OT: Pssst, Tiger Finished Second This Weekend | The Boneyard

OT: Pssst, Tiger Finished Second This Weekend

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't the cameras follow him. Todays top rankers all act like Stepford Husbands on the golf course. You might see some emotion on the 72nd hole when a gorgeous wife and the bambino rush out to fall into the arms of the conquering hero, who sheds a tear or two.

I grew up following Arnold Palmer and hating Jack Nicholson. Smiling Arnold with the weird swing and the big charges. Jack the scowling machine. And the tour had lots of personality, Che Che and Lee Trevino, Gary Player etc etc etc. Even when Tiger was at his best his carefully controlled fake image and totally closed off behavior was forgiven for his magnificent golf. Now he is the comeback kid... maybe. He's still The Headliner. And he just might pull off the Masters, which would be a story and a half. Reminds me of another aging athlete:

Heck, if Tiger wins the Masters maybe Buick will put him back in the driver's seat.

Wadda you think?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't the cameras follow him. Todays top rankers all act like Stepford Husbands on the golf course. You might see some emotion on the 72nd hole when a gorgeous wife and the bambino rush out to fall into the arms of the conquering hero, who shed a tear or two.

I grew up following Arnold Palmer and hating Jack Nicholson. Smiling Arnold with the weird swing and the big charges. Jack the scowling machine. And the tour had lots of personality, Che Che and Lee Trevino, Gary Player etc etc etc. Even when Tiger was at his best his carefully controlled fake image and totally closed off behavior was forgiven for his magnificent golf. Now he is the comeback kid... maybe. He's still The Headliner. And he just might pull off the Masters, which would be a story and a half. Reminds me of another aging athlete:

Was calling Jack Nicklaus “Jack Nicholson” on your bucket list?

But I tend to agree about the plastic kids on tour today. Maybe they’ll relax when they age. I saw Arnold at the original Hartford ICO in Wethersfield. He was young but already a big winner and favorite. He was in the second to last group and it was the final day. He was playing with an unknown. Arnie kept talking to the gallery, usually reminding everyone that they needed to be courteous to his partner who wanted to win every bit as much as he did. Great guy. He didn’t win.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Guess I had Nicholson on the brain after the ESPN shot of him having to show his pass to fight his way to his court side seat for the LA/Cavs game last night. Time hasn't treated Jack well. Sort of a reverse Dorian Gray thing. The announcer: "well it's understandable; he hasn't been in a movie since 2010." Ouch.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

But I tend to agree about the plastic kids on tour today. Maybe they’ll relax when they age. I saw Arnold at the original Hartford ICO in Wethersfield. He was young but already a big winner and favorite. He was in the second to last group and it was the final day. He was playing with an unknown. Arnie kept talking to the gallery, usually reminding everyone that they needed to be courteous to his partner who wanted to win every bit as much as he did. Great guy. He didn’t win.

I use to watch them all every year walking the Westchester Country Club when the tournament was called the Westchester Classic. Before that the Thunderbird I think. The course has some great viewing sites where you can see the action on 3 holes. My big thrills were talking to Julius Boros (sp?) and Ray Floyd when they had to wait for their second shots on a down hill par 4.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Thread swerve alert: My big pro golf moment came in the 80s at a women's tournament in Hershey PA. I was standing near the exit area of one of the greens and I was obviously too close because one of Jan Stephenson's entourage/bodyguards pushed me back a little bit as she was headed to the next tee. She apologized to me for his actions.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Guess I had Nicholson on the brain after the ESPN shot of him having to show his pass to fight his way to his court side seat for the LA/Cavs game last night. Time hasn't treated Jack well. Sort of a reverse Dorian Gray thing. The announcer: "well it's understandable; he hasn't been in a movie since 2010." Ouch.
He's freaking 80 years old. Time don't treat anyone at that age well. 3 Oscars (12 nominations), 6 Golden Globes (17 nominations), I'd say he's done enough.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I use to watch them all every year walking the Westchester Country Club when the tournament was called the Westchester Classic. Before that the Thunderbird I think. The course has some great viewing sites where you can see the action on 3 holes. My big thrills were talking to Julius Boros (sp?) and Ray Floyd when they had to wait for their second shots on a down hill par 4.
Boros was one of a kind. Took so little time over putts. My father was a golfer and got me into it. My mom had a physical disability but liked to watch golf on TV. Floyd was her favorite. I actually use a tip that Floyd gave once and have come very close to being great with it, the only great thing I can usually do on purpose on a golf course . He used a 5 iron from the fringe out to a few feet from the green. Used a putting stroke but got the ball slightly air borne over the fringe and then let it roll out. I almost always threaten the cup if I don’t sink. Thank you Raymond.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
He's freaking 80 years old. Time don't treat anyone at that age well. 3 Oscars (12 nominations), 6 Golden Globes (17 nominations), I'd say he's done enough.
So true. I've said many times that time is the world's greatest thief. Ultimately it takes from you everything you hold dear. At the end, if you're not careful, it will even take your dignity. It looks as if Jack's holding on to the last with both hands.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
So true. I've said many times that time is the world's greatest thief. Ultimately it takes from you everything you hold dear. At the end, if you're not careful, it will even take your dignity. It looks as if Jack's holding on to the last with both hands.

I’m slightly older than the Pres. My wife and , 2 years younger, travel all over the place. I figure get in what I can while I can. I encounter travelers in their late eighties, but not too often.:(

On a good day I can still drive a golf ball 215, downhill with a helping wind from the white tees.;) Blues are a thing of the past unless the course is really short.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was at the Valspar on Thursday. Both Spieth and McIlroy missed the cut. I saw Tiger play 2 holes, and he was masterful, making birdies on short putts on both.

The tournament activated its contingency plan once Tiger finalized his appearance. I was there last year, and the gallery was a modest size. It was very large--and loud--this year. I believe the attendance increased by about 15,000 each day relative to last year. The crowd following Tiger was about that size--5 to 10 people deep from tee to green. According to the Washington Post, the Saturday viewership was the highest of any tournament on Saturday in the past 12 years and nearly triple that of the Saturday at last year's Valspar.

Is Tiger back? His long-time friend and Stanford teammate Notah Begay referenced Tiger's history that included "public humiliation" and major medical issues (4 knee surgeries and 4 back surgeries, including a fused spine, which no one on the PGA tour had ever had). On Saturday, his club head speed measured 129 mph--the highest on tour by anyone this year.

He looked calm and in control. His fist pumps were subdued. Instead, he smiled a lot after a good shot. He really enjoyed the crowds. He looks like a different person, but with 2008 skill levels.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Thread swerve alert: My big pro golf moment came in the 80s at a women's tournament in Hershey PA. I was standing near the exit area of one of the greens and I was obviously too close because one of Jan Stephenson's entourage/bodyguards pushed me back a little bit as she was headed to the next tee. She apologized to me for his actions.

Well I understand the urge to get too close to Jan!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I was at the Valspar on Thursday. Both Spieth and McIlroy missed the cut. I saw Tiger play 2 holes, and he was masterful, making birdies on short putts on both.

The tournament activated its contingency plan once Tiger finalized his appearance. I was there last year, and the gallery was a modest size. It was very large--and loud--this year. I believe the attendance increased by about 15,000 each day relative to last year. The crowd following Tiger was about that size--5 to 10 people deep from tee to green. According to the Washington Post, the Saturday viewership was the highest of any tournament on Saturday in the past 12 years and nearly triple that of the Saturday at last year's Valspar.

Is Tiger back? His long-time friend and Stanford teammate Notah Begay referenced Tiger's history that included "public humiliation" and major medical issues (4 knee surgeries and 4 back surgeries, including a fused spine, which no one on the PGA tour had ever had). On Saturday, his club head speed measured 129 mph--the highest on tour by anyone this year.

He looked calm and in control. His fist pumps were subdued. Instead, he smiled a lot after a good shot. He really enjoyed the crowds. He looks like a different person, but with 2008 skill levels.

I am amazed at the club head speed given what looks like a shortened back swing. He was spraying things earlier this year, which is understandable. He's getting more out of quicker wrists and weight shift maybe, but maybe his bat is corked! ;)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I wonder how the attendance compared to 2016. I imagine last year was especially down. 2016 at least had the lure of Spieth as defending champion. Of course, that's nothing compared to the lure of Tiger.

I like this tournament and this course. The course looks beautiful on TV and it's actually a challenge rather than a birdie-fest. Hopefully, the big name players continue to play it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I was one of many who felt that after 4 back surgeries, Tiger would never win again. But after his performance this past week, now I feel it’s just a matter of time.

I just hope that fused back holds up. I suspect Tiger is very sensitive to the weather now too, so he'll be picking his spots. Don't see him trying to win the British Open.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Tiger’s reputation will never be remediated in my eyes. He’s just one more person granted immunity for terrible behavior because he happens to be good at a sport. He isn’t worth the time of day on a forum that celebrates a women’s team.

OK. Then let's celebrate Wie's victory in Singapore with that absolutely magnificent 35 ft. putt on the 18.

Reaction Score
Tiger’s reputation will never be remediated in my eyes. He’s just one more person granted immunity for terrible behavior because he happens to be good at a sport. He isn’t worth the time of day on a forum that celebrates a women’s team.
So much agree.........Tiger is a perfect example of how the media can make or break someone, even when they don’t deserve it. While a tremendous golfer, Tiger spewed vulgarities on the course, threw tamper tandroms after poor shots, wouldnt be interviewed after bad rounds and was hated by most golfers of his generation. But, the media loved him for his rating and the crowds he drew so they kissed up to him. Even after his extracurricular activities surfaced they continued to play up to him like a God. Maybe some of these new guys aren’t quite the personality of an Arnold, Chi Chi or Trevino, but so far I see better sportsmanship and class on the course than Tiger ever displayed. Tiger doesn’t deserve the attention he’s getting, but hey, we need the ratings to generate profits, so we’ll overlook the awful, awful behavior.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I never followed or cared about Tiger during his prime days. His arrogance was too much for me and golf in general is not something I follow. However, with all his medical trials (as well as personal issues), he seems to be much more humble and appreciative so I hope he does well. On the other hand, I have heard that the general friendliness of the players on the LPGA tour is far better than the PGA ( a clear function of the disparity in event purses I imagine) and it is a shame that there are no US women's players that can be considered near the top of the game to exercise some fandom. The last woman's player I followed with interest was the New Zealand Phenom Lydia Ko who had such a wonderful start to her career and played with a lot of charm as a teenager but her game simply collapsed when she started to tinker with her stroke / change coaches etc. :(

I see in this thread that Michelle Wie was mentioned as a player to celebrate with her first Tour win in a very long while. I hope she does well but from what I see, she is so inconsistent, I cant watch with my eyes open.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well hopefully he can keep it up after the college basketball season is over...... cause it will be a long 4.5 months til NFL training camps start.

that's what OT topics are for.......... right? :confused:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Between Phil, Michelle Wie, and Tiger, it's been a good couple weeks for folks who might not have been expected to ever win again.

Loved that 35 foot putt off the green on the 72nd hole by Michelle. Reminded me of the 17th hole of the U.S. Open with the fist pump and the energy.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I it is a shame that there are no US women's players that can be considered near the top of the game to exercise some fandom. The last woman's player I followed with interest was the New Zealand Phenom Lydia Ko who had such a wonderful start to her career and played with a lot of charm as a teenager but her game simply collapsed when she started to tinker with her stroke / change coaches etc. :(

I see in this thread that Michelle Wie was mentioned as a player to celebrate with her first Tour win in a very long while. I hope she does well but from what I see, she is so inconsistent, I cant watch with my eyes open.

Lexi Thompson is currently ranked #2 in the world. Cristie Kerr, Jessica Korda, Wie, and Danielle Kang are all in the top 20 as well.

Ko is my favorite as well. She certainly is nowhere near the form that made her #1 in the world. But I still hold hopes for a resurgence.

She was in the top 10 last time out and had 4 top-5 finishes between September and November. The talent is still there. She just needs to settle on a coach and caddie and build confidence with a string of good results. Sometimes I think players who experience success at a very young age are almost too young too feel pressure. Now that she's a little bit older the weight of pressure and expectations seems to be bothering her.

Wie had a sneaky solid year last year. If she can stay healthy, I can see her keeping it going.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom