OT: Oubre Going Pro | The Boneyard

OT: Oubre Going Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Some people tore their hair out over losing him, and he only played for one year.

That's not to say we don't want guys like Stone (or Oubre). But we've managed to win despite losing guys to UK, KU, etc, and we'll continue to do so.

Reaction Score
Funny thing about hindsight. Usually we see stuff like this and say, "See, it's good he didn't come here. We would've gone through freshman growing pains only to lose him. Also [fill in other guys becoming sophomore and/or freshman-to-be] wouldn't be here." In Oubre's case, however, he most likely would've gotten us to the tournament and wouldn't have cost us a valuable member of the team that's coming in or back. Again, it's all hindsight though.

Reaction Score
They really need to axe the whole having to go to college for 1 year thing. go to the league out of high school if you want, go work on your game at a lower level for a few years if you want. Oubre would have been better off on an nba bench this past season

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
They really need to axe the whole having to go to college for 1 year thing. go to the league out of high school if you want, go work on your game at a lower level for a few years if you want. Oubre would have been better off on an nba bench this past season
I agree. I think they should either impose the three year rule like college football or let high schoolers go pro. At least if you make kids go to school for three years, there's a high likelihood that they'll go back to school later to finish their degree. Going to college for one year is a joke because they take useless electives and will never go back to school later for the three years they need to graduate. I also have a theory that the first year of every D1 athlete's college education should consist of courses on money management and life skills so that they get some preparation for life, both if they do manage to play pro and if they don't.

Reaction Score
Can't see him earning many minutes next year as a rook, he has a long way to go IMO. Guess it's better to develop your game while getting paid than sitting on campus in Lawrence.

Reaction Score
we will need our "A" game at MSG next fall
Ya...I would have loved to snag JC/PG Jaylen Brantley (Springfield, Mass) in retrospect (I understand though rolling out TSam this year as I had higher hopes than most). Wonder what Lee will do? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reaction Score
I think this is the reason the NBA is a poor product. Oubre had 3 20 point games in college, made no AA teams or big 12 teams other than all newcomer team. Didn't even make freshman of the year in his league. His biggest accomplishment is making the McD team last year after high school. Bottom line he didn't dominate (NBA style) even in his league.

Anyway only in the NBA can a resume like that get you hired and a raise in the millions of dollars. I know its all about potential but that's why I don't admire its product. Kids come in ready or not.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I think this is the reason the NBA is a poor product. Oubre had 3 20 point games in college, made no AA teams or big 12 teams other than all newcomer team. Didn't even make freshman of the year in his league. His biggest accomplishment is making the McD team last year after high school. Bottom line he didn't dominate (NBA style) even in his league.

Anyway only in the NBA can a resume like that get you hired and a raise in the millions of dollars. I know its all about potential but that's why I don't admire its product. Kids come in ready or not.
It's up to you what you like, but if Oubre isn't any good, he won't play. It's hard to understand how he hurts the NBA product by sitting on a bench. If he is good enough to play, he'll have earned it.

Reaction Score

I like MCBB more than the pros since I like UCONN way more than any pro team but the NBA product is infinitely better.

Reaction Score

This post doesn't make much sense. Someone's obviously going to invest in what the kid can be, but the fact that he's going to sit on the bench for three years doesn't have any impact on the NBA product (which no college basketball fan really has any business calling poor).

Reaction Score
This post doesn't make much sense. Someone's obviously going to invest in what the kid can be, but the fact that he's going to sit on the bench for three years doesn't have any impact on the NBA product (which no college basketball fan really has any business calling poor).
Its a personal preference but I haven't purchased an NBA ticket in years, compared to many college tickets even non-UConn games. The talent is much better but its just a product I don't financially support. Granted ticket costs, parking, concessions, etc.. come into play for my decision.

But yeah poor product in hindsight is a bad choice of words, it just seems that the NBA has less seasoned talent on rosters due to early declarations. Many of these kids should still be on college rosters and aren't necessarily NBA ready, which in turn affects the NBA overall product, is what I was trying to say.

And I am frustrated and dismayed at the kids making the decisions to jump when they to me aren't ready. I know its their decision and money comes into play but so many sad cases result from these decisions.

Reaction Score
My post sounded much douchier than i intended because I was half paying attention to someone in the doorway of my office. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Kitman's post makes perfect sense if he just replaces NBA with college basketball.
Its just a tough time of year for me to see this kids and their decisions. Not sure what the thought process is and I know this stuff happens annually but wow it just messes everything up for this fan. Lastly these young kids only can make this decision once and very soon there will be no turning back. Lastly many won't make it or will be out of the league in one year.

Perhaps the NBA should make more of an effort to market the 'failures' to these kids so they can hear some 'real' talk and think twice. It affects both sides but you're right college bball is the big loser as the NBA has a waiting list of 'applicants' to replenish, replace and reload.

I just hate seeing it happen repeatedly, because a college education and experience is beneficial even if an injury looms. End of rant.

Reaction Score
Actually, we'll probably need a better team's A game.

BigErn reminds me of debbie downer from SNL a few years ago. Lighten up bud and don't be miserable all the time, Fishy is good at pulling it off, you are just tiresome.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You're always going to have kids who are trying to turn professionally as quickly as possible. These are the ones who have no desire (or foresight, depending on how you look at it) to have any sort of backup plan besides basketball. I would venture to say that most if not all of the freshmen who will be picked in this year's lottery would've strongly preferred to turn pro straight out of high school if that option were still legal. And if the age limit is upped by another year or two, I think we will see a lot of kids follow the path of Emmanuel Mudiay. Bottom line, these kids (or their handlers) want them getting paid as soon as possible, and the almighty dollars trumps most everything else.

Reaction Score
Its just a tough time of year for me to see this kids and their decisions. Not sure what the thought process is and I know this stuff happens annually but wow it just messes everything up for this fan. Lastly these young kids only can make this decision once and very soon there will be no turning back. Lastly many won't make it or will be out of the league in one year.

Perhaps the NBA should make more of an effort to market the 'failures' to these kids so they can hear some 'real' talk and think twice. It affects both sides but you're right college bball is the big loser as the NBA has a waiting list of 'applicants' to replenish, replace and reload.

I just hate seeing it happen repeatedly, because a college education and experience is beneficial even if an injury looms. End of rant.

Oh, you're a 100% right, and it really saddens me to hear stories like the one about Terry Rozier, where he's basically saying he would have returned to school were it not for the ridiculous workload his mother was burdening. I'm pretty sure Shabazz had similar concerns about returning to UConn and there are probably hundreds of other examples just like it.

I really think the best system for everyone involved would be one in which NBA franchises pay players to stay in school. I'm sure there are things that would prevent it from happening, but it makes sense on a number of levels.

Reaction Score
BigErn reminds me of debbie downer from SNL a few years ago. Lighten up bud and don't be miserable all the time, Fishy is good at pulling it off, you are just tiresome.

big-ern-omg-o.gif

Reaction Score
That was the first gif I have seen embedded and I don't think it can get much better. Well done.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oubre seems to have a lot of bust potential heading into the league - he's not really a great athlete, isn't very good with the ball and he didn't have a great year at Kansas.

I can see him falling pretty hard in the first round and not making much of an impact in the league.

Reaction Score
Oubre seems to have a lot of bust potential heading into the league - he's not really a great athlete, isn't very good with the ball and he didn't have a great year at Kansas.

I can see him falling pretty hard in the first round and not making much of an impact in the league.

I've only watched him a few times. I thought he was supposed to be a great athlete with a streaky shot and a non existent handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom