OT: Rat | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Rat

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Chipmunks will happily jump off a plank into a bucket of water.

Rats tend to be more clever. You may have to set it so that their weight flips the plank.

Also, big ones can get out of a 5-gal bucket, so if you have cat-sized rats, look into wine grape buckets.

Reaction Score

Rats tend to be more clever. You may have to set it so that their weight flips the plank.

Also, big ones can get out of a 5-gal bucket, so if you have cat-sized rats, look into wine grape buckets.
I don't believe in owning AR 15's but if rats are as big as cats I want a rocket launcher.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
have a Bobcat for a pet. No rats will survive

1594702159215.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Get some opossums. Not only do they eat rodents, they also consume a bunch of deer ticks slowing down the spread of lyme's disease. It's also nearly impossible for them to catch or transmit rabies. Plus, they're really cute.

1594728440063.png

Reaction Score

Found a couple dead chipmunks in our kids' pool once.

Reaction Score
Option 1: BY in one hand, handgun in the other. Tasty beverage by your side.

Option 2: BY in one hand, fishing pole with rat bait on it. Tasty beverage by your side.

Please keep us posted how you do.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Was just having coffee on the patio... 3rd day running w/o a sighting of a rat or a chipmunk. None of the bait was taken, so appears it was simply the smell of mothballs and bleach that drove them away. I'm hoping that sealing up the holes doesn't mean they're dying under my patio, but who knows. Neither me or the dog smells anything yet.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Was just having coffee on the patio... 3rd day running w/o a sighting of a rat or a chipmunk. None of the bait was taken, so appears it was simply the smell of mothballs and bleach that drove them away. I'm hoping that sealing up the holes doesn't mean they're dying under my patio, but who knows. Neither me or the dog smells anything yet.
I trapped a chipmunk under our patio one year, you could smell it for days

Reaction Score
We have a squirrel (I think) that's getting into our garbage. It's weird, we have the traditional back-flip open cans, pretty heavy lid. Every evening we throw a small trash back of dinner prep out, and when I bring it down there's a little bite on every new bag. No mess at all whatsoever, he's just snacking in there? I haven't seen a raccoon at our house in the 5 years we've been here so I'm just assuming it's a squirrel.

Any idea on how to get him to stop? I saw him run away the other day, he's getting quite the quarantine garbage gut!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We have a squirrel (I think) that's getting into our garbage. It's weird, we have the traditional back-flip open cans, pretty heavy lid. Every evening we throw a small trash back of dinner prep out, and when I bring it down there's a little bite on every new bag. No mess at all whatsoever, he's just snacking in there? I haven't seen a raccoon at our house in the 5 years we've been here so I'm just assuming it's a squirrel.

Any idea on how to get him to stop? I saw him run away the other day, he's getting quite the quarantine garbage gut!

sounds more like a chupacara to me. They are tricky. Not good, not good at all. Watch out, they get in the walls.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
sounds more like a chupacara to me. They are tricky. Not good, not good at all. Watch out, they get in the walls.

This is why I always let my dog lick the meat packaging before I toss it. No reason for vampire critters to get into my trash. Estar siempre vigilante, as my PR amigos would say.

Reaction Score
I've waged a personal war with chipmunks that has gone far beyond what any rational person should do. Cayenne pepper and a fake snake in the garden are my latest additions but I haven't seen any in the last two weeks. The solution is a group of three red-tailed hawks in my neighborhood that have been eating squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits all day long. You need to encourage those guys and by using poison the hawks get killed too when they eat an infected critter.

Reaction Score
I've waged a personal war with chipmunks that has gone far beyond what any rational person should do. Cayenne pepper and a fake snake in the garden are my latest additions but I haven't seen any in the last two weeks. The solution is a group of three red-tailed hawks in my neighborhood that have been eating squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits all day long. You need to encourage those guys and by using poison the hawks get killed too when they eat an infected critter.

Do you need a fake owl? I have one that doesn't work here. Maybe it could team up with the snake as a formidable duo?

Reaction Score
Fake snakes- last week I put a bunch out on my dock to keep the ducks off. It worked for a while. Guess I have to go out and move them around.

How long do you suppose I need to move them around for? Like an hour? Should I hiss?

;):D

Reaction Score
Do you need a fake owl? I have one that doesn't work here. Maybe it could team up with the snake as a formidable duo?
I actually had one a couple years ago and the head fell off. Not sure what or who the culprit was on that one but it didn't work very well unless you could get the head to keep bobbing around.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I can relate to this. We used to have neighbors cats who roamed and kept the chipmunks population down. Last year the cats disappeared and we had an owl try to take up residence. But the bluejays (we call them early warning) go ballistic when a bird of prey enters the trees in the neighborhood. They harassed the daylights out
of the owl until he left. This year we had two hawks ( a redtail and another smaller one). Same deal. Jays divebombed them from all sides squawking and pecking everyday until they took off. Kind of fascinating to watch. They probably had eggs and baby birds on their menu as well as chipmunks.

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can relate to this. We used to have neighbors cats who roamed and kept the chipmunks population down. Last year the cats disappeared and we had an owl try to take up residence. But the bluejays (we call them early warning) go ballistic when a bird of prey enters the trees in the neighborhood. They harassed the daylights out
of the owl until he left. This year we had two hawks ( a redtail and another smaller one). Same deal. Jays divebombed them from all sides squawking and pecking everyday until they took off. Kind of fascinating to watch. They probably had eggs and baby birds on their menu as well as chipmunks.
We have a red tail hawk that comes in late summer early fall. It stays for a week or so, after which the chipmunks are gone. The other day I saw a fox with squirrel in its mouth. I was surprised. It usually leaves them alone.

Reaction Score
First sentence had me thinking of this commercial. “Your father says it’s personal this time”. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom