OT: Proper Cloth | The Boneyard

OT: Proper Cloth

Reaction Score
Anyone use them before? Just bought a dress shirt from them. I am normally a Men's Warehouse guy, but they have an awful selection for my size of dress shirt. I picked up three of them from there today and only one if the three fit because the other two were "slim fit". My wrists aren't even slim.

I like that Proper Cloth has a billion (maybe a few less) fabric options and they seem to have a good algorithm for the sizing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dress shirts are a bitch. If they fit my neck they are baggy. Dry cleaner shrinks the crap out of the cuffs and collars on most brands. I looked at Proper Cloth but never tried them. Liked Paul Frederick best back when I had to wear them. Nice variety of fabrics and long lasting. Lands End shirts were nice when new, shrank like crazy though.

Fortunately I can now be casual every day if I want. I started grabbing $19 shirts at BJs Wholesale, and you know what, they are fine. Makes it easier to just toss them once the dry cleaner wrecks them, but they hold up about an average period anyway.

Reaction Score
Custom made dress shirts done in person at a tailor are the way to go. You'll never go back once you get one

Reaction Score
Dress shirts are a bitch. If they fit my neck they are baggy. Dry cleaner shrinks the crap out of the cuffs and collars on most brands. I looked at Proper Cloth but never tried them. Liked Paul Frederick best back when I had to wear them. Nice variety of fabrics and long lasting. Lands End shirts were nice when new, shrank like crazy though.

Fortunately I can now be casual every day if I want. I started grabbing $19 shirts at BJs Wholesale, and you know what, they are fine. Makes it easier to just toss them once the dry cleaner wrecks them, but they hold up about an average period anyway.
The shirt I ordered should be here the first week of April, I'll let you know how it is.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I’m a big fan of Charles Tyrwhitt shirts when I can get them 3 for $90 or $99.

I second this. Good quality, great customer service. I have a closet full of them. I have an in-between sleeve length and they will alter them for $12.95; it's a godsend.

Reaction Score
I second this. Good quality, great customer service. I have a closet full of them. I have an in-between sleeve length and they will alter them for $12.95; it's a godsend.

Yupp I’m a 16/35 and it’s rare to find that exact combo, but they have it on practically every shirt. I think I’m up to 7 or 8 of them now. I strictly only buy the non-iron shirts because the regular shirts wrinkle pretty easily. The extra slim fit shirts fit me better than any other brand I’ve worn.

The only downside I find is a lack of color variation. The majority of their colors are white & blue.

Reaction Score
Buy my sons shirts for him at Marshall’s or TJ Maxx he loves the Michael Kors shirts as well as Ralph Lauren. Able to find them from 21.99 Kors to 39.99 for the Polo’s. He’s a 17 1/2 35-36 so sometimes hard to find so the occasional Hilfiger, Izod or Nautica are looking good for 19.99.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I like them

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Indochino is the way to go. I own a bunch of CTshirts as well they are solid but even if you get them slim fit they need to be tailored. I've done BB and they are awful at best.

Reaction Score
Bespoke is the only way to go.

Get good bespoke shirts and suits and they’ll not only look much better, but they’ll Last longer.

I think I’ve got 10 custom suits and 25 custom shirts. I just get 5 shirts and a suit or maybe two every 2-3 years.

I use a guy from Taiwan that comes to the states every yearand hits all the major markets.

Tons of fabric options, cuffs, collars, etc. not cheap but well worth it, for me anyway.

Reaction Score
Bespoke is the only way to go.

Get good bespoke shirts and suits and they’ll not only look much better, but they’ll Last longer.

I think I’ve got 10 custom suits and 25 custom shirts. I just get 5 shirts and a suit or maybe two every 2-3 years.

I use a guy from Taiwan that comes to the states every yearand hits all the major markets.

Tons of fabric options, cuffs, collars, etc. not cheap but well worth it, for me anyway.
Seconded

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I’m a big fan of Charles Tyrwhitt shirts when I can get them 3 for $90 or $99.
I just got a bunch from my daughter and son in law for Christmas. Charles Tyrwhitt shirts are great. Still wait and see how they hold up in cleaners over time but my son in law swears by them

Reaction Score
Lands end no wrinkle works. Twice a year they go on crazy sale

Reaction Score
I just got a bunch from my daughter and son in law for Christmas. Charles Tyrwhitt shirts are great. Still wait and see how they hold up in cleaners over time but my son in law swears by them

They're great. I'm had mine for over a year and they've held up really well. To be honest, I have the non-iron shirts so I haven;t taken them to the cleaners once.

Reaction Score
Custom made dress shirts done in person at a tailor are the way to go. You'll never go back once you get one

Agreed. I get mine made at Tom James. They come to my office and measure and then ship them when they are done. Not cheap but super high quality and perfect fit.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I hate buying dress shirts. I just went to Nordstrom and tried on two of the same shirt— 16.5 and 17. 16.5 had buttons popping off and 17 was a parachute. Oddly enough the shirts that fit me best (5’10” 230 lbs, 5 cellphones, triathlete...) are XL slim fit at Gap/Old Navy. Unfortunately the Old Navy ones only hold their size and shape through 3 or 4 wash and wears.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
A proper cloth for people of the cloth:
CM Almy

When I saw the thread title I thought you were looking for clerical wear

Reaction Score
I have three shirts from Proper Cloth and I'm very pleased with all of them.

The fit of each was right on the money on arrival, and the fabrics feel good and have original style while remaining understated.

To compare, I had three shirts made at a very well reviewed tailor in Thailand, but two of them just aren't in the same class as the ones I got from Proper Cloth. Fabric and fit aren't as good, even though I chose the fabrics in person and went for two fittings.

Mine are all casual shirts, so I can't speak to the quality of PC's dress shirts. (Yeah, I admit I'm just a casual shirt wearer.)

Still, I gotta think their attention to detail carries over to all their products.

Reaction Score
Am I just cheap that I feel like taking a $100 flyer on a shirt from Proper Cloth feels too expensive?

no you're just not a fancy rich boy like a lot of these people. I'm not spending anywhere close to $100 on a damn dress shirt. I have crazy long arms, and have found that Express tall shirts actually fit me sometimes. Problem is they are shifting to increasingly slim fit, and extra extra slim fit now, and while I'm not a chunker, I'm not a slim fit. The shirts there seem to be pretty high quality to me, have a little bit of stretch to them and they have a number of different fits so you can find something that feels tailored while not costing a ridiculous amount

Reaction Score
I've purchased MTM shirts from Luxire and Ratio, haven't tried Proper Cloth yet. Luxire is my go-to; they have the most customization options, the best value, and free shipping. If you are worried about the process of MTM, you can send a shirt you already own that fits perfectly to Luxire and they will mimic its dimensions on your new custom shirts.

Spier and Mackay is another great option folks should check out. Based in Toronto.

Reaction Score
Am I just cheap that I feel like taking a $100 flyer on a shirt from Proper Cloth feels too expensive?

Ratio has (or had) a no-risk offer for new customers. Buy your first custom shirt from them and it doesn't fit they'll alter or remake the shirt at no additional charge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom