OT Riding Mower or Propelled Push? | The Boneyard

OT Riding Mower or Propelled Push?

Reaction Score
.35 acres, level lot, a few trees.

I purchased a self propelled Toro, but my brother in law told me to get a riding mower.

I'm in good enough shape, but he thinks for the size I have I need one. I always thought that anything over a 1/2 acre was the rule of thumb.

Before I bust out my mower, curious to hear any thoughts

Reaction Score
I've got over a 1/2 acre and got rid of riding mower so I could get my exercise mowing. There are times that I feel I want a riding mower again but that is usually on the really hot days. You should be okay with self propelled if you don't mind the walking.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't think you need it. There is detail work that is harder to do with a rider (around mailbox,etc) You don't have hills or slopes so that is better for the rider. I have an acre and finally got a riding mower last year. I like it, but wouldn't bother if I had much less to mow. Also, how do you get it to be repaired when it breaks? Have a trailor?

Reaction Score
Isn't the rule of thumb around 100 minute per acre with a push mower? Subtract the house and whatever else you have taking up space and you're looking at 20 minutes or so once a week.

Save the money and keep the cheaper push mower. Then go buy x amount of savings on beer.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I had Toro self-propelled mowers when I had property with a half acre (hills) and 3/4 acre with back hill. The Toros did just fine.

Our last place had 8+ acres with 2+ to maintain. That's when I purchased a tractor.

Your Toro is just fine!

Reaction Score
My dad is 65 this year with over an acre to mow and refuses to get a riding mower. He has a couple of different sizes though from a commercial grade Scag with a 50' deck and a smaller 36' that's self propelled.
They have so many different sizes these days that you can still have a walk behind and it doesn't need to take all day to mow.

Reaction Score

I purchased a self propelled Toro, but my brother in law told me to get a riding mower.

I'm in good enough shape, but he thinks for the size I have I need one. I always thought that anything over a 1/2 acre was the rule of thumb.

Push for sure. Not a huge yard and it's a nice easy work out every week... not to mention the price of the riding mower.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
I had a riding mower at a house with a huge yard and brought it to a house with about a third of an acre. I get it done in a hurry but it's definitely overkill. If the riding mower died I'd get a self-propelled.

Reaction Score
Get a walk behind with an optional sulky,you choose when you want to walk it,just as manuveral if not more then a rider

Reaction Score
Here's a data point:

My 14-year-old neighbor just mowed my 0.5-acre yard with a 60 V battery-powered push mower (no idea how much he used self-propel) in a little over an hour.

A riding mower for 0.35 acres seems like serious overkill.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have .3 acre and I would feel like a total bozo with a ride on. A bozo who could cut his lawn in 20 min though.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have 1.7 acres, but about an acre is mowable. The back 3/4 acre is wetlands. I have a self propelled.

2 days of exercise in the summer then a dip in the pool (Bleach bath to guard against the 'Rona) and a Blonde Hooker or two (maybe a Nurse) after each workout. Can't beat it.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

I used to mow my yard. Father time is kicking my butt. Back problems and a knee that was replaced. My yard has a slight bank. I still use my power mower for the front when I want some exercise. But there are times I use my John Deere zero turn for the whole property. Now what I like I am done in no time. If you have plans for the day but you know your lawn needs a good haircut, riding mower is the key. Cuts your mowing time in half. Mow and out the door as planned.

Reaction Score
I have a propelled push and absolutely love it, I take pride in my barber precise lines. Takes me a good 90 minutes, hell of a workout. I have no plans on getting a riding mower, won't even entertain the thought.

Reaction Score
Get a manual push reel mower.
I had 2 acres with about .5 that was not wooded which I had to mow. I started off in my 30s using my grandfathers reel mower. I had to use baseball shoes when the grass was too tall for traction. I switched to push gas mower which worked fine for 25 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom