OT: Pedro Morales passes away @ 76. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Pedro Morales passes away @ 76.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Nowadays, the wrestlers are great , but the story telling isn't as good in my estimation

There pretty much is no story telling these days, neither in the ring, or by long term storylines.

In ring is pretty much a high spot sequence these days, and the days of slow burning storylines for weeks even months leading to feuds is really kaput.

Thats why I watch those early 80's territory episodes in sequence. Its really like an athletic male soap opera (and kinda geigh ;-) but I appreciate the craft.

Reaction Score
I stopped watching around 72-73. Bruno was still around. Ivan Putski was a top good guy. And Mil, of course, on Lucha Libre. Haystacks was in decline as was George the Animal Steele (whom I admit was hugely entertaining) and Verne Gagne. But I watched all those guys as a kid. I remember ex-NFLers like Wahoo McDaniel, Ernie Ladd and others in some matches.

I went to a match at Stamford High School when I was 15 or so. Putski and Koloff were the main card, IIRC (although possible it was Iron Shiek). Koloff "used" a can opener to cut Putski's forehead. It was so comically fake watching in person, without the announcing hyping up the action. I simply never understood the appeal once one got past puberty and started dating...

See last line above. Not suggesting one should be serious. But man, with all the diversions available, why pick wrestling?
OK so Putski dd not come to WWF until 1974. Putski debuted in the World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF) in 1974.[2] While in the WWWF, Putski feuded with many wrestlers, including Bruiser Brody, Stan Hansen and Ivan Koloff.[2] Iron Sheik was much later to exploit the Iran conflict. Taking the name The Great Hossein Arab, he won his first title, the Canadian Tag Team Championship, with partner the Texas Outlaw. He wrestled in Japan against the likes of Steve Day and Antonio Inoki in 1978. In 1979 he caught the eye of the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) where he made his debut in 1979 and won the first-ever Battle Royal in Madison Square Garden, New York City. This earned him a title shot at then-champion Bob Backlund, who pinned him later that night in a 30-minute battle.[10] He later feuded with Chief Jay Strongbow and Bruno Sammartino before leaving in 1980.[11]
So now we have your own words as proof you watched well into your 20's.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He later feuded with Chief Jay Strongbow and Bruno Sammartino before leaving in 1980
Just found out that Chief Jay Strongbow was the stage name of Italian American Luke Scarpa.
1550098812815.png

... but, but, but he wore a headdress and did a war dance... sigh.

#childhoodruined.

Reaction Score
Just found out that Chief Jay Strongbow was the stage name of Italian American Luke Scarpa.
View attachment 39594
... but, but, but he wore a headdress and did a war dance... sigh.

#childhoodruined.
Yes the ethnic factor was huge. Pedro used to always have to "say something for our Spanish speaking fans". Bruno would often talk Italian, etc, etc. Chief of course would have to win, so they "could go back to the reservation"...(Double sigh).

Reaction Score
His early 80's series with Don Muraco when they traded the IC title back and forth was some top level wrestling and booking. Excellent, heated feud.

One of the MSG classics:

Back when Vince McMahon was a nondescript announcer.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
OK so Putski dd not come to WWF until 1974. Putski debuted in the World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF) in 1974.[2] While in the WWWF, Putski feuded with many wrestlers, including Bruiser Brody, Stan Hansen and Ivan Koloff.[2] Iron Sheik was much later to exploit the Iran conflict. Taking the name The Great Hossein Arab, he won his first title, the Canadian Tag Team Championship, with partner the Texas Outlaw. He wrestled in Japan against the likes of Steve Day and Antonio Inoki in 1978. In 1979 he caught the eye of the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) where he made his debut in 1979 and won the first-ever Battle Royal in Madison Square Garden, New York City. This earned him a title shot at then-champion Bob Backlund, who pinned him later that night in a 30-minute battle.[10] He later feuded with Chief Jay Strongbow and Bruno Sammartino before leaving in 1980.[11]
So now we have your own words as proof you watched well into your 20's.

Well into my 20s? I turned 16 in 1974. And as I said, I thought it was Koloff, but I'm not 100% of that. Could have been Nikolai Volkoff. I just know it was a bad guy. Never heard of Steve Day, and unless Inoki is the guy who fought Ali, never heard of him either. I'm aware of a lot of top names from osmosis, not from actively following the WWF. Additionally, I worked right next door to WWF offices when it was on Summer St. so I had to listen to WWF talk a lot and I knew who a lot of the guys were because it was a big deal to co-workers, and I'd run into them at the convenience store next door.

Reaction Score
Well into my 20s? I turned 16 in 1974. And as I said, I thought it was Koloff, but I'm not 100% of that. Never heard of Steve Day, and unless Inoki is the guy who fought Ali, never heard of him either. I'm aware of a lot of top names from osmosis, not from actively following the WWF. Additionally, I worked right next door to WWF offices when it was on Summer St. so I had to listen to WWF talk a lot and I knew who a lot of the guys were because it was a big deal to co-workers, and I'd run into them at the convenience store next door.
OK...slow your roll...it was a joke, nothing more.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
There pretty much is no story telling these days, neither in the ring, or by long term storylines.

In ring is pretty much a high spot sequence these days, and the days of slow burning storylines for weeks even months leading to feuds is really kaput.

Thats why I watch those early 80's territory episodes in sequence. Its really like an athletic male soap opera (and kinda geigh ;-) but I appreciate the craft.
What the hell was up with my man, Adrian Adonis becoming Adorable Adrian?!?!? That was messed up!!!

Reaction Score
two of those 3 guys never held the IC belt you dope.

The IC Belt in the 80's was fantastic. Because you would get title changes.

Back then the World Champion belt NEVER changed Backlaund had it for years and then Hogan for years.

the IC belt put some drama on the undercard and some of the best WWF matches from 79- to say 89 were for that belt.

the best match on the card of world renown WM3 (Hulk Andre) was the Steamboat Savage match for the IC.

THIS is an impressive roster of title holders

View attachment 39577

Where did I say they held the belt? I said the IC belt opened the door for the ethnic stereotype characters....while a generic champ like Backlund had the real belt.

The truth of it all is......

Ric Flair >>>>>>>>>>>>> All others

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Back when Vince McMahon was a nondescript announcer.

He was great as an announcer. He still might be my favorite play by play guy. But I was a 90s kid.

the Q

Reaction Score

They rehash old ones.

Becky is doing an “authority” story to try and make her the next scsa

the Q

Reaction Score

Btw gotta rewatch the nwo stuff man.

The sting stuff In particular.

The single best Story in pro wrestling history. Dude didn’t speak for over a year and was the #2 seller in wrestling gear among either company.

I’m not sure there’s ever been another wrestler ever who could pull that off.

the Q

Reaction Score
two of those 3 guys never held the IC belt you dope.

The IC Belt in the 80's was fantastic. Because you would get title changes.

Back then the World Champion belt NEVER changed Backlaund had it for years and then Hogan for years.

the IC belt put some drama on the undercard and some of the best WWF matches from 79- to say 89 were for that belt.

the best match on the card of world renown WM3 (Hulk Andre) was the Steamboat Savage match for the IC.

THIS is an impressive roster of title holders

View attachment 39577

Great match.

Best match at wm 10 was the ladder match for the IC title (rematch wasn’t as good either)

Reaction Score
He was one of my top 5 favorites. First person to win the triple crown back in the old WWWF days.

Reaction Score
I was at WM XI. Because of my job, we(my son and I got to meet many, many guests. (Sean Michaels, Freddy Blassie, Rowdy Rod, Pam Anderson,Hillbilly Jim, Ken Norton Jr, and so many more. Also when I moved to Denver, my friend worked for Awesome Promotions. The boss(Zane)promoted the 1st WM and at this time promoted WCW. Once I went to dinner with Flair and Heenan. Met so many, Paul Wight(Now Big Show) Rey Mysterio Jr, Hulk, Hall Nash DDP to name but a few. My son was around 12 and went up to Deal Malenko in the locker room and asked for an autograph. He calmly replied..."no".

Reaction Score
I grew up in Stamford and we all knew of and watched Mil and all the libradores. Might've been UHF channel 49 for all I remember, but Lucha Libre was THE wrestling show to watch. Never heard of Pedro.
Yeah channel 49. Remember Bulldog Brower? Liked him and Putski.

the Q

Reaction Score
I was at WM XI. Because of my job, we(my son and I got to meet many, many guests. (Sean Michaels, Freddy Blassie, Rowdy Rod, Pam Anderson,Hillbilly Jim, Ken Norton Jr, and so many more. Also when I moved to Denver, my friend worked for Awesome Promotions. The boss(Zane)promoted the 1st WM and at this time promoted WCW. Once I went to dinner with Flair and Heenan. Met so many, Paul Wight(Now Big Show) Rey Mysterio Jr, Hulk, Hall Nash DDP to name but a few. My son was around 12 and went up to Deal Malenko in the locker room and asked for an autograph. He calmly replied..."no".

The fact that he got malenko is speak is more impressive.

Dude could give mimes a run for their money.

Great performer but his absolute lack of personality cost him. Despite consistently having A caliber matches

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If you get a chance, youtube Ox Baker and listen to his promos. His look is awesome and mic skills were very impressive for the day.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Where did I say they held the belt? I said the IC belt opened the door for the ethnic stereotype characters....while a generic champ like Backlund had the real belt.

The truth of it all is.

Ric Flair >>>>>>>>>>>>> All others

No it didnt the Ethnic stereotype characters were long a Staple Of Vince Sr.s WWWF way before 1979. Its how he ran his territory.
ALWAYS. the IC belt didnt open any doors, what it was for was it gave the babyfaces a title to chase, because they were only booking heels against Backlund. But that Ethnic Booking was Vince Sr. Always.

I mean Hulk got the last name "Hogan" on his first wwwf run when he was a heel and managed by Blassie because Vince Sr. needed "an Irish Heel"

that was before the IC title.

But yes Flair is better than everyone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom