OT Reducing cable to "basic" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Reducing cable to "basic"

Reaction Score
Well you typically can't rip a DVD without software that will break the encryption.

And most streams don't have injected ads from what I've seen. They're usually the same. And if your point goes back to advertising then it's no different than adblock

My overall point, though, is it's not the same as stealing a hostess cake from 7-11. It's much more complicated than that.
Yeah, it's just not as cut and dry as a lot of people would have you believe, at least in the context of other things like ad blockers that the vast majority of people (I would guess) find totally unobjectionable. This discussion has actually been very interesting in that regard.

Reaction Score
I'm just saying, both are legal as the end viewer and the difference between using an ad blocker and viewing streamed sports is about the same as viewing streamed sports and walking into a store and stealing a physical product. In fact probably significantly less so as the latter is actually illegal and in all circumstances leads to financial harm to the producer/store.

I see your point. And I don't know if it is illegal to "watch" bootleg streams of sports - or if it is just illegal for the one providing the illegal stream. But even I accept that it is immoral to use ad blockers, I don't equate that with straight theft of content - which I find worse.

Reaction Score
How Sketchy Streaming Sites Really Work — And Why Some Are Legal

>>But is streaming unlicensed content online illegal? Jim Gibson, director of the Intellectual Property Institute at the University of Richmond law school, told Business Insider that streaming online content breaks the law in two cases.

When the user downloads even part of a file — called "pseudo-streaming" — it counts as a copy of copyrighted material, which is illegal. And when the user streams content as a "public performance" — namely, when it's shown to a substantial number of people outside the normal family circle and its close acquaintances — it also constitutes a copyright violation.

Outside of these cases, accessing unlicensed streamed content is generally legal.

On the other side of the screen, however, uploading or posting unlicensed streamed content is illegal — even if it's free, according to Gibson. "That's the most basic part of copyright — protection of your work. When someone uploads a video online, they're literally making a copy," he said. <<

Reaction Score
Well you typically can't rip a DVD without software that will break the encryption.

And most streams don't have injected ads from what I've seen. They're usually the same. And if your point goes back to advertising then it's no different than adblock

My overall point, though, is it's not the same as stealing a hostess cake from 7-11. It's much more complicated than that.

Owning the DVD doesn't give you the right to steal a digital copy, if that was the point. Maybe that isn't fair, but that's the law.

I've never watched a bootleg stream, so don't know what would be in it for the host / streamer - if not an ad content stream of his own. Why break laws when there is no upside?

I would agree that bootlegging a stream for an individual sporting event (especially if you have no other way to watch it) is not the same as stealing from a 7-11. But people that are routinely bypassing legitimate means of consuming content when it is available is pretty much the same thing.

Reaction Score
Back in the day I was involved with the RIAA when they were suing college students for stealing music - so I'm pretty black and white about that sort of theft.

Reaction Score
I see your point. And I don't know if it is illegal to "watch" bootleg streams of sports - or if it is just illegal for the one providing the illegal stream. But even I accept that it is immoral to use ad blockers, I don't equate that with straight theft of content - which I find worse.

In all fairness, I'm playing ultimate devil's advocate here just to point out that this issue isn't nearly as black and white as some people in this thread are saying. And ethically, I agree it's wrong, but I do believe that it's far closer to the ethical wrongness of an adblocker than it is to physical theft. As the article that was posted above this said, this isn't a legal issue so up to everyone to decide where their line is.

Reaction Score
Owning the DVD doesn't give you the right to steal a digital copy, if that was the point. Maybe that isn't fair, but that's the law.

I've never watched a bootleg stream, so don't know what would be in it for the host / streamer - if not an ad content stream of his own. Why break laws when there is no upside?

I would agree that bootlegging a stream for an individual sporting event (especially if you have no other way to watch it) is not the same as stealing from a 7-11. But people that are routinely bypassing legitimate means of consuming content when it is available is pretty much the same thing.
Those bootleg sites have a ton of adware.

From at @huskymedic's post:

Outside of these cases, accessing unlicensed streamed content is generally legal.

You can go on ebay or amazon right now and purchase "jailbroken" devices with kodi on them right now. If it is "illegal to use" it must be illegal to sell. How do these people get away with this?

I've bought two streaming boxes from a website. If I thought the feds were going to kick my door in and arrest me, I certainly wouldn't be buying the stuff.

Reaction Score
In short these threads are people bragging about how and what they steal.

If someone started a thread about what he stole from Target - I suspect we wouldn't get a few dozen responses that brag about stealing from Target and give additional advice on how to steal from Target.

This sort of thinking explains a lot around here I guess.

Taking things from Target is against the law. Accessing a web address is not.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The number of people perfectly fine with stealing always amazes me in these threads.
C'mon Whaler. They sell it on amazon and Ebay.
Kodi's legal 'til it isn't. It is very good. Not great. Very good.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
C'mon Whaler. They sell it on amazon and Ebay.
Kodi's legal 'til it isn't. It is very good. Not great. Very good.

Who said Kodi is illegal?

If people want to tell themselves much of this is stealing that's fine. It's just interesting.

FWIW I think Kodi is highly overrated. It's next to useless for sports.

Reaction Score

If people want to tell themselves much of this is stealing that's fine. It's just interesting.

To get sports on Kodi to work properly requires download speed costs that are greater than the cost to get a cable package with CBS Sports Network.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score

It is for Baseball. Sucks. UConn hoop too
For football, I watch the Dolphins on It and dropped the NFL TICKET on DTV. It is okay, not great, buffering and all.

Reaction Score

If you think its useless for sports, you don't have the right add on.

It probably should be illegal, but those things have interesting end user agreements. If you go to total stream tv. com, they sell a superior product. The firesticks simply don't come close to what they offer.

But.... they will never substitute a paid service to me. Its why I pay for Vue. Not always in the mood to fart around with the thing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you think its useless for sports, you don't have the right add on.

It probably should be illegal, but those things have interesting end user agreements. If you go to total stream tv. com, they sell a superior product. The firesticks simply don't come close to what they offer.

But.... they will never substitute a paid service to me. Its why I pay for Vue. Not always in the mood to fart around with the thing.

I've tried all the add ons. I find streaming sports to be miserable experience anyway.

You end up a minute or two behind and phone updates, twitter and texts blow things up.

I got an email that made mlb.tv $54 for the whole season. It's not like you can't find some deals.

Clearly a lot of people disagree with me but the X1 experience is 100x better than piecing things together and it's worth the net $100 or so it costs to me.

Reaction Score
Minuscule piece if you are a Yankee/Nets fan.
That is decision that has to be made. Are you against UConn by supporting the anti UConn ACC YES network or do you really want to watch the Yankees and say UConn can shove it as I am paying for this pro ACC network.

Reaction Score
After 18 months of rabbit ears we ventured back in with Playstation Vue. We had Hulu and Netflix but dropped Hulu. Our plan is $29.99 a month. No tax. For $5 more you get NFL Network and YES. I don't care about the latter as I'm a Mets fan. I'd suggest the Amazon Fire Stick (with Kodi) to see all the shows on the streaming channels and live events.

What a bunch of idiots! Why post this stuff online. What do you think is going to happen?

Reaction Score
Planning to drop my Comcast cable and phone we never use. Keep 100 MB internet add Hulu Live for $40/month. Includes all the sports I watch except sny. I can live with that at an $80/month savings.

Reaction Score
I got on board with the Directv Now package through ATT in January, $35 indefinitely for 100 or so channels. I think it's missing CBS and Fox, but have rabbit ears for those. Netflix and Hulu too. Total is about $50 or so. Anything that's not covered by those I'll find alternative ways of watching. Don't feel bad about streaming/downloading, your money is better spent elsewhere.

Reaction Score
So funny - was at a party at my neighbor's house on Saturday night. One of his buddies came over with a "jailbroken" Amazon fire stick with Kodi on it - running Exodus. Showed him how it worked, etc. I tried to stay out of it, but once they asked me if I wanted one and I said no - they asked why.

Basically I said this: Do what ever you want. Nothing is going to happen to you. But it isn't legal, and ultimately it duck*s people over. Who? Never the execs, or the major talent. But some poor $40K/year schmuck working his ass off in Burbank - that's the guy that gets fired when people steal . You are never sticking it to the "man" - you are sticking it to someone just like you, or less fortunate than you, in most cases. So if you are good with that? So be it - I'll go to the theater if I want to see something new.

BTW - went and saw Alien - Covenant yesterday - WAY better than I thought, and no way it would have been anywhere near as good at home, even for free.

Reaction Score
So funny - was at a party at my neighbor's house on Saturday night. One of his buddies came over with a "jailbroken" Amazon fire stick with Kodi on it - running Exodus. Showed him how it worked, etc. I tried to stay out of it, but once they asked me if I wanted one and I said no - they asked why.

Basically I said this: Do what ever you want. Nothing is going to happen to you. But it isn't legal, and ultimately it ****s people over. Who? Never the execs, or the major talent. But some poor $40K/year schmuck working his ass off in Burbank - that's the guy that gets fired when people steal ****. You are never sticking it to the "man" - you are sticking it to someone just like you, or less fortunate than you, in most cases. So if you are good with that? So be it - I'll go to the theater if I want to see something new.

BTW - went and saw Alien - Covenant yesterday - WAY better than I thought, and no way it would have been anywhere near as good at home, even for free.
Your ethical point is a perfectly valid one, but can you please stop repeating the same falsehood about streaming being illegal. Multiple people have corrected it and even posted a source that being the viewer of a stream is not illegal. Plain and simple. You repeating the same thing again and again does not make it true and it doesn't add to your credibility.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
oh no, people on the internet are talking about things that are legal! the FBI is going to knock down their door any minute now!

Lots of people got fired over pictures they posted on Facebook. They thought nothing was going to happen to. If you want to, it's fine... but why bother. I mean I know the likelihood of a potential employer combing through the Boneyard for posts is pretty slim... but I still don't think it's a great idea.

Reaction Score

FYI - this is what I said. So I'm not sure where you think I've said that the viewer is breaking the law.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Your ethical point is a perfectly valid one, but can you please stop repeating the same falsehood about streaming being illegal. Multiple people have corrected it and even posted a source that being the viewer of a stream is not illegal. Plain and simple. You repeating the same thing again and again does not make it true and it doesn't add to your credibility.

I don't think the law is settled... but technically the way I read it based on this article.. if you buffer any video at all... by the letter of the law you're probably doing something illegal. Watch a video in a browser and depending on the streaming technology you could be downloading tons of little *.ts files that can hang out on your computer for an indefinite period of time. You've got no idea what that plug-in in Kodi is doing. What it's storing... and what code it's running... which opens you open to all kinds of other issues.

Just not worth it to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom