OT: Really, really Cold Weather Foods | The Boneyard

OT: Really, really Cold Weather Foods

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
triad has never experienced cold , cold weather, but I bet he has a food to give us that will be yummy. One of my favs is in the crock pot warming up right now: pea soup, the kind your spoon stands up in, with lots of onions, celery, carrots and ham ... and the crustiest bread you can find. Side salad for the guilty.

To put you in the weather mood I give you the guy who makes the weather:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
1549579481441.png

Good crock pot meal as well.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Probably my favorite cold-weather food is file’ gumbo.The roux takes the better part of an hour, much of it spent standing over a hot stove. Heat up the oven to make some French loaves to go with the gumbo, and you’re warm before even eating.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
triad has never experienced cold , cold weather, but I bet he has a food to give us that will be yummy.

Well actually... I spent a couple of years in the midwest in my younger years. There was one memorable stretch when it dipped to minus 18 with minus 40 windchills for a three day stretch. I did was any 20 something single man would do in that extreme cold .... head to Taco Bell for nourishment :rolleyes:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
All of the above, minus the Tacos, plus
Lentil soup
Pasta fazool
Chicken soup (save the carcasses from rotisserie chicken),
Ribeye or a Porterhouse, fire up the charcoal

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hungarian goulash poured over egg noodles.

Growing up probably had it sabout once a week; this from a 100% Scottish mom. Found her old recipe and wife promises to make it "soon". She used spiral noodles - they really hold the sauce.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You know, it occurs to me we could put together The Boneyard Cook Book, with triad as Chief Taste Tester and Editor inChief and I'd be happy to serve as Treasurer. Who wants to run the Test Kitchen and be our Julia Child of beloved memory. I bet we could publish the book and immediately syndicate our half hour show. Geno would appear on each show to suggest the wine for the entre of the day. I bet our first TV station sold would be in South Bend, though Nashville might beat them out.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It's plenty cold in Chicago; 7 degrees this morning.

Last night I had a nice filet (thanks to a vendor that was treating my firm at a steakhouse). Two nights ago - pork ribs and brisket

The classics are the classics regardless of temperature.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I love pea soup but another good choice is beef stew- beef, carrots, celery & onions in broth, cooked for at least one day before eating, preferably with fresh bread.

Sometimes we'll throw in little red potatoes with a hour of cook time left. And when I'm doing it I spice it with that 4 spice Italian blend - not too much, cuz then you'll swear you are eating your marinara sauce.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
You know, it occurs to me we could put together The Boneyard Cook Book, with triad as Chief Taste Tester and Editor inChief and I'd be happy to serve as Treasurer. Who wants to run the Test Kitchen and be our Julia Child of beloved memory. I bet we could publish the book and immediately syndicate our half hour show. Geno would appear on each show to suggest the wine for the entre of the day. I bet our first TV station sold would be in South Bend, though Nashville might beat them out.
He (Triad) eats Spam, for god's sake! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
You bad mouth Spam alot.... did you have a bad experience?

Just the off-season.....
I did have a bad experience with Spam. When I was young, and at a friend's house one cold ,dark night, I ate some. :rolleyes::p

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
triad has never experienced cold , cold weather, but I bet he has a food to give us that will be yummy. One of my favs is in the crock pot warming up right now: pea soup.
I'm with you! Soup. During the winter we will make big pot of vegetable beef soup with at least 8 different vegetables or a nice fall/winter vegetable stew or a tasty winter minestrone. Since Mrs. SVC likes thick soups (stoups?) I sometimes convert the winter minestrone into a thick quasi-minestrone milanese by adding arborio rice and parmesan cheese.

Reaction Score
I did have a bad experience with Spam. When I was young, and at a friend's house one cold ,dark night, I ate some. :rolleyes::p

:D enough said, that was the "bad experience"...you actually ate some.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
:D enough said, that was the "bad experience"...you actually ate some.
It was a dark and stormy night. I was young,and confused,and scared. I made a bad decision, and now I must live with it. My kids don't know, so that is good. And I never told anyone until now. I was hoping that if I just admitted it, I could finally sleep at night. I still cannot listen to Hawaiian music without panicking. Good thing is I am getting older, and will not have to bear the shame of it much longer. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm with you! Soup. During the winter we will make big pot of vegetable beef soup with at least 8 different vegetables or a nice fall/winter vegetable stew or a tasty winter minestrone. Since Mrs. SVC likes thick soups (stoups?) I sometimes convert the winter minestrone into a thick quasi-minestrone milanese by adding arborio rice and parmesan cheese.

I'll be right over. Bring my own bowl and wash the dishes after dinner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom