OT : "Philly" Cheesesteak | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT : "Philly" Cheesesteak

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Eh, the whole family is from Philly, and plenty of them get grilled green peppers and onions on their cheesesteaks.

And according to them, Pat and Geno's are the most famous, but not the best.
Onions yes. Green peppers no.

Pats is awesome after bar late night drunk food . Actual best I've had is dallesandros

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Perhaps among those in the know, but every time this conversation comes up around me the vast majority have never even heard of the Roast Pork. Everyone has heard of the Philly Cheesesteak.

Just this past Saturday night I had dinner with a guy who grew up in Philly. He had never heard of the Roast Pork.
This is how I roll. I have a deli slicer at home . You can't get roast pork in CT . I've got my wife hooked and she doesn't even really eat meat. ( my daughter is vegetarian so I go big on the once a week or so can eat it here)

Before broccoli rabe and then after
ZLfgHD2.jpg

Zn2Wgiz.jpg

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I lived in a rowhome my first two years in Philly. There was a pizza place across the street in the "basement" of their row. I used to get cheesesteak hoagies(yes, I know, blasphemy) there, and they were easily the best I have ever eaten.

Reaction Score
I love a great cheesesteak but agree that the roast pork is slightly better. I've sat down and polished off a couple at a time, I'll do one Wiz wit and one pizza steak w/mozz. Chicago is known for Italian beefs which are good but I prefer the cheesesteak. A lesser known Chicago sandwich you only get on the southside is the Italian breaded steak sandwich, it's a huge mess but pretty awesome.

Reaction Score
This is how I roll. I have a deli slicer at home . You can't get roast pork in CT . I've got my wife hooked and she doesn't even really eat meat. ( my daughter is vegetarian so I go big on the once a week or so can eat it here)

ZLfgHD2.jpg

Zn2Wgiz.jpg
You have your own deli slicer? I think you just became my hero.

Reaction Score
And the Chicagoland Italian Beef kills 'em both. Actually all 3 are awesome.

We make the Tony Luke's roast pork recipe at home every few months in the crock pot. It comes out great.

To do a really good Italian Beef or Cheesteak at home you really need to buy the meat sliced at butcher or have a slicer, Italian Beef is all about getting meat back in juices.

In Chicago love Portillo's and Al's Big Beef.

Pat's, Tony Luke's and Geno's are great and DeNic's awesome for roast pork.

this is an absolute truth, my friend

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I love a great cheesesteak but agree that the roast pork is slightly better. I've sat down and polished off a couple at a time, I'll do one Wiz wit and one pizza steak w/mozz. Chicago is known for Italian beefs which are good but I prefer the cheesesteak. A lesser known Chicago sandwich you only get on the southside is the Italian breaded steak sandwich, it's a huge mess but pretty awesome.
I LOVE!!!! I beef.
Als? Mr beef? Portillos ? Johnnies?

I like mr beef and als

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I believe that. We went a couple of years ago and tried both. I was really pulling for Geno's over Pat's, remembering Auriemma's commenting during the Final Four against Tenn. that Geno's looked bright and new and Pat's looked old and worn. Pat Summitt was not happy. But the both of us agreed that Pat's was the clear winner, though we thought we did just as well at our tailgates versus Temple and Nova. And Geno's still had the "English only" signs so screw them.

Reaction Score
And the Chicagoland Italian Beef kills 'em both. Actually all 3 are awesome.
I got one down the street from me in Vegas. Definitely gonna pig out this weekend. Only eating meat once a week; seems this will be worthy

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You have your own deli slicer? I think you just became my hero.
Yup an old globe, gifted to me when I left a NY deli I was working at in the early 90s closed. Worth like 2000 bucks. Weighs about 20o lbs. wife won't let me keep on kitchen counter anymore so I make her help me haul it up from basement when needed.

It is one of the best things in my life.

I make Italian beef and use the slicer for that too. My parents were from Berwyn they jones that stuff.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Also totally agreed also on Jim's Steaks.
I don't think the cheesesteaks are greatly different, but I prefer Jim's on South Street, because South Street.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Johns Roast Pork. By the IKEA in South Philly. No one else comes close. James Beard winner. They also make a mean cheese steak.
That's the place my philly friends took me to and swear by. Incredible.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yup an old globe, gifted to me when I left a NY deli I was working at in the early 90s closed. Worth like 2000 bucks. Weighs about 20o lbs. wife won't let me keep on kitchen counter anymore so I make her help me haul it up from basement when needed.

I make Italian beef and use the slicer for that too. My parents were from Berwyn they jones that stuff.

You're talking about your wife, right?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You're talking about your wife, right?
lol . Actually ........... Haha.

I couldn't live without either. Even just cutting produce, like slicing tomatoes shredding lettuce Etc is so much easier and better on slicer. I'm like Kramer on that Seinfeld episode, I'll open mail with it.

Also I have saved thousands over the years. I never ever buy deli meat. Make a roast on a Sunday? I'll get one twice as big as needed and then slice up the remaining for sandwiches during the week. Instead of paying 9-10 bucks a lb. I pay 3-4 . I make my own pastrami in my smoker ( a rip off recipe of katzs) and then slice it up. It's almost perfect. Wife's turkey leftovers ? I cut the breast out of the bird and put in on a slicer. Cheese? We buy 5 lb blocks and slice.
I wouldn't trade that thing for really anything.

Reaction Score

Sounds like you need to keep the slicer upstairs and haul the wife up from the basement when needed.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I make my own pastrami in my smoker ( a rip off recipe of katzs) and then slice it up. It's almost perfect. Wife's turkey leftovers ? I cut the breast out of the bird and

Turkey leftovers. Surprised ya let that touch your machine.

Reaction Score
much like the Eagles and Flyers, and most every other professional and college team in the greater Philadelphia area, the cheesesteaks, in my humble opinion, are vastly overrated...as a Northeastern PA resident, I would take a "coal region" cheesesteak over any style offered by the city of brotherly love.

on a side note to anyone attending the game at Temple, do yourself a favor, and do not drink the Philly tap water...not sure that anyone down there would, if they saw what has historically emptied into the Schuylkill upstate
You anywhere near Old Forge?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

ZLfgHD2.jpg

Zn2Wgiz.jpg

AHHHHH Move Me Brightly in the background - now that is a feast

Reaction Score
I love a cheesesteak as much as anyone but the major leagues of meat sandwiches is reopening in Manhatten tomorrow, The Carnegie Deli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom