OT: Question for the teachers | The Boneyard

OT: Question for the teachers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My sister is a high school teacher and constantly complains that the kids in her class are addicted to their phones and constantly use them during class to text, play games and surf the internet.

My obvious response is: Don't let them use their phones.

She says that she tells them first thing to turn the phones off and put them away in a pocket or backpack. But, they don't listen or sneak them out as class goes on.

My obvious response is: Put a basket on your desk and make them drop their phone in there as they enter.

She says they won't do it and would have their parents call to complain.

At the end of the discussion, my stance is always "You don't have control over the kids. If you want them to do something like this, make it happen or stop complaining" and her stance is always "You don't teach teenage kids for a living and you don't understand."

So, what don't I understand here? If the kid won't listen, send them to the Principal. If the parent complains, tell them that's your classroom rule and if they need to get in touch with during your class time, they can call the front office number. What am I missing?

Reaction Score
If she's catching them do it, are they not getting detentions when that happens?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My sister is a high school teacher and constantly complains that the kids in her class are addicted to their phones and constantly use them during class to text, play games and surf the internet.

She says that she tells them first thing to turn the phones off and put them away in a pocket or backpack. But, they don't listen or sneak them out as class goes on.

My obvious response is: Put a basket on your desk and make them drop their phone in there as they enter.

At the end of the discussion, my stance is always "You don't have control over the kids. If you want them to do something like this, make it happen or stop complaining" and her stance is always "You don't teach teenage kids for a living and you don't understand."

So, what don't I understand here? If the kid won't listen, send them to the Principal. If the parent complains, tell them that's your classroom rule and if they need to get in touch with during your class time, they can call the front office number. What am I missing?

If I see a phone, I take it, and text "mom" in their contact list, saying, "I love you, mom. What can I do tonight to make your life easier? Mow the lawn? Cook? Name it!"

My school has an off and away policy. I seriously do this, but it would be worthless without a school policy.

Last edited:

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I went to high school right around the time every teenager began having phones. First offense was generally just "Put the phone away." After that it was having it taken away. After that it escalated to any number of things like detention, grade deductions for poor participation, additional assignments, etc.

At the end of the day, what the teacher says goes. No one is getting in trouble with the administration because they took a kids phone away during class after a warning. Then again, my classmates were generally not asshats as far as high school students go.

Edit: Another one I just remembered - For the cases of a student who just wouldn't care about detention and that kind of stuff, one of my teachers would let the rest of class do something fun for the last 10 minutes of class while that kid had to continue working on whatever. For some kids, those 10 minutes could be more annoying than an hour of detention.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My kids high school gave up, opened up WiFi to students and incorporated smart phone, laptop, tablet use into the curriculum. I agree with Deepster's world view, however. Though I'm not a teacher, I have worked with teens in larger groups and longer time periods than a classroom setting and instituted a no cellphone policy that was embraced after the expected blow back. I acknowledge that that's an apples to oranges comparison, however, as attendance wasn't compulsory.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Your sister has to start next year as the windshield, not the bug.

Won't be easy but when kids see others get disiplined then they hopefully follow the rules.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Ruling with an iron fist is great and all, but that style of discipline just will not work in every district.

Reaction Score
Is it time to put cameras in classrooms so the parents can view their kids? I go to resturants and see parents and kids on their phones and not talking to each other. I see parents driving their kids to school and both are on their phones.

The phone is like an extension of a person nowadays equal to one's eyes, hands, voice, etc..

Lastly I see kids (and adults) texting and flying through stop signs and red lights, its messed up out here.

Sorry didn't mean to railroad this, end of rant.

Reaction Score
Ruling with an iron fist is great and all, but that style of discipline just will not work in every district.

Is that really ruling with an iron fist? Asking that you pay attention to the teacher and not texting your friends?

What if a kid is using bomb every 3rd word? Are you ruling with an iron fist to say that's unacceptable too? Schools have a structure and rules to follow. No?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I should add - in my school, a phone is taken away and a parent has to retrieve the phone after school hours. This is after one warning. Parents care more when they are inconvenienced.

That...is the answer.

Of course, my kid goes to Catholic school where we got a letter home when the swoosh on our 10-year old's Nikes was too colorful and violated the "white sneaker" rule.

Reaction Score
Imagine if we weren't allowed on The Boneyard while working. What should our bosses do as punishment???

Reaction Score
Imagine if we weren't allowed on The Boneyard while working. What should our bosses do as punishment???

images

Shhhhh. . . . . . . . . . . . . . don't wake up the kids.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Is that really ruling with an iron fist? Asking that you pay attention to the teacher and not texting your friends?

What if a kid is using bomb every 3rd word? Are you ruling with an iron fist to say that's unacceptable too? Schools have a structure and rules to follow. No?

In a perfect world, you're absolutely right that would be great. I'm just it's not as simple as "My way or the highway!" because half the school (or more) would get suspended.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
In a perfect world, you're absolutely right that would be great. I'm just it's not as simple as "My way or the highway!" because half the school (or more) would get suspended.
You don't need to suspend them, you just need to figure out what punishments (or reinforcements) will actually get them to listen. "Because I said so" will obviously fall on deaf ears most of the time.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You don't need to suspend them, you just need to figure out what punishments (or reinforcements) will actually get them to listen. "Because I said so" will obviously fall on deaf ears most of the time.

There aren't enough resources in the school to implement a system where you're actively challenging a kid every time they act up in the slightest. You have to let stuff go if you want to have any chance of teaching the other kids anything, otherwise you just turn into a babysitter.

I'm not talking about every district, just some.

Reaction Score
My school has interesting approach.
1st is a teacher warning
2nd time teacher takes it to the end of class
3rd time it goes to the office and a parent has to pick it up

It works well

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That...is the answer.

Of course, my kid goes to Catholic school where we got a letter home when the swoosh on our 10-year old's Nikes was too colorful and violated the "white sneaker" rule.

White sneakers. Just Do It!

Sincerely,

Sister Agnes

Reaction Score
Another teacher-type question:

Where are all these hot teachers coming from who are banging their students? I didn't have any of those this needs to stop, kids need to be smarter!:oops:

Reaction Score

I can answer this... she doesn't want your solutions... she just wants your sympathy. At least that's what I have learned the hard way in 35 years of marriage.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My kids high school gave up, opened up WiFi to students and incorporated smart phone, laptop, tablet use into the curriculum. I agree with Deepster's world view, however. Though I'm not a teacher, I have worked with teens in larger groups and longer time periods than a classroom setting and instituted a no cellphone policy that was embraced after the expected blow back. I acknowledge that that's an apples to oranges comparison, however, as attendance wasn't compulsory.
Our entire school system gave up two years ago and did the same and I don't like it either. As a result, our 14-year old is far more addicted to it than our 16-year old is, as the older one went longer in school before the policy change.

I fought for the Catholic school option and was rejected. Hoping that perhaps I may prevail with our youngest when we see how the public school turns out with her older sisters.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Is it time to put cameras in classrooms so the parents can view their kids? I go to resturants and see parents and kids on their phones and not talking to each other. I see parents driving their kids to school and both are on their phones.

The phone is like an extension of a person nowadays equal to one's eyes, hands, voice, etc..

Lastly I see kids (and adults) texting and flying through stop signs and red lights, its messed up out here.

Sorry didn't mean to railroad this, end of rant.

Most teachers don't want cameras in the classroom any more than the students.

Jim

Reaction Score
Kids are feeling peer pressure to look at/use their phones, so the teacher needs to apply peer pressure to get kids to stop. The teacher should have a policy where if anyone gets caught using a phone during class, the class stops for a pop quiz which will count towards final grades. One of two things will occur: kids will stop using their phones if classmates keep failing quizzes, or all the kids will be studying harder and not failing when someone else breaks the rule.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

It works in every district, just not in every situation.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I
Most teachers don't want cameras in the classroom any more than the students.

I read that as the teachers not wanting cameras OR students in their classroom. "I'd like this job a lot better without all these damned kids in here breaking my concentration."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom