OT: Rick Pitino on UL's Shaqquan Aaron | The Boneyard

OT: Rick Pitino on UL's Shaqquan Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting. Kid was a top 25 ranking on most lists

Reaction Score
I'd take him in a heartbeat.

If he's not good enough to play at Louisville I don't know why we'd want him here.

Edit: seems like an move by Pitino to rip the kid through the media. I get that he's trying to light a spark under him, but if it hasn't worked by now it's probably not going to happen.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Aaron's response to Pitino:
"We sittin' in here, I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talkin' about practice. I mean listen, we talkin bout practice."

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If he's not good enough to play at Louisville I don't know why we'd want him here.

Edit: seems like an move by Pitino to rip the kid through the media. I get that he's trying to light a spark under him, but if it hasn't worked by now it's probably not going to happen.

Louisville's roster has a ton more 4-5 star guys than we do. It's a much harder lineup to crack (which I wish recruits would see - this season has basically been one giant advertisement of how much help we need) than ours is, and it plays against a tougher level of competition night in and night out. I trust Ollie to work his motivational magic on a former consensus top-30 recruit -- I have a feeling Pitino's issues with the kid aren't basketball-related.

Reaction Score
West coast kid. I'm sure he'd head to the Pac-12 if things don't work out at Louisville.

Reaction Score
Louisville's roster has a ton more 4-5 star guys than we do. It's a much harder lineup to crack (which I wish recruits would see - this season has basically been one giant advertisement of how much help we need) than ours is, and it plays against a tougher level of competition night in and night out. I trust Ollie to work his motivational magic on a former consensus top-30 recruit -- I have a feeling Pitino's issues with the kid aren't basketball-related.

I get it. But I think there is a difference between your typical recruit that doesn't play well his freshman year and the guy that inspires his coach to openly question his work ethic and/or toughness. If Kevin Ollie came out and said one of our freshman "wasn't a UConn player," I don't think we'd be projecting success for that player at his next school.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I get it. But I think there is a difference between your typical recruit that doesn't play well his freshman year and the guy that inspires his coach to openly question his work ethic and/or toughness. If Kevin Ollie came out and said one of our freshman "wasn't a UConn player," I don't think we'd be projecting success for that player at his next school.

Fair enough. We don't need Ollie to do that though, it already happens here with players of all ages...

Reaction Score

Ville roster > then uconn.
sorry just a fact

Reaction Score
That's the case with them all. It really is funny.

That is very true for a large proportion of kids from SoCal in particular. They learn early that regardless of how much work they put in, there is always a top level team willing to take them (too many teams and coaches trying to make a name for themselves). So, they jump from one AAU/club team to another (starting in grade school), from one HS to another (at least 3 HS for Aaron), and then one college to another. I heard that he left Mater Dei because his Mom didn't want him "competing against" his team mate Stanley Johnson (to his and his Mom's credit, Stanley Johnson is not one of the self-entitled). The tide against the AAU, and club basketball in general, is swelling.

http://rushthecourt.net/2014/02/18/...ron-from-california-to-seattle-to-louisville/

Reaction Score

We'd be lauding Ollie for being a great motivator and "molding young men" and "making him earn everything" and blah blah blah . . .

caw

Reaction Score
sorry just a fact

Right now at the wing though? Esp with Jones suspended? Harrell aside, how much better are they right now?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Right now at the wing though? Esp with Jones suspended? Harrell aside, how much better are they right now?

Rozier = future NBA player
Blackshear = Omar who can play D and grab a few boards
Snider = 4-star PG recruit who would be HUGE as Boat's backup/partner in crime.

Onuaku (Brimah with rebounding ability) and Mahmoud were Top 100 guys. Having a player like that come in this past year's class would've been huge.

Gill and Johnson get no court time, but I have a strong hunch they would put up better numbers if they were on our squad - we sorely need the talent.

Reaction Score
sorry just a fact

Not by a lot though that's for sure. Last night was an offensive onslaught for them and yet their wonderful defense let them down!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Louisville top to bottom is much more talented than we are today. This is our least talented team since probably 06-07.

Hamilton is gonna be great but today he is just good.

Boat is our "worst" best player since Jerome Dyson was turning the ball over in the lane five times a night.

Purvis couldn't shoot a free throw if he were playing on a fisher price hoop.

Brimah is good but can't stay on the floor.

And we have a bunch of reserve types who are good glue guys (looking at you, T-Sam and, gulp, Nolan) but would never be confused with stars.

I don't mean to sound like I'm ripping these guys because none of them are bad players, but they're just not as good as Louisville's kids at the moment. Don't get me wrong, we have some game changers for upcoming years (Brimah and Hamilton) but it's going to take some refinement.

caw

Reaction Score
Rozier = future NBA player
Blackshear = Omar who can play D and grab a few boards
Snider = 4-star PG recruit who would be HUGE as Boat's backup/partner in crime.

Onuaku (Brimah with rebounding ability) and Mahmoud were Top 100 guys. Having a player like that come in this past year's class would've been huge.

Gill and Johnson get no court time, but I have a strong hunch they would put up better numbers if they were on our squad - we sorely need the talent.

Rozier may be a future NBA player but is he a better college player than Boat?

Blackshear is not as good as Hamilton (ya know if you want to compare starters).

Snider = not better than Purvis, he honestly hasn't shown a ton this year at all. I mean he's at 2.5 PGs, 1.2 rbds, .8 assists to .5 TOs on 32%, 24% and 71% in 10 minutes and looks very slow footed on defense. He is a better ball handler but people would kill him if he put up those numbers here.

Onuaku is not close to Brimah as a defender or even as an offensive player. He is a better rebounder.

All that said, it appears Chris Jones is back.

Gill can't dribble at all. Mathiang is an athlete with no basketball skills (bigger Facey). Mahmoud, I can't remember seeing much from him to comment.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Rozier may be a future NBA player but is he a better college player than Boat?

Blackshear is not as good as Hamilton (ya know if you want to compare starters).

Snider = not better than Purvis, he honestly hasn't shown a ton this year at all. I mean he's at 2.5 PGs, 1.2 rbds, .8 assists to .5 TOs on 32%, 24% and 71% in 10 minutes and looks very slow footed on defense. He is a better ball handler but people would kill him if he put up those numbers here.

Onuaku is not close to Brimah as a defender or even as an offensive player. He is a better rebounder.

All that said, it appears Chris Jones is back.

Gill can't dribble at all. Mathiang is an athlete with no basketball skills (bigger Facey). Mahmoud, I can't remember seeing much from him to comment.

I was under the impression that we were comparing rosters in general, not starting lineups.

Snider has been playing behind Rozier and Jones. With extended time against an AAC schedule, he would be at the very least comparable to (if not better than) what we've been seeing. He was also ranked nearly 20 spots higher than Josh Perkins was, and I seem to recall us really wanting him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom