OT: Pet peeve when kids say they are "versing" another team. | The Boneyard

OT: Pet peeve when kids say they are "versing" another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Okay, it's the off-season so permit me to air a pet peeve.

Have you heard kids talk about "versing" another team as in "We are 'versing' Villanova on Saturday." I understand where this comes from. Kids hear UConn versus Syracuse and think it's a verb "verses" and proceed to conjugate it normally.

Has anyone else heard this? Is it as grating to you as it is to me?

/end curmudgeon rant

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

Have you heard kids talk about "versing" another team as in "We are 'versing' Villanova on Saturday." I understand where this comes from. Kids hear UConn versus Syracuse and think it's a verb "verses" and proceed to conjugate it normally.

Has anyone else heard this? Is it as grating to you as it is to me.

/end curmudgeon rant

As long as you opinionate like that...you'll guilt me into agreeing.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My peeve is about people who say pet peeves when talking about human annoyances. Should be human peeves or people peeves. Spousal peeves would certainly rank high. I could make allowances for primate peeves. But pet peeves? I don't know about anyone else but my pets should not have to be associated with human flaws.:)

Reaction Score
Don't care about versing, but I do wish they'd get off my lawn, i hate those GD whippersnappers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My peeve is about people who say pet peeves when talking about human annoyances. Should be human peeves or people peeves. Spousal peeves would certainly rank high. I could make allowances for primate peeves. But pet peeves? I don't know about anyone else but my pets should not have to be associated with human flaws.:)
Yeah, well get your pet off my lawn...

Reaction Score
Your/you're and there/their/they're are much bigger problems.

Reaction Score
I think you are misunderstanding! They are talking about the Poetry Slam that they are attending this Saturday!!!!!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

/end curmudgeon rant

I won't call it a pet peeve, but yes my kids used to say that and it did annoy the crap out of me.

As long as we are bashing kids for not speaking proper english, my 9 year old daughter likes to use "may" instead of "can" when asking for help. As in "May you help me get the can off the shelf?".

Reaction Score
My 7 year old says it. I mocked him like a good father should. Then I thought about the alternate words/phrases and "versing" would be a good addition to the English language for its efficient easy of use. Irregardless, I will not be the one to start the trend (my English pet peeve starts this sentence).

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yeah, well get your pet off my lawn...
And the cats out of your garden and the birds from your fruit trees......

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I hate when people express their opinions. It just gets on my nerves.

I also don't like all that breathing they do. All this air being sucked in and expelled all around me...it's unsanitary and I wish you'd all just stop.

Reaction Score

/end curmudgeon rant

Yes and YES!

Reaction Score

/end curmudgeon rant

No.

Reaction Score

/end curmudgeon rant
I have !!! The kids in church use it.. drives me CRAZY,,,,,

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I also don't like all that breathing they do. All this air being sucked in and expelled all around me...it's unsanitary and I wish you'd all just stop.

I actually don't like heavy breathers. I want them to stop so much that they stress me out.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

/end curmudgeon rant

I haven't heard it and hope I never do. It sounds pretty annoying.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I have to say my most hated speech tendency is when people don't pronounce the letter t when it comes after an n. "Innernet" instead of "Internet" is probably the one I hate the most.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
"Show out" is the one that grinds my gears. But they're kids.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

"Pet peeve" is likely short for "petty peeve." :)

An alternate origin can be found here:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=pet+peeve

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2006/12/the-pedigree-of-pet-peeve.html

We do the etymology of one word or saying per day in my class. Actually, I put up a sign on my door every morning.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score

/end curmudgeon rant
My daughter (the swamette) used to use that term. She outgrew it by age 8 or so.
Here's another teeth-grinder: "conversate", as in "let's conversate about this topic."
The term is "converse",although lots of today's young athletes probably think it's a shoe brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom