OT - Ray gets some Boston love from KG | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Ray gets some Boston love from KG

Reaction Score
Lebron and Riley wanted him more I guess.
Ray leaving for more $ is one thing. The manner in which he did it, i.e. ghosting your teammates (who you won a championship with) on your way out is an altogether separate thing.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Offer was on the table by the Celts front office. Regardless of his business decision, Ray owed his teammates an explanation before signing with Miami.

Clearly a jaded Celtics fan to side with KG here.

Yeah, Celtics offered Ray a cheap deal...
ONLY after Miami got involved and made him an offer.
And this was after MONTHS of rumors where Ray's name was openly floated in trade talks... Celtics were trying to deal him and were not hiding it.

Ray felt disrespected. He had no obligation to the team after the organization showed no loyalty to him. You say he "owed the team an explanation?" Give me a break, its a business.

Ray had already wasted how many prime years of his career prior to joining the Celts? He earned the right to be selfish for his legacy and make his own decision. No different than Brady leaving the pats.

This revisionist history of "Ray was selfish and bailed on his teammates" is garbage that gets rehashed by bitter Celts fans every thread about Ray.

Reaction Score
Take a poll of the Celtics organization - from the locker room attendants and parking valets to the execs - and see who they think the tool is.
No thanks. Of course the Celtics like him, he won them a championship and he loved being there.

Reaction Score

And this was after MONTHS of rumors where Ray's name was openly floated in trade talks... Celtics were trying to deal him and were not hiding it.

Ray felt disrespected. He had no obligation to the team after the organization showed no loyalty to him. You say he "owed the team an explanation?" Give me a break, its a business.

Ray had already wasted how many prime years of his career prior to joining the Celts? He earned the right to be selfish for his legacy and make his own decision. No different than Brady leaving the pats.

This revisionist history of "Ray was selfish and bailed on his teammates" is garbage that gets rehashed by bitter Celts fans every thread about Ray.

Reaction Score

My last post on this debate. Go ahead and watch and you be the judge (previous Area 21 video post too). Ray essentially explains he made a mistake in his ESPN interview. His explanations come off pretty desperate as he tries to validate how he left his teammates IMO.

I love Ray. He's a class act and obviously an all-time husky. He dropped the ball on this though with how he left his Celtic teammates. The human element, team comradery, brotherhood, mutual respect, etc. is being swept under the rug. Everyone's over it and bygones can be bygones.

Reaction Score

My last post on this debate. Go ahead and watch and you be the judge (previous Area 21 video post too). Ray essentially explains he made a mistake in his ESPN interview. His explanations come off pretty desperate as he tries to validate how he left his teammates IMO.

I love Ray. He's a class act and obviously an all-time husky. He dropped the ball on this though with how he left his Celtic teammates. The human element, team comradery, brotherhood, mutual respect, etc. is being swept under the rug. Everyone's over it and bygones can be bygones.

Lolz, it's little kid s^^t.

Reaction Score
No thanks. Of course the Celtics like him, he won them a championship and he loved being there.
Its like leaving a company for a rival company, gee I wonde how the company you left is gonna feel about you, especially if you were a good employee.

Reaction Score
Here is a good article from the Boston Globe about the thawing.

“That was a good moment for us, All-Star Weekend,” Allen said. “[Garnett] and I actually exchanged messages the week after. I knew at least he was moving in the direction of letting bygones be bygones. Once I knew we were talking and I was going to be on his show, when I had time. I wasn’t worried about it.”

After a decade-long beef, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen have finally buried the hatchet

Reaction Score

The truth is Ray was beloved in Boston and he and his wife gave back big time. The Celts crapped on Ray trying to trade him and then low balling him. He was rightfully pissed.

On the other side, Ray isn’t always the easiest to get along with. He isn’t a stereotypical pro athlete. He’s a health and nutrition freak, he didn’t party and was first to the gym and last out. Not a really fun guy by NBA standards.

Where Ray messed up with the Celts was by not attending events he was invited to by his teammates. If Ray held a fundraiser, they all showed up. If KG held one, Ray was often a no show. One reason is that Ray is an introvert, the second reason is that Ray and Shannon were really busy doing things in multiple cities and states to better their main causes. It came off as uncaring and selfish. Ray was not selfish, but he may have been a little narrow minded. Still, a lot of the angst surrounding Ray wasn’t about his no shows for charity. It was actually about his no shows for partying. Ray didn’t want to live that lifestyle. It didn’t sit well with KG and Pierce.

Reaction Score

It should be noted that the “cheap offer” was actually twice as much money as Miami gave him, and the Celtics threw in a no-trade clause for good measure.

I think most Boston fans understood why Ray left - his name was floated in trade rumors constantly, and technically he was traded at the deadline that season for OJ Mayo before it fell apart at the last minute. So it’s no surprise he wanted to pick where to end his career. But he went to Miami for half the money on the heels of a bitter 7-game series in the Eastern Conference finals. Literally every fan base would be pissed about that.

Imagine UConn lost a heartbreaker to Duke in the Final Four, and one of their best transferred to Duke immediately after. That wouldn’t bug you at all as a fan?

Reaction Score
Good lord, takes some serious delusion and psychopathy to call Kevin Garnett a loser haha.

I'm not referring to how KG had a losing record during his tenure on the Timberwolves, or how he made it out of the first round only once before he joined a super team.

I'm referring to KG being a baby about Ray leaving the Celtics. He held a pubic grudge for 10 years and it was pathetic.

Reaction Score
Here is a good article from the Boston Globe about the thawing.

“That was a good moment for us, All-Star Weekend,” Allen said. “[Garnett] and I actually exchanged messages the week after. I knew at least he was moving in the direction of letting bygones be bygones. Once I knew we were talking and I was going to be on his show, when I had time. I wasn’t worried about it.”

After a decade-long beef, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen have finally buried the hatchet
That’s so true, they knew each other in SC. Jim recruited Kevin Garnett very hard and were on his final 2 or 3 schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom