OT- Ray Lewis's locker room speech post-AFC championship | The Boneyard

OT- Ray Lewis's locker room speech post-AFC championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Excellent. He has matured so much from the young brash guy who came into the league. We should all grow this way.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Excellent. He has matured so much from the young brash guy who came into the league. We should all grow this way.

I'll believe he has matured and grown when he goes back to Atlanta and tells police exactly what he knows about how a person was stabbed and killed in the ATL

From Wiki, so take it as you please-

Following a Super Bowl XXXIV party in Atlanta on January 31, 2000, a fight broke out between Lewis and his companions and another group of people, resulting in the stabbing deaths of Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar. Lewis and two companions, Reginald Oakley and Joseph Sweeting, were questioned by Atlanta police, and eleven days later the three men were indicted on murder and aggravated assault charges. The white suit Lewis was wearing the night of the killings has never been found. Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard alleged that the bloodstained suit was dumped in a garbage bin outside a fast food restaurant.[31]
Lewis claimed that the prosecution knew he was not involved in the murder but chose to go ahead with the case anyway, saying, "You don't care if I'm guilty or not. You gonna make sure I go to jail for life."[32] Lewis' attorneys, Don Samuel and Ed Garland, of the Atlanta law firm Garland, Samuel & Loeb, negotiated a plea agreement with Howard, the Fulton County District Attorney, where the murder charges against Lewis were dismissed in exchange for his testimony against Oakley and Sweeting, and his guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice.[12] Lewis admitted that he gave a misleading statement to police on the morning after the killings. Superior Court Judge Alice D. Bonner sentenced Lewis to 12 months' probation, the maximum sentence for a first-time offender;[33] and he was fined $250,000 by the NFL, which was believed to be the highest fine levied against an NFL player for an infraction not involving substance abuse.[34] Under the terms of the sentence, Lewis could not use drugs or alcohol during the duration of the probation.
Oakley and Sweeting were acquitted of the charges in June 2000.[35] No other suspects have ever been arrested for the crime.
The following year, Lewis was named Super Bowl XXXV MVP. However, the signature phrase "I'm going to Disney World!" was given instead to quarterback Trent Dilfer.
On April 29, 2004, Lewis reached a settlement with four-year-old India Lollar, born months after the death of her father Richard, preempting a scheduled civil proceeding. Lewis also reached an undisclosed settlement with Baker's family.[35]

Until then I'll be indifferent towards any ill will that comes his way.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
None of which has anything to do with an incredible speech about putting a crushing conference championship loss into perspective.

Must be great living in a world where everything is black and white. Intellectually lazy and wilidly inaccurate, sure, but incredibly easy nonetheless.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
None of which has anything to do with an incredible speech about putting a crushing conference championship loss into perspective.

Must be great living in a world where everything is black and white. Intellectually lazy and wilidly inaccurate, sure, but incredibly easy nonetheless.

Charles Manson could give that speech and he'd still be a piece of shiittt too.

Giving a speech to a bunch of millionaires who play a game is easy.

Doing the right thing even though it may be bad for you is difficult.

Bottom line, Ray Lewis won't ever be remembered for any locker room speech.

Reaction Score
Ray is one of my favorite pro-athletes of all time...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Bingo.

Reaction Score

THIS!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have no idea what happened during that fight, but he'll be a first-ballot hall of famer and that's what he'll be remembered for.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I have no idea what happened during that fight, but he'll be a first-ballot hall of famer and that's what he'll be remembered for.

Might be the only thing I've ever agreed with you on. You'd be surprised how many people hardly remember that case. Sure, it will be attached to him, but it isn't the first thing that comes to a person's mind like OJ Simpson's trial was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You think it's just coincidental that EVERYONE outside of Baltimore hates the Ravens? Really?

I know you're a Sig Ep, but you can't be that stupid...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Might be the only thing I've ever agreed with you on. You'd be surprised how many people hardly remember that case. Sure, it will be attached to him, but it isn't the first thing that comes to a person's mind like OJ Simpson's trial was.

For me it is.

We all have our shortcomings and misgivings, but I've never been charged with murder and took a plea bargain for obstruction of justice.

Reaction Score
He obstructed, there is nothing to say he is a murderer though.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
A bunch of sworn testimony says you're wrong.

He might not have been "the murderer," but settling with the 2 families of the victims after the fact colors him pretty guilty to me. He knows more than he's let on, and deserves scorn.

Reaction Score
You think it's just coincidental that EVERYONE outside of Baltimore hates the Ravens? Really?

I wasn't aware that you represented the entire country outside of Baltimore. I've been to Baltimore once in my love and I like the Ravens... therefore, your argument is false and you lose credibility.

Reaction Score
Yea unless the only people you ever talk to are AFC North fans, I don't know where you get this idea that everyone hates the Ravens.

And everyone is entitled to their own opinions on the guy, but to most people Ray Lewis is going to be remembered for his NFL career, not whatever happened in that fight.

Reaction Score
He might not have been "the murderer," but settling with the 2 families of the victims after the fact colors him pretty guilty to me. He knows more than he's let on, and deserves scorn.

But trial testimony was consistent in the following:

1) Lewis didn't start the fight
2) He initially separated his friend and tried to get them in the car
3) His friend was hit over the head with a bottle by one of the victims
4) Lewis was never seen with a weapon, only pushing and shoving with the second victim.

Does that make him completely innocent? No. But the judge was pretty harsh with the prosecutors.

The settlement? Plaintiffs aren't going to go away and there's no opportunity to plead to a lesser charge. The whole incident was going to be replayed well after it happened. It was probably worth that much to Lewis just to avoid it.

He deserves scorn for trying to cover for two people who committed manslaughter, were charged with murder by an egotistical weasel of a prosecutor, and ended up being acquitted.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score

Whoa!! Leave my fraternity out of this!

Reaction Score
It is amazing how many of you were present the night of that fight. I am shocked your eye-witness testimony didn't land him in prison for at least 20 years.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
DA's rarely go after high profile people with trumped up charges. Almost never happens in this country. Pffffttt, go take a look through the "Innocence Project" website and see all of the wrongly accused and convicted murderers there. I wasn't there, and don't know the facts, neither was anyone on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom