OT Riding Mower or Propelled Push? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Riding Mower or Propelled Push?

Reaction Score
My dad is 65 this year with over an acre to mow and refuses to get a riding mower. He has a couple of different sizes though from a commercial grade Scag with a 50' deck and a smaller 36' that's self propelled.
They have so many different sizes these days that you can still have a walk behind and it doesn't need to take all day to mow.

With a 50 foot deck, or even a 36 foot deck, Dad should be done in less than 5 minutes...... :rolleyes:

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Toro self propelled. My first one lasted 13 years, including that last 5 AFTER I ran it with no oil. Current one on my 5th season. And I have a lawn that deserves a rider but I like the exercise.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
When we lived in Easton (CT) we had 3.5 acres, That justified a riding mower. Now in CO we have a little over 1.25 acres, with about a half acre of actual grass. A self-propelled push mower is a better tool for this job.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Would like to add having your children cut your lawn is best option.

Amen! I was on a family Zoom chat last night and my sister brought up the fact that if we weren't studying, playing sports or volunteering back in the day our parents made sure our Summer days were spent weeding, raking and mowing. On repeat.

Reaction Score
The bigger the deck the better looking the stripes. I love me a nicely striped lawn

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
$35 every other week and someone else does it.

For a third of an acre, a rider is more trouble than it's worth. If the lot is flat, a self propelled walk behind will do most of the work.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This lawn is just too small for a rider and the yard set-up is against me, too. So, push mow with propel is it. So, my propel stopped in 2017 but I pushed on for two summers. Quite the work out. Finally brought it in for repairs as I felt the repair was beyond my dyi skills. Turned out a belt came off the wheel. I will fix next time.

Reaction Score
Get a manual push reel mower.
I remember those days around 60 years ago. Ours was heavy too. I tried one for a year at our first house, but it was just a cheap imitation of that old Craftsman. I settled for a gas mower.

Reaction Score
$35 every other week and someone else does it.

For a third of an acre, a rider is more trouble than it's worth. If the lot is flat, a self propelled walk behind will do most of the work.
Exactly...I had 3/4 in the day and spending the time wasn't worth it...Landscaper showed up with 2 standing/riding mower dudes, one guy on trimming and another on blower/cleanup and done in less than 30 min...Prob 2-3 hours+ if I did it myself...@50/week for 16 weeks...money well spent

Reaction Score
Are you serious.
The only thing I miss about my old Connecticut House was cutting grass on my riding Mower
Put the hearing protection on and it became the most Stress free hour of the day.
Raking leaves is another entirely different issue however.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom