cancelled due to his health. Zz top added a last minute show at the Grand theater at foxwoods instead. Great time there in a small venue.

Reaction Score

WTF.... Colonel Bruce died? Had no idea. Dammit.

Reaction Score
Wow. Unfortunately I never saw them with Duane. My first show was 1979 at New Haven coliseum. I was 15 and my uncle took me. It was nuts. Bob Welch warmed them up and he was booed off the stage. I'll never forget it.....
Bob Welch was old Fleetwood Mac, really good stuff.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
One of my 8 track boxes in the car was full of ABB and Deep Purple alone. Like you said, road trips - drives to the beaches, t-tops off and the Blaupunkt hollering "Whipping Post"? Really hard to forget those days. Losing Gregg is really a hard hitter, more than most.:(

I still have an 8 track player, Mau. It has never been used. I was visiting my father in the hospital in Hartford and my 8 track was stolen out of my car in broad daylight during my junior year at UConn. I shouldn't encourage Deepster with this type of negativity regarding Hartford. The really incredible thing about it is that anyone once considered them valuable enough to steal out of a car.

The insurance co. paid to replace it, I bought a new one, but never installed it. If I were to dig deep enough, I may even have a handful of old 8 track tapes to play on it.

RIP, Gregg. You were a true master.

Reaction Score
I still have an 8 track player, Mau. It has never been used. I was visiting my father in the hospital in Hartford and my 8 track was stolen out of my car in broad daylight during my junior year at UConn. I shouldn't encourage Deepster with this type of negativity regarding Hartford. The really incredible thing about it is that anyone once considered them valuable enough to steal out of a car.

The insurance co. paid to replace it, I bought a new one, but never installed it. If I were to dig deep enough, I may even have a handful of old 8 track tapes to play on it.

RIP, Gregg. You were a true master.

I had a stereo stolen out of my car in Hartford too. Parked right next to Bushnell Park.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom