OT Rangers-Caps fight | The Boneyard

OT Rangers-Caps fight

Reaction Score
The whole game felt weird and contrived.

Loved how Smith went after Wilson, but the Rangers absolutely need to get tougher next year. Their current players have an ability to stand up for themselves, but they need to add some muscle to "back up" the current players they have.

Also, hours before the game, the Rangers fire their GM and President.

What a weird week for Rangers fans.

Reaction Score
Can’t blame the rangers at all for this and I actually applaud it. I have no idea how Wilson is still playin the dude been doin dirty stuff for a decade, and before anyone says that’s hockey I don’t think what he does is hockey he is out there tryin to kill dudes

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
As a Sabres fan who’s favorite hockey memories are from ‘06 with Drury, I’m happy for him. Wish he wanted to be in Buffalo because or GMs have stunk, but they’ve been grooming him in NY for a few years.

And I want someone to beat the stink out of Wilson, he’s actually a borderline criminal. I’ll never understand why hockey puts up with goons like him.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
No issue with the Rangers going after Wilson, but the whole thing felt stupid. Wilson wasn’t on the ice for the opening line brawl, so what’s the point? Getting a few shots in on noted pugilist Carl Hagelin serves what purpose? Wilson answered the bell against Smith but, as awful as he is, Wilson is on another level from him.

If you’re going to seek some sort of retribution, you’ve got to get some proper goons on the ice. I’m a Pens fan so I go back to the Isles fiasco in 2012 where they were mad about Brent Johnson knocking out DiPietro so they loaded up with Gillies, Haley, Martin, etc. and turned the game into a circus. As dumb as that was, you need to have that type of artillery if you’re going to try and truly get after Wilson.

Reaction Score
There's fighting in hockey and there's all out being a thug piece of crap. Wilson is that and whatever point the Rangers wanted to make was fine. Whether he's on the ice or not they keep putting him on the ice so screw the whole Caps team. Good for the Rangers.

Weird scenario from Dolan on the firings as I feel davidson was putting together a nice young squad who was very competitive. Can someone fire Dolan?

Reaction Score
The NHL could have avoided the sideshow that was last night’s game if George Parros wasn’t completely incompetent. Department of Player Safety... talk about a misnomer.

Please don’t compare this to Chief-Drummond stories.... but I when I went to college in Binghamton, I interned for the AHL and worked out of Broome County Arena. I used to have beers frequently with guys on the B-Rangers... Domi, Pete Fiorentino, Jeff Bloemberg, Chris Cichocki, etc. Laviolette was an unlikeable guy then, much as he is now.

Best part of the game last night was the MSG broadcast team, in referencing the elevation of Drury, talking about how much they love Colony Grill and the frequency with which Kenny Albert enjoys their pizza.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The Rangers have basically called the NHL discipline guy a goon, and a goon supporter. Fantastic.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This was awesome. With nothing to play for, cant blame the Rangers of making a mockery of the league after Tom Wilson got away with only a 50 k fine.

based on the espn article it made sense.

plus 5k is the Max fine a player can get

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This was awesome. With nothing to play for, cant blame the Rangers of making a mockery of the league after Tom Wilson got away with only a 50 k fine.

LGR!

Reaction Score
No issue with the Rangers going after Wilson, but the whole thing felt stupid. Wilson wasn’t on the ice for the opening line brawl, so what’s the point? Getting a few shots in on noted pugilist Carl Hagelin serves what purpose? Wilson answered the bell against Smith but, as awful as he is, Wilson is on another level from him.

If you’re going to seek some sort of retribution, you’ve got to get some proper goons on the ice. I’m a Pens fan so I go back to the Isles fiasco in 2012 where they were mad about Brent Johnson knocking out DiPietro so they loaded up with Gillies, Haley, Martin, etc. and turned the game into a circus. As dumb as that was, you need to have that type of artillery if you’re going to try and truly get after Wilson.
It was more then just going after Wilson. Going after his other teammates also puts Wilson in a bad position. It was also about putting George Parrros and the NHL in a bad position, basically saying your only gonna fine Wilson 50 K ok fine we’’ll make a mockery of the league and back you into a corner.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

I’m a fan of goon hockey as a 70’s and 80’s kid. Love fights and enforcers and that side of game, there was a twisted honor system to how that worked, but Wilson has no honor, he is out to end a career, and he will, probably that of a superstar. Since NHL doesn’t want to deal with it, the rangers shouldn’t have played with old code honor at face off. They should have waited until Wilson had a shift and butt ended him in throat to crush larynx. Let’s end it .

Reaction Score
Wilson beat up some Rangers. He didn't do anything out of the ordinary for a hockey fight. It was a spontaneous reaction to the Rangers assault on the Caps goalie. The Rangers are acting like a bunch of babies. The Rangers as a team should be fined for makiing a mockery of hockey by their reaction and obviously coordinating their action prior to the slugfest.

BTW, I think Wilson was fined 5K not 50K. So the NHL didn't think this was a big deal.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Washington center was all business from the get go.

Reaction Score
If you’re going to do this move you got to be tough. 4 fights and the rangers looked to go 0-4 in them.
Also, no one dancing with the one guy who really wanted to go (Chara) screams fake tough guy vibes

Reaction Score
Pre-planned line brawls involving guys who don't fight are corny as hell.
Agree on that point. Nothing preplanned, however, about that awesome old-school cross check to the face of Mantha by Buchnevich! Sadly, he will end up with the biggest punishment in this entire saga.

Reaction Score
Wilson beat up some Rangers. He didn't do anything out of the ordinary for a hockey fight. It was a spontaneous reaction to the Rangers assault on the Caps goalie. The Rangers are acting like a bunch of babies. The Rangers as a team should be fined for makiing a mockery of hockey by their reaction and obviously coordinating their action prior to the slugfest.

BTW, I think Wilson was fined 5K not 50K. So the NHL didn't think this was a big deal.
Wait. You call what precipitated the whole thing an “assault” but Wilson “didn’t do anything out of the ordinary” when he punched a prone-on-the-ice Buchnevich and then body slammed a helmet-less Panerin - who avoided a head injury or worse by luckily first making contact with the ice with his shoulder? I must say... pretty twisted analysis of some reckless actions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wait. You call what precipitated the whole thing an “assault” but Wilson “didn’t do anything out of the ordinary” when he punched a prone-on-the-ice Buchnevich and then body slammed a helmet-less Panerin - who avoided a head injury or worse by luckily first making contact with the ice with his shoulder? I must say... pretty twisted analysis of some recklessness actions.
The fine was sufficient punishment. The league was correct in their ruling. If this happened to any other player we wouldn't even be talking about this. It's all fake social media outrage.

Reaction Score

That was some lame fight. Embarrassing more than anything.

Reaction Score
Hockey and its players are so frickin stupid it’s amazing, bunch of 13 year olds

Reaction Score
The fact that any professional freaking sport allows fighting is beyond me. It is shockingly, shockingly stupid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom