OT: Our Favorite Guitarists | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Our Favorite Guitarists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm shocked Joe Bonnamassa was only lightly mention once. He's one of the greatest guitar players you've never heard of. Amazing talent. He'll never have a hit since he plays the blues. I love his playing but the repetitiveness of the blues sometimes turns me off.

Only a couple mentions of Larry Carlton??!! Mr 335 is great!!

That was a great story about Lee Ritenour! I don't like some of the styles (the south american jazz) he plays but sure can play!! I listen to him playing with Dave Grusin quite a bit in the 80's.

I don't think anyone mentioned Peter Frampton!! My father and I wore out numerous 8 tracks of Fampton Comes Alive in the late 70's!!!! My wife and I saw him at Foxwoods last year. He's lost his hair but plays better than ever!! His 3 latest albums are very good.

There are so many great guitarists out there, both past and present. It's unfortunate I don't have the time to listen to 99% of them.

How many of the guitarists mention in this thread do you think the UCONN Women have ever heard of???

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm shocked Joe Bonnamassa was only lightly mention once. He's one of the greatest guitar players you've never heard of.

Well, a few people have heard of him. He's pretty much sold out the Bushnell a month in advance.

Reaction Score
The 4 giants: Hendrix/Clapton/Beck/Page

Also enjoy Jerry Garcia, Peter Frampton, David Gilmour, Steve Howe, and don't forget Robert Fripp (I don't like Adrian Belew though). I've seen these guys in person.

Reaction Score
A little OT.... but in Michael Jackson's last would be concert tour,was that a guy or women playing guitar, with the long blond hair????

Reaction Score
That would be Orianthi.

mj.jpg

Reaction Score
Thanks. only caught a glimpse a few times and she had glasses on...

Reaction Score
I'm shocked Joe Bonnamassa was only lightly mention once. He's one of the greatest guitar players you've never heard of. Amazing talent. He'll never have a hit since he plays the blues. I love his playing but the repetitiveness of the blues sometimes turns me off.

Only a couple mentions of Larry Carlton??!! Mr 335 is great!!

That was a great story about Lee Ritenour! I don't like some of the styles (the south american jazz) he plays but sure can play!! I listen to him playing with Dave Grusin quite a bit in the 80's.

I don't think anyone mentioned Peter Frampton!! My father and I wore out numerous 8 tracks of Fampton Comes Alive in the late 70's!!!! My wife and I saw him at Foxwoods last year. He's lost his hair but plays better than ever!! His 3 latest albums are very good.

There are so many great guitarists out there, both past and present. It's unfortunate I don't have the time to listen to 99% of them.

How many of the guitarists mention in this thread do you think the UCONN Women have ever heard of???

That is difficult to ascertain. Parents, friends, relatives, location, radio stations all play a part in exposure to various forms of music. In our household, we always played oldies, and always had our radios tuned to jazz and oldies stations. the kids never complained and every once in a while would surprise us with their familiarity with obscure classics.
Coach Auriemma mentioned that Wilnett Crockett's father has a huge collection of records.
If one had to hazard a guess, the UConn Women are only somewhat familiar with these great guitarists. Popular guitarists like Clapton, Hendrix, Van Halen and Keith Richards will be familiar to practicall everyone.

Reaction Score
A little OT.... but in Michael Jackson's last would be concert tour,was that a guy or women playing guitar, with the long blond hair????

Prince seems to favor female guitarists as well.

Even farther off topic, but your post immediately reminded me of this British group

Reaction Score
I did not see any mention of this artist who took his final bow a year ago. He died in his sleep of a massive heart attack, associated with consumption of large amounts of alcohol. Gary Moore was 58.

I first heard Gary Moore in Skid Row (70), his first (& very raw) recorded band (Dublin, Ireland). He met Phil Lynott there (still unknown too), worked with some other bands & did his own solo albums... but he was always fairly obscure. He then overcame some demons & had a very successful later career. I didn't mention him because he DID (eventually) become very well known (to most guitar fans). Classic "guitar hero" kind of player & performer. Sad that he died, but he overcame a lot (personally) & had many good years in the spotlight & with moocho fan recognition (unlike many of his peers).

It's amazing how many recordings Lee Ritenour has played on... scroll down this list! :eek: I don't have a lot of his stuff, but there's a nice (Jap only) 3-CD issue with his Friendship & Gentle Thoughts albums (& some unissued) that I like.

Didja know Frampton was "The Face of 68"? LOL! :) The young (15 yr old) guitarist was first in The Herd (a few hits). He was hired (there) by multi-instrumentalist & songwriter Andy Bown. Bown did some (excellent IMO) solo albums in the early 70's (w/ Framptom helping out), but always missed being a big rock star. Wrong time, wrong place I guess. But he played with MANY, including in Pink Floyd's alter-ego ("The Wall") band and was in Status Quo for many years. And he's still rockin! Check this out! :cool:

Agree... the Blues CAN be repetitive. But in small bites it's great. :cool: A few (lesser known) early guys that were pretty unique & special were T-Bone Walker, Magic Sam, & Hound Dog Taylor. All worth a listen. I love the Hound Dog. ;) Bonnamassa is pretty well known. But I've always liked Chris Duarte. Check him out... :cool:

Reaction Score
If pressed to pick my favorite guitarist right now, it would have to be Pat Metheny. Professor
Pat is crisp, clear, concise, innovative, imaginative, inspriational; And can play the heck out of a guitar.
Hubert Sumlin is another of my favorites.

What say the rest of you?
Page
Satriani
Malmsteen
Vai
Eric Johnson
Randy Rhodes
Slash

Reaction Score
Guess who will be performing at UConn on October 13th just prior to First Night?

BTW: Had the pleasure of seeing Chuck Loeb with Fourplay this past Friday in Tarrytown, NY. Great show at a very nice, old intimate theater in a beautifully quaint town on the Hudson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom