OT: Pope is resigning | The Boneyard

OT: Pope is resigning

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Citing frailty, he takes the near-unprecedented step on 2/28.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Allows him to oversee his replacement. The Grand Inquisitor will ensure a third world conservative receives the ring

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Many believe that Archbishop Peter Turkson of Ghana is the leading insider at age 63. He would have the potential for a significantly long presence in Rome. Having education in the US and being respected for his work in the third world many feel he is a name that different groups might coalesce around.

Others lean towards one of the Archbishops from South America like San Paolo, Brazil or Marc Oullette from Montreal.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Quebec for the compromise. A non-European Pope is one thing. A third world Pope would be Revolutionary.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I see Pope Benedict taking on the job as Commissioner of the new wcbb conference being formed by the Catholic Seven leaving the Big East. You think Notre Dame gets favorable consideration from refs? Just imagine the calls/non-calls with this commish at courtside!

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Think he will try to collect Unemployment Compensation? I hear The Vatican has a pretty strong Quits and Fires ordinance.

JS

Reaction Score
Here's your chance, Monsignor!
1411.jpg

Archbishop Fulton Sheen would be a great candidate, subject to three reservations:

1) He has the disadvantage of being older than Pope Benedict.

2) He has the even greater disadvantage of having been dead for over 30 years.

3) He may have greater aspirations than mere pope.

The process toward Sheen's beatification continued last year with his designation as a "Venerable" Servant of God.

While papal saints were more common back in the day -- way back in the day --there have been fewer than 10 popes beatified in the last 1,000 years.

So, "Wirechief," if you insist on being thusly called, I can see how you might have "no plans" to run for the office.

Reaction Score
Many believe that Archbishop Peter Turkson of Ghana is the leading insider at age 63. He would have the potential for a significantly long presence in Rome. Having education in the US and being respected for his work in the third world many feel he is a name that different groups might coalesce around.

Others lean towards one of the Archbishops from South America like San Paolo, Brazil or Marc Oullette from Montreal.
I got an enthusiastic e-mail about a cardinal from the Philippines. Lots of third world possibilities--but they said that last time, too.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
I hope so. The Catholic church has paid $3 billion in lawsuits for the cover up and protection for the priests who sexually abused children.

Most of the cover up and protection lawsuits failed and simple damages were awarded for a renegade priest. Most often a dead priest. Second most often currently a defrocked or laicized priest.

Abuse reported in a timely manner today is immediately acted on.

The Hartford Diocese had 3 reports in 19 years of then current abuse and 2 solicitation charges resulting in 1 acquittal for abuse, 2 laicizations for internet solicitation, 1 jail sentence for rape of a young woman, and 1 priest still in the orders after 1 improper touching charge was deemed too weak for trial. He's in a priest retirement community.

Nothing beats timely reporting. It eliminates the multiple victim scenarios and eliminates damage payments and is instead a criminal matter.

Reaction Score
Most of the cover up and protection lawsuits failed and simple damages were awarded for a renegade priest. Most often a dead priest. Second most often currently a defrocked or laicized priest.

Abuse reported in a timely manner today is immediately acted on.

The Hartford Diocese had 3 reports in 19 years of then current abuse and 2 solicitation charges resulting in 1 acquittal for abuse, 2 laicizations for internet solicitation, 1 jail sentence for rape of a young woman, and 1 priest still in the orders after 1 improper touching charge was deemed too weak for trial. He's in a priest retirement community.

Nothing beats timely reporting. It eliminates the multiple victim scenarios and eliminates damage payments and is instead a criminal matter.

Victims of abuse often do not report in a timely manner due to the age when they were assaulted. See PSU. $3 billion bucks paid by the Catholic church for their cover up of bad priests cannot be disputed.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Mike Pope, the Asst. coach of the Giants is resigning???

Reaction Score
Victims of abuse often do not report in a timely manner due to the age when they were assaulted. See PSU. $3 billion bucks paid by the Catholic church for their cover up of bad priests cannot be disputed.
One legal advantage of suits against the Catholic Church is they are a centralized and structurally well-defined organization. Good luck against Muslim abuses or the recent case illustrated here:

http://tinyurl.com/a64ptmr

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

We've seen just the tip of the iceberg. Unfortunately, the remainder will stay submerged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom