OT: Replacement windows | The Boneyard

OT: Replacement windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hello citizens of the Boneyard,

Our 30 year old house is well made except for the drafty, tilt-in-to-clean windows. I have to shrink-wrap the windows every winter so my husband and I decided to just change them out. We've called in some people for quotes and have some conflicting info so I'm asking if anyone has experience with replacing their windows.

There was one contractor who suggested vinyl replacement windows which just get set into the frame. They do take up a lot of light since they're set into the frame and they aren't very aesthetically pleasing. We would also need to strip, prime, and paint the window frame after the window is installed. They are, however, the inexpensive option.

A Marvin Windows contractor showed us fiberglass-wrapped wood windows that wouldn't just sit in the frame but be new construction windows (no painting). We like the look and feel of the Marvin windows but some online reviews have people complaining that theyr'e drafty and a couple people posted pictures of ice inside their windows during the winter. They are also much more expensive.

Has anyone been through the search? What did they choose and how happy are you with the results?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We did the window replacements summer before last. All windows not Anderson we had replaced by Pella products. Complete satisfaction.

Looking back, it was almost hilarious to have the siding contrator guys working (bottom to top) as the window contactor was replacing windows. Hard to explain here but I wish we had done one of those timed photo things to record all this activity.

Even more fun is when occasional guests want to remove their shoes and walk on our lovely (and maintenance-free) front lawn (artificial turf).

Reaction Score
Nan,

Just this past year, we looked at replacing old Pella windows with new Pella windows. Had two different companies come to the house, one from Pella and one from Andersen (we had gotten one of those coupon books in the mail and there was a Pella replacement window coupon inside). We ultimately chose to replace the whole window and not do the replacement window thing you're talking about because, as you suggest, it makes the glass part smaller. When I saw the estimates from both these companies, I was really surprised. Their prices seemed wildly high, but what did I know? One thing that was of concern to me, too, was that there was no differentiation between labor and the product. I couldn't get the companies to show me how the prices broke down.

I also checked online reviews for these windows (which must be installed by these mobile installation companies) one with vinyl-wrapped sills and one the aluminum-core sill-- and also composite sills, for both Andersen and Pella-- and they were NOT comforting. I suggest you read some of these online reviews, if you haven't already. You can search by the window model name.

Finally, we also talked to a friend who suggested the old-fashioned solution: he suggested we go to Shagbark Lumber in East Haddam. They had the Andersen windows we liked-- and the price was about 40% less. We went there, saw the different options and talked to the window guy there. Unlike the people at the big box stores, he knew a ton and was very helpful in helping us make decisions. Our carpenter measured for us and also put them in. They were a special order and came in within a month, I think.

The windows look great, they were excellent this past winter, and I'd recommend going that local route. Even with the price for installation, the windows still cost us less, were better quality, and we were able to support a local business, one easily available for all our questions. I wouldn't do it any other way in the future.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Nan,

Finally, we also talked to a friend who suggested the old-fashioned solution: he suggested we go to Shagbark Lumber in East Haddam. They had the Andersen windows we liked-- and the price was about 40% less. We went there, saw the different options and talked to the window guy there. Unlike the people at the big box stores, he knew a ton and was very helpful in helping us make decisions. Our carpenter measured for us and also put them in. They were a special order and came in within a month, I think.

The windows look great, they were excellent this past winter, and I'd recommend going that local route. Even with the price for installation, the windows still cost us less, were better quality, and we were able to support a local business, one easily available for all our questions. I wouldn't do it any other way in the future.

Wow - great idea! There is a pretty good size sales component of the window company sale. I don't want to take away someone's commission but sometimes the buyer doesn't need that hand holding. Sargassoc's thoughts work especially well in a small community. You get to know the local lumber guy and carpenter - both of whom are good to have as friends.

The down side (minimal) you may have to coordinate delivery and wait until the carpenter is has the installation time.

But what a very cool idea!

Reaction Score
Installment of the windows is the most important part. A friend bought Marvin windows from Sears, installment done by Sears subcontractors who did a horrible job. The windows leaked as the were not properly installed and caulked, took a very long time for her to get them fixed. It was not the windows but the installation. I like the local lumberyard, contractor deal.

Reaction Score
13 years ago, we did Pella replacement windows, and our house is 78 years old with non-standard window measurements, so we had to have them particularly measured and manufactured (or you get a really large frame for a standard window size), and they are also casement (which are more expensive). We got the double pane with a third storm window. Even at half-off they were expensive, but our heating bills went way down. I guess you have to balance how much you're willing to spend amortized over how long you intend to stay in the house. I don't think we'll get back what we invested, but it will also not detract from the value of the house, should we decide to sell. Hope that helps.

Reaction Score
Hello citizens of the Boneyard,

Our 30 year old house is well made except for the drafty, tilt-in-to-clean windows. I have to shrink-wrap the windows every winter so my husband and I decided to just change them out. We've called in some people for quotes and have some conflicting info so I'm asking if anyone has experience with replacing their windows.

There was one contractor who suggested vinyl replacement windows which just get set into the frame. They do take up a lot of light since they're set into the frame and they aren't very aesthetically pleasing. We would also need to strip, prime, and paint the window frame after the window is installed. They are, however, the inexpensive option.

A Marvin Windows contractor showed us fiberglass-wrapped wood windows that wouldn't just sit in the frame but be new construction windows (no painting). We like the look and feel of the Marvin windows but some online reviews have people complaining that theyr'e drafty and a couple people posted pictures of ice inside their windows during the winter. They are also much more expensive.

Has anyone been through the search? What did they choose and how happy are you with the results?
Been looking at this too... great OT topic! Anxious to hear what others have learned and experienced! thanks Nan!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
About 30 years ago near Philly, I got replacement windows. Most of the houses back then were 35 or so years old. Most people were buying vinyl or metal. I didn't like either. Metal windows were unattractive and cold. They didn't match the colonial style either. I was concerned about the longevity of vinyl, that they might lose structural integrity.

I did tons of research. Of course, my windows were not standard sizes. :( So the off-the-shelf Andersen windows would not work. Andersen quality is quite good. Pella may be the gold standard. I don't recall for sure, but they may not have had custom sizes. Peachtree also seems to be a good line. Ultimately, I found custom Marvin windows. They were FABULOUS. The old wood trim on the outside was covered with white aluminum fascia, which worked quite well. I bought custom storm windows and installed them as the outer layer. The Marvin windows were double-pane, with white weatherproof baked-on enamel on the outside and natural wood on the inside. (Ideal for staining if you want.) That was perfect, because I wanted a bright white interior and antique white interior. I also bought removable wood grids from Marvin that I installed on the inside. I wanted grids to fit the brick colonial architecture. I painted them white on 1 side and antique white on the other. I don't recall if the windows tilted out or came out totally. I added some great window locks from Brookstone as an additional layer of security. The windows eliminated drafts, were not cold to the touch, looked perfect, and were THE KEY selling point when we sold the house about 6 years later. Obviously, you need a good installer, but the Marvin windows were exactly what I wanted, priced reasonably (not cheap!), and possibly the best purchase I ever made.

Last edited:

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Another option, which is not as unsightly as it used to be, is storm windows. Cost less, add great protection from cold and also help preserve your current windows. We recently bought an investment property that was constructed in 1850 and still has the original windows. The storm windows prevent drafts in the winter and allow us to maintain the property's original charm. I don't know if I would go that route for my home, but I would certainly check out the product profiles, looks, performance and cost before I changed a lot of windows.

On another note, I don't understand why 30-year old windows fail. It's not that I don't believe it, I just don't understand it. Our home was built in 1992 and some of the windows are breeze factories in the winter. I go around with rope caulk and cover the biggest offenders every fall, but that's a pain. One day I'll need to break down and do something more.

Let us know what you go with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak