OT: Pitt | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Pitt

Reaction Score
Guys, we are in absolutely no position to make fun of any other P5 team for a horrible loss. All any team has to do is turn around and point at losses, in recent years, to Yale, Northeastern, Wagner and Houston when they were bad. Plus narrow escapes galore these past few years against non P5 teams (like BU and LMU to name a few). To be real, this is unmerited, unwarranted schadenfreude. And in the end, at least Pitt is in a better conference, which cushions the blow of this type of loss, where as Uconn can not handle too many more of these.
You are correct. Compared to our conference no matter how they suck they are in better position than we are. If the AAC makes a major improvement that can change, but we need several programs to be and stay in the top 25 consistently boosting everyone's schedule. We seem to have that at least at the outset of this year. May it improve with us joining the top 25.

Reaction Score
Guys, we are in absolutely no position to make fun of any other P5 team for a horrible loss. All any team has to do is turn around and point at losses, in recent years, to Yale, Northeastern, Wagner and Houston when they were bad. Plus narrow escapes galore these past few years against non P5 teams (like BU and LMU to name a few). To be real, this is unmerited, unwarranted schadenfreude. And in the end, at least Pitt is in a better conference, which cushions the blow of this type of loss, where as Uconn can not handle too many more of these.
Yes, we are in a position to make fun of other teams. We're 1-0.

Reaction Score
You are correct. Compared to our conference no matter how they suck they are in better position than we are. If the AAC makes a major improvement that can change, but we need several programs to be and stay in the top 25 consistently boosting everyone's schedule. We seem to have that at least at the outset of this year. May it improve with us joining the top 25.

Yes, their conference situation is better, but THEIR situation is not. Over the next 10 years, I think UConn will have more basketball success than Pitt.

Reaction Score
Kevin Stallings is an above average college basketball coach and he has had success. And he has put kids into the NBA. But, Pitt faces bigger LT problems in the ACC. In the Big East, Pitt developed into one of the top programs. They played a very physical style of basketball and they really lived off players from NY. Now, they play in the ACC which will not allow the physical play and they don't play in NY anymore. Can they win playing more offensive style basketball in the ACC? I'm skeptical that Pitt can recruit the top recruits to be a consistent winner in the ACC.

Pitt's upside is probably a mid tier basketball program in the ACC which is not that attractive to top young basketball coaches.
R U saying the ACC needs a NYC team
I know of one. I think the’re available.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I forgot the academies had basketball.
634f006774763341bee237fda4e48c80.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Being from/living in Pittsburgh, the downfall of Pitt athletics is equal parts satisfying and maddening.

The big debate locally is whether they should be tarping off the upper deck of Heinz Field for football and basketball just seems rudderless. I agree that Stallings is a good coach, but that program needs a salesman as even when they were winning, they were boring to watch...now that they're a door mat, it's even worse. The PG Carr looks like a player to watch and the CT kid Wilson-Frame can fill it up...beyond that, it's a really bad team that may not win a conference game or even have a winning non-conference record.

As much fun as it is to see all my Pitt friends in misery, they're still cashing those ACC checks. Ive gotten most of them to realize their teams would likely be much better had they gone to the AAC, but at this point it doesn't matter.

What part of Pittsburgh are you in?

Reaction Score
Tie game with a minute left. Looks like there are less than a thousand people in the stands.

Reaction Score
I won't take joy in anyone elses misery, because our program is still pretty fragile. Well, unless it's Cuse of course,

Reaction Score
0-2 sucks.
They should have scheduled USF instead of Navy and Montana.
Pitt: my least favorite former BE fanbase.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You are overly dramatic and overboard on this

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yes, their conference situation is better, but THEIR situation is not. Over the next 10 years, I think UConn will have more basketball success than Pitt.
over the next 10 years???
When in the past 20 years has Pitt had more success than UConn?

Reaction Score
Hard to believe what has happened to Pitt and BC since leaving for the ACC. Flutie effect backfired? Once they get into the ACC, they just give up, be happy and kiss the rear ends of southern schools, hoping they stay in the conference?!

Reaction Score
Hard to believe what has happened to Pitt and BC since leaving for the ACC. Flutie effect backfired? Once they get into the ACC, they just give up, be happy and kiss the rear ends of southern schools, hoping they stay in the conference?!

BC had a mild renaissance under Skinner late in their BE days (Jared Dudley years?) but they were awful for a whole decade before that. Remember the 25+ straight losses to UConn?

Pitt on the other hand is suffering from a lack of NYC players.

Reaction Score
Past tense, but Robinson was certainly pretty good 3 decades ago in Annapolis. However, great USNA 1986 March Madness article with a UConn recruiting reference (Vernon Butler, DeMatha) and highlight of Navy's March Madness defeat of Boeheim and his fruit.
I saw that Navy team in a preseason NIT game against St John’s .
at the Hartforford Civic Center.
I got a 4 tickets from a vendor who had a skybox and I took my son and a friend.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I feel like we are getting pretty close to the statute of limitations on "Yale, Northeastern and Wagner."

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Remember when The Pete was an IMPOSSIBLE place to win?

Reaction Score
BC had a mild renaissance under Skinner late in their BE days (Jared Dudley years?) but they were awful for a whole decade before that. Remember the 25+ straight losses to UConn?

Pitt on the other hand is suffering from a lack of NYC players.
Al Skinner had a lot of regular season success at BC during his Big East days and it carried over to the ACC for the first couple of years, they have been a disaster since firing him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom