OT: Our Favorite Guitarists | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Our Favorite Guitarists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are hundreds of great guitarists out there, so (as a collector) I'll just mention a few, and some lesser-knowns.

Jimi Hendrix remains my own fave. When you consider he only recorded for a couple years, and look at what other artists have put out over long 40+ year careers, it's even more amazing. I was recently doing some writing (& research) on his relationship with Randy (Wolfe) Calif. (for some rare live tapes). Jimi gave Randy his nickname and wanted to bring him to London, but Randy was too young at the time. This was before anyone heard of Hendrix. Randy's own work is great too (with Spirit & others). I was also listening to a fave 45 (of that era) that Jimi produced (& played on) during that time with Eire Apparent: "R&R Band." Even most Hendrix fans are unaware of it.

There's only one other guitarist of that era (65-75) that I revere as much as Jimi... Ollie Halsall. Originally a drummer, vibe, & keyboard player, he took up guitar late. It's criminal he's never gotten the acclaim so many others have, although (today) he IS well appreciated by many professionals (from XTC to Cheap Trick). He did his best work with the band Patto, but worked with many artists & bands later. He never used ANY effects. And he produced an (emotional) response that (I find) only a few (rare) musicians had... like John Coltrane. ;) As much as I like many other (Gtr based) bands of that era... Led Zep, Cream, Free, etc), Patto tops em all. Their 2'd album is as amazing (original & unique) a guitar album of that era as Jimi's first was. Jimi, Randy, & Ollie... RIP. This is from their first album:

Some other great guitarists from that era that are lesser known but worth seeking out.... Stan Webb, Tony McPhee, Peter Green, Keith Cross, Richard Thompson, Snuffy Walden, Brian Godding, Tommy Bolin.

And in European & British Jazz-Fusion & Progressive-Rock... Alan Holdsworth, Terje Rypdal, Eddy Marron, Max Sunyer, Radim Hladik & Jukka Tolonen.

For Blues... Freddy King, Johny Winter, & Shuggie Otis.

For Jazz, I always found George Barnes as having the best Pure Tone. Just beautiful stuff. There's a couple of recordings (of duets) with Bucky Pizzarelli that I still have at the top of my want list. (anyone??) I'd also recommend Pat Martino, Zachary Breaux, and Larry Coryell.

For classical there's Elliot Fisk

For "outsiders" there's Steve Tibbetts, Glenn Phillips, and the amazing Michael Hedges (RIP).

And there's plenty of terrific young guitarists out there... here's one (Nori Bucci) (most of her orig u-tube vids are sadly gonzo... but Google saves "deleted" stuff :) ).

Reaction Score
There are hundreds of great guitarists out there, so (as a collector) I'll just mention a few, and some lesser-knowns.

Jimi Hendrix remains my own fave. When you consider he only recorded for a couple years, and look at what other artists have put out over long 40+ year careers, it's even more amazing. I was recently doing some writing (& research) on his relationship with Randy (Wolfe) Calif. (for some rare live tapes). Jimi gave Randy his nickname and wanted to bring him to London, but Randy was too young at the time. This was before anyone heard of Hendrix. Randy's own work is great too (with Spirit & others). I was also listening to a fave 45 (of that era) that Jimi produced (& played on) during that time with Eire Apparent: "R&R Band." Even most Hendrix fans are unaware of it.

There's only one other guitarist of that era (65-75) that I revere as much as Jimi... Ollie Halsall. Originally a drummer, vibe, & keyboard player, he took up guitar late. It's criminal he's never gotten the acclaim so many others have, although (today) he IS well appreciated by many professionals (from XTC to Cheap Trick). He did his best work with the band Patto, but worked with many artists & bands later. He never used ANY effects. And he produced an (emotional) response that (I find) only a few (rare) musicians had... like John Coltrane. ;) As much as I like many other (Gtr based) bands of that era... Led Zep, Cream, Free, etc), Patto tops em all. Their 2'd album is as amazing (original & unique) a guitar album of that era as Jimi's first was. Jimi, Randy, & Ollie... RIP. This is from their first album:

Some other great guitarists from that era that are lesser known but worth seeking out.... Stan Webb, Tony McPhee, Peter Green, Keith Cross, Dick Thompson, Snuffy Walden, Brian Godding, Tommy Bolin.

And in European & British Jazz-Fusion & Progressive-Rock... Alan Holdsworth, Terje Rypdal, Eddy Marron, Max Sunyer, Radim Hladik & Jukka Tolonen.

For Blues... Freddy King, Johny Winter, & Shuggie Otis.

For Jazz, I always found George Barnes as having the best Pure Tone. Just beautiful stuff. There's a couple of recordings (of duets) with Bucky Pizzarelli that I still have at the top of my want list. (anyone??) I'd also recommend Pat Martino, Zachary Breaux, and Larry Coryell.

For classical there's Elliot Fisk

For "outsiders" there's Steve Tibbetts, Glenn Phillips, and the amazing Michael Hedges (RIP).

And there's plenty of terrific young guitarists out there... here's one (Nori Bucci) (most of her orig u-tube vids are sadly gonzo... but Google saves "deleted" stuff :) ).

You are truly an aficionado. Hopefully, your talents are being fully utilized. Music teacher? Music historian? Music writer? All of the above and more?

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
You are truly an aficionado. Hopefully, your talents are being fully utilized. Music teacher? Music historian? Music writer? All of the above and more?
Jack is the Man. I concluded some time ago that he was in fact, the Architect of the Matrix!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well he is the Jack of all Trades.

Reaction Score
Music teacher? Music historian? Music writer? All of the above and more?

Nah.... just a longtime music fan (nut) & collector (LPs, R:R & 45's). ;) I played a few instruments back in the day, and was in a R&R band for a bit, but it was just amateur stuff for the love of it (HS & college). (although we got paid occasionally). But it was the collecting that became a life-long hobby. I was getting records from Europe... before it became cool. :cool:

The digital revolution allowed for more (& easier) contact among music lovers & many of us (around the globe) would discuss stuff on music boards. (less in recent years though). I used to make compilations (CDs) with background notes & we'd trade em... to expand one's experience & education. There's LOTS of stuff people miss, or are never aware of... schools & styles of music... musicians from other places... music is a big world. And if you appreciate classical, jazz, pop & rock... it's even bigger. I still find very cool things from the 30's (78's & obscure artists) or from other places & era's that keep you searching. Today there's less centralization (for new artists)... the outlets, magazines, tv shows, radio of olde... so it's (more) challenging to keep up with (all the) new stuff (talent) out there. The web is great... but it's also overwhelming.

I tend to appreciate the less-known artists... it's always interesting why certain people become huge stars... & others don't. Sometimes it's luck, sometimes being at the right place at the right time. But there are plenty of mediocre (IMO) "big name" actors and artists (er, Madonna?).

Hendrix was the real thing though, and he (maybe) changed (future) guitar playing more than anyone. BTW, that Randy Calif interview is here... those early years with Jimi. Sadly, Randy drowned ('97) trying to save his son in the Hawaiian surf. Spirit's album "12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus" is worth hearing for anyone who missed it... Randy was the force behind it.

Frank Zappa was another fave of mine (of that era), but he became very well known over the years (thru his touring). But he was under most people's radar early on too.

I'll leave you with another fave (of that era)... I first saw her at UConn (live). Amazing performer (& great guitarist). And like Randy, she also played with Hendrix in NYC... before Jimi hit the big time :)). And again, why she isn't as well known as, say, Bonnie Raitt.... who TF knows?

Reaction Score
What an impressive thread lots of great choices.
Here are some of mine not mentioned yet. Freddie King, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Thackery, Jimmy Herring, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, Teenie Hodges(Al Green, Hi records), Dick Dale, Gary Shider(P-Funk), Bonnie Raitt, Jason Isbell, Mike Cooley and Patterson Hood of the Drive By Truckers, Bob Weir, Mick Taylor, Brian Jones, Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd from Television, Springsteen, Niels Lofgen, Little Steven, Leslie West, Robert Randolph, James Burton, Mike Stern, Jerry Harrison, george harrison, Ry Cooder, Alejandro Escovedo, Neil Young, Kurt Cobian, Missisppi John Hurt, Jack White....okay I need to turn the basball game down and play some tunes now.

Reaction Score
And practically any guitar player in the Funk Brothers MoTown band.

Reaction Score
The most amazing guitarist I ever saw, and I don't even know his name, I met in a guitar store in NY City. He was just browsing, trying out guitars. In about 10minutes everyone in the store was hovering around him listening. He looked to be in his late teens. This was about 1972, He said that he was a studio musician.

What he was doing was playing a huge variety of music in different styles. For instance, he'd pick up an archtop electric and play a Jobim tune but play it the way Wes Montgomery would have played it. Then he'd play a classical piece on a classical guitar in the style of Doc Watson. He did this for about 2 hours. People were throwing song titles at him and asking that he play in someone's style and he nailed them all. He did a great version of a Duane Eddy song in the style of Chet Atkins. He did Les Paul, Barney Kessel, Elvis, John Fogerty, Johnny Winter, Jimi, Frampton, lots of bossa nova, Bluegrass, Rock. It was amazing. Several years later, sitting with a group of guitar playing friends, we tried to figure out who the guy was, because he was just too talented to be an unknown. We concluded that it was Lee Ritenour. If only I had a tape recorder with me.
Thats awesome you had great timing.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I've always been mesmerized by slide guitar play. When I was very, very young [did I mention VERY young] the Beatles had just invaded America and therefore every 10th song on the radio was a Beatles tune. They were ubiquitous and it became too easy, almost a necessity, to tune them out - ultimately taking their supremacy for granted like the NY Yankees and Montreal Canadians!

Then comes the passage of time and a renewed appreciation for their absurd genius, George Harrison's in particular. His music after the Beatles was his best and it was hauntingly beautiful.

Reaction Score
Two of my all time favorites are missing (at least I didn't see them):

Neil Young:

and...

Reaction Score

Same song but taken to an incredible live level by Pearl Jam....PJ's Stone Gossard and Mike McCready are 2 very good, overlooked guitar players

Reaction Score
Nah.... just a longtime music fan (nut) & collector (LPs, R:R & 45's). ;) I played a few instruments back in the day, and was in a R&R band for a bit, but it was just amateur stuff for the love of it (HS & college). (although we got paid occasionally). But it was the collecting that became a life-long hobby. I was getting records from Europe... before it became cool. :cool:

The digital revolution allowed for more (& easier) contact among music lovers & many of us (around the globe) would discuss stuff on music boards. (less in recent years though). I used to make compilations (CDs) with background notes & we'd trade em... to expand one's experience & education. There's LOTS of stuff people miss, or are never aware of... schools & styles of music... musicians from other places... music is a big world. And if you appreciate classical, jazz, pop & rock... it's even bigger. I still find very cool things from the 30's (78's & obscure artists) or from other places & era's that keep you searching. Today there's less centralization (for new artists)... the outlets, magazines, tv shows, radio of olde... so it's (more) challenging to keep up with (all the) new stuff (talent) out there. The web is great... but it's also overwhelming.

I tend to appreciate the less-known artists... it's always interesting why certain people become huge stars... & others don't. Sometimes it's luck, sometimes being at the right place at the right time. But there are plenty of mediocre (IMO) "big name" actors and artists (er, Madonna?).

Hendrix was the real thing though, and he (maybe) changed (future) guitar playing more than anyone. BTW, that Randy Calif interview is here... those early years with Jimi. Sadly, Randy drowned ('97) trying to save his son in the Hawaiian surf. Spirit's album "12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus" is worth hearing for anyone who missed it... Randy was the force behind it.

Frank Zappa was another fave of mine (of that era), but he became very well known over the years (thru his touring). But he was under most people's radar early on too.

I'll leave you with another fave (of that era)... I first saw her at UConn (live). Amazing performer (& great guitarist). And like Randy, she also played with Hendrix in NYC... before Jimi hit the big time :)). And again, why she isn't as well known as, say, Bonnie Raitt.... who TF knows?

We appreciate you sharing your passion with us.

Reaction Score
For Jazz, I always found George Barnes as having the best Pure Tone. Just beautiful stuff. There's a couple of recordings (of duets) with Bucky Pizzarelli that I still have at the top of my want list. (anyone??) I'd also recommend Pat Martino, Zachary Breaux, and
Oh boy, you're really tickling the memory banks here. Many years ago, while working in NY City, I took a walk at lunch time on E. 23rd Street. At the School of Visual Arts, there was a small hand lettered sign on the door, "Free concert today 12:30". Inside there was a small carpeted amphitheater and there sat perhaps 5 students watching plus Jim Hall, Barney Kessel, and Herb Ellis. They hadn't started to play yet. They were just conversing, happy to see one another. Then in walks Bucky Pizzarelli and they all kidded him about being late. I doubt if they were getting paid for this gig. It was more like they got together in just to jam for their own enjoyment and this was a good place to meet.

No one else even showed up to watch (well, it is a school of visual arts. I didn't get back to the office until about 3 o'clock. It was fantastic. They would play a tune, chat a while, play another, show each other what they were working on. It went on for more than 2 hours, and I was sitting no more than 5 feet from them. Four very talented musicians. I thought Kessel was best.

Reaction Score

How about Prince...he takes this all-star group on a trip during the second half of the song..

That was nice. Judging from the way he was squirming, that guitar must have had cooties. I hope someone caught the guitar at the end. That was no foreign made axe he tossed.

Reaction Score
While we're on the topic of weeping guitars, here's a version of the song done many years ago by Jake Shimabukuro. The ukulele took off in earnest after this came out along with Israel Kamakawiwi'ole's (Iz) Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World medley. The uke is a great instrument and all the players mentioned in this thread will probably be playing it once their hands decide the long stretches aren't as easy as they once were.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Jake is one of my new heroes along with Zack Condon and a couple of other Ukesters.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Joe Brown on uke with some great slide accompaniment.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm wondering what folks think it is that makes a guitarist great?

Good point. I think Van Halen was the game changer. Since he came around it seems that "great" guitar means whoever is fastest. I find that boring. Take Jeff Beck, saw him a few years ago and he was awesome. Tremendous technical guitarist. But a little Beck goes a long way. After 45 minutes, I was checking my watch. Saw Larry Carlton in February. I was pissed that he only played 50 minutes. I could have listened to that guy for hours.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Most underrated guitarist:

Brian Setzer

I nominate Lindsay Buckingham. There is more to guitar than solos and his playing on those great Fleetwood Mac albums is just about perfect no matter who's songs they are.

Best guitarist not mentioned yet: Steven Stills, he blew the roof off the Meadows a couple of summers ago opening for Tom Petty. Anyone else catch that?

Reaction Score
Jimi Hendrix, Jerry Garcia, Lowell George are my personal favorites.

Reaction Score
I did not see any mention of this artist who took his final bow a year ago. He died in his sleep of a massive heart attack, associated with consumption of large amounts of alcohol. Gary Moore was 58.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom