OT: Only 1459 days until the next World Cup | The Boneyard

OT: Only 1459 days until the next World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't worry, people in soccer countries are sick of soccer and taking up other sports! Exhibit A: San Antonio Spurs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
MLS in midseason
Champions League Play-in already started
Community Shield 8/10
EPL starts 8/16
Bundesliga starts 8/22
La Liga starts 8/23
Serie A starts 8/31
Women's World Cup starts 6/6/15
Gold Cup starts 7/27/15
Copa America starts 6/3/16
Euro 2016 starts 6/10/16
Olympic Football starts 8/4/16
Gold Cup in 2017
Confederations Cup starts 6/17/17
Plus all the qualifying for these tourneys.

Plenty of football to keep us busy til 6/8/18. :D

Reaction Score
What are all of the "Summer Series" Pre Season games in the US for English, Spanish, Italian, etc... clubs this summer? I'm aware (or have read rumors of)
Tottenham v Seattle Sounders
Manchester United v LA Galaxy

Inter Milan vs. Real Madrid
Arsenal vs. NY Red Bulls
AS Roma vs. Manchester United
Tottenham v Chicago Fire

AS Roma vs. Real Madrid
Manchester United vs. Inter Milan
Manchester City vs. Liverpool
Manchester United vs. Real Madrid
Tottenham vs Toronto
AS Roma vs. Inter Milan
AC Milan vs. Liverpool

Positive I'm missing a bunch, can anyone add to this?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What are all of the "Summer Series" Pre Season games in the US for English, Spanish, Italian, etc... clubs this summer? I'm aware (or have read rumors of)

Arsenal vs. NY Red Bulls
Tottenham v Chicago Fire

AS Roma vs. Real Madrid
Tottenham vs Toronto
AS Roma vs. Inter Milan
AC Milan vs. Liverpool

Swansea City has been in Chicago since July 6 for training and play Minnesota United of the NASL on July 19 and Chivas Guadalajara from Mexican Premier league on July 16 at Miller Park in Milwaukee. Wish I lived in the Wisconsin area to catch them.

Reaction Score

Arsenal vs. NY Red Bulls
Tottenham v Chicago Fire

AS Roma vs. Real Madrid
Tottenham vs Toronto
AS Roma vs. Inter Milan
AC Milan vs. Liverpool

It's not part of the Summer Series but Man City plays Sporting KC on 23 July for the Champions Shield.

Reaction Score
Goals for the US in the World Cup "Offseason"..

Qualify for the Olympics. Have a good showing in Copa America. Represent CONCACAF in the Confed Cup.

Reaction Score
MLS in midseason
Champions League Play-in already started
Community Shield 8/10
EPL starts 8/16
Bundesliga starts 8/22
La Liga starts 8/23
Serie A starts 8/31
Women's World Cup starts 6/6/15
Gold Cup starts 7/27/15
Copa America starts 6/3/16
Euro 2016 starts 6/10/16
Olympic Football starts 8/4/16
Gold Cup in 2017
Confederations Cup starts 6/17/17
Plus all the qualifying for these tourneys.

Plenty of football to keep us busy til 6/8/18. :D
Can't wait for Bundesliga to start; I'm on my second year of season card for Mainz 05. Plus we have Europa League qualifications starting in two weeks.

I was just teasing SportsArt with this thread; I didn't really mean for it to live more than a few hours. I don't want to get the anti-soccer crowd up in arms...

Reaction Score
As meyers7 noted the upcoming games/tournaments to look forward to, here are some brief descriptions of future events involving (most likely) the USMNT

January 2015 - CONCACAF Under-20 Championship will be played from 9 to 25 January 2015. The top four teams will qualify for U20 World Cup in New Zealand 2015.
May/June 2015 - U20 World Cup hosted by New Zealand
June/July 2015 - The CONCACAF Gold Cup is the main
association football competition of the men's national football teams governed by CONCACAF, determining the regional champion of North America, Central America, and the Caribbean. The Gold Cup is held every two years. Prior to 2015, when the Gold Cup did not fall on the same year as the FIFA Confederations Cup, the winner, or highest placed team that is a member of both CONCACAF and FIFA, qualified for the next staging of that tournament. Beginning in 2015, the winners of two successive Gold Cups (the 2013 and 2015 editions in the first instance) will face each other in a playoff to determine the CONCACAF entrant to the next Confederations Cup. If the same team has won the Gold Cup on both relevant occasions, there will be no playoff and that team will automatically qualify for the Confederations Cup. The US is the reigning Gold Cup Champion, so if they win 2015 they will automatically qualify for the 2017 Confederation Cup (a kind of World Cup tune up tournament - more on that later)
June/July 2016 - Copa America - this is a tournament contested every four years between the
national football teams of CONMEBOL determining the continental champion of South America. The current tournament format involves twelve teams over a period of about a month. The confederation has only ten members, so national teams from other FIFA confederations are invited to fill the other 2 places; Costa Rica, Mexico and the United States have been regulars since being invited for the first time in 1993. The highest finishing member of CONMEBOL has the right to participate in the next edition of the FIFA Confederations Cup, but is not obligated to do so. The centennial edition of the tournament, which will occur in 2016, will be held in the United States. Uruguay is the current Champion.
Feb/March 2016 - U23 Pre Olympic Qualyfiying - CONCACAF tournament consisting of U23 teams of competing nations
August 2016 - Rio Summer Olympics - is an U23 tournament where teams are permitted to add a couple players of any age to the roster.
2016/2017- CONCACAF World Cup Qualiying
July 2017 - The FIFA Confederations Cup is an international
association football tournament for national teams, currently held every four years by FIFA. It is contested by the holders of each of the six FIFA confederation championships (UEFA, CONMEBOL, CONCACAF, CAF, AFC, OFC), along with the FIFA World Cup holder and the host nation, to bring the number of teams up to eight.
Since 2005, the tournament has been held in the nation that will host the FIFA World Cup in the following year, acting as a rehearsal for the larger tournament. Brazil hosted the
2013 FIFA Confederations Cup from 15 to 30 June, which they won by defeating Spain 3–0 in the final. Russia will host 2017, and they along with Germany have already qualified. The US can qualify by either winning the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup, or be beating whoever wins the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup in a one game playoff.
June/July 2018 - FIFA World Cup

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Arsenal vs. NY Red Bulls
Got tickets for this one. First time they have been over here in many, many years. First chance I've had to see them.

Reaction Score
That's for you Art! I know this thread will be whacked immediately, but I'm not done celebrating!

No selfies with Merkel yet??? What kind of a Die Mannschaft fan are you???

Reaction Score
Got tickets for this one. First time they have been over here in many, many years. First chance I've had to see them.
Nice. That should be a great environment w/ Henry v his old club. I was travelling when Spurs came to NYC last, so missed that. Tempted to fly out to Seattle for that game as some friends who are Sounders season ticket holders have one for me if I want, but seeing I just spent 10 days in Brazil for the WC, I don't think my wife is gonna go for that.

Reaction Score
Nice. That should be a great environment w/ Henry v his old club. I was travelling when Spurs came to NYC last, so missed that. Tempted to fly out to Seattle for that game as some friends who are Sounders season ticket holders have one for me if I want, but seeing I just spent 10 days in Brazil for the WC, I don't think my wife is gonna go for that.

SAMMY - Any good stories from Brazil?????

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
SAMMY - Any good stories from Brazil?????
Lot's of stories, but can't tell most. The week+ I was there was alcohol infused, felt like was back on Spring Break, but this time with money to spend on good booze and good food. In a nutshell...
1) Ipanema beaches - outstanding
2) "sight seeing" on beaches - as advertsied, Ipanema lives up to it's reputation. The whole "less is more" in terms of bikini coverage really does work
2a) the foot volleyball and juggling (group of 3-4 guys/girls just juggling.passing a soccer ball) was crazy impressive
2b) people playing soccer everywhere. Think of a big park in the states with 6 or 7 softball fields and all the games, plus teams waiting to play, and make that 10+ soccer fields with games being played on each of them.
3) women (Brazilian and visitors from other coutnries for the Cup) all very friendly and down to party. I'm marreid so definitely did not take advantage, but single friends on the trip had many memorable nights/mornings
4) capirinha's - goooooooooddd. If someone makes those at their tailgate, I may have to stop by.
5) going out in Lapa - insane. Made Bourbon street look almost conservative.
6) people fire off guns and M80's when Brazil scores and after they win. Glad I wasn't there when they lost
7) Maracana is a nice stadium, pretty cool being on a jam packed metro where fans are singing and chanting the entire ride to the stadium
8) Recife is not suitable to cover a major sporting event. Rain or no rain. That was an adventure getting to the stadium and back from my hotel. Took 3 hours to get to a place maybe 10 miles away. Literally walked through flooded streets with thousands of others to get to the metro. Once inside the stadium the environment was great. Germans know what they are doing on the pitch and in the stands.
9) Saw Belgium-Russia, France-Ecuador, US-Germany, and Colombia-Uruguay live. Great atmospheres for all games, but US-Germany and Colombia-Uruguay were the sickest atmospheres. I saw the Belgium girl that got the modelling contract (and subsequently lost it) at the Belgium- Russia game.
10) America was well represented. Definitely had the most fans out and about around Copacabana and Ipanema.
10a) UConn was well represented. I saw a lot of UConn shirts, hats, and some Whaler's shirts around Rio. (by a lot I mean at least 6 or 7 different sightings of people wearing UConn gear, I'm guessing the most of any college - but that could have been just b/c I noticed it when I saw it as opposed to other schools).
10b) There were 3 others on my same flight from Rio to Recife wearing UConn gear, none of us knew one another perviously. I chatted a bit with one of the guys and his friends - mostly about Rio and a little about UConn sports.
11) Did see several protests/marches that were anti-FIFA and World Cup. When you drive thru a favella, you get a much closer view as to what poverty really is and where the money spent to host the Cup could have been better allocated to do more good.

All in all it was a great time, and thanks to RioDog for the tips he provided before I headed down. Bummed I never had a chance to grab a beer with him. I would highly encourage people to get there for the summer Olympics if possible.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Arsenal vs. NY Red Bulls
Tottenham v Chicago Fire

AS Roma vs. Real Madrid
Tottenham vs Toronto
AS Roma vs. Inter Milan
AC Milan vs. Liverpool

WBA is going to Sacramento.

Reaction Score
Lot's of stories, but can't tell most. The week+ I was there was alcohol infused, felt like was back on Spring Break, but this time with money to spend on good booze and good food. In a nutshell...
1) Ipanema beaches - outstanding
2) "sight seeing" on beaches - as advertsied, Ipanema lives up to it's reputation. The whole "less is more" in terms of bikini coverage really does work
2a) the foot volleyball and juggling (group of 3-4 guys/girls just juggling.passing a soccer ball) was crazy impressive
2b) people playing soccer everywhere. Think of a big park in the states with 6 or 7 softball fields and all the games, plus teams waiting to play, and make that 10+ soccer fields with games being played on each of them.
3) women (Brazilian and visitors from other coutnries for the Cup) all very friendly and down to party. I'm marreid so definitely did not take advantage, but single friends on the trip had many memorable nights/mornings
4) capirinha's - goooooooooddd. If someone makes those at their tailgate, I may have to stop by.
5) going out in Lapa - insane. Made Bourbon street look almost conservative.
6) people fire off guns and M80's when Brazil scores and after they win. Glad I wasn't there when they lost
7) Maracana is a nice stadium, pretty cool being on a jam packed metro where fans are singing and chanting the entire ride to the stadium
8) Recife is not suitable to cover a major sporting event. Rain or no rain. That was an adventure getting to the stadium and back from my hotel. Took 3 hours to get to a place maybe 10 miles away. Literally walked through flooded streets with thousands of others to get to the metro. Once inside the stadium the environment was great. Germans know what they are doing on the pitch and in the stands.
9) Saw Belgium-Russia, France-Ecuador, US-Germany, and Colombia-Uruguay live. Great atmospheres for all games, but US-Germany and Colombia-Uruguay were the sickest atmospheres. I saw the Belgium girl that got the modelling contract (and subsequently lost it) at the Belgium- Russia game.
10) America was well represented. Definitely had the most fans out and about around Copacabana and Ipanema.
10a) UConn was well represented. I saw a lot of UConn shirts, hats, and some Whaler's shirts around Rio. (by a lot I mean at least 6 or 7 different sightings of people wearing UConn gear, I'm guessing the most of any college - but that could have been just b/c I noticed it when I saw it as opposed to other schools).
10b) There were 3 others on my same flight from Rio to Recife wearing UConn gear, none of us knew one another perviously. I chatted a bit with one of the guys and his friends - mostly about Rio and a little about UConn sports.
11) Did see several protests/marches that were anti-FIFA and World Cup. When you drive thru a favella, you get a much closer view as to what poverty really is and where the money spent to host the Cup could have been better allocated to do more good.

All in all it was a great time, and thanks to RioDog for the tips he provided before I headed down. Bummed I never had a chance to grab a beer with him. I would highly encourage people to get there for the summer Olympics if possible.

Thanks for that summary! I was worried that the protests and rainy weather would put a damper on things for you, but it sounds like you and your friends had a great time!

Reaction Score
http://www.sounderatheart.com/sound...13/5895619/deandre-yedlin-record-transfer-fee

Deandre Yedlin could fetch a record transfer fee.. Up to 7 Million. Started at around 5 Million.

I am an OL fan, so seeing Yeldin go to Lyon would be fantastic.
That said, I do not see it happening for 2 reasons. First MLS seems to want to use Yeldin as a poster boy. Can’t blame them. A transfer to Lyon, which is a solid team, would not be high profile enough, especially as Lyon is hard to get on US TV, though a Yeldin transfer to them may help. Second, the transfer market insane right now. Lyon has been very successful in Ligue 1 club and dominated it until the crazy money started to hit France. They will be outbid. After all, Ligue 1 is not one of the top tier European leagues; but, Qatar backed Paris SG, which historically has been one of the most overrated clubs around, outbid Spanish, Italian, and English clubs for Zlatan Ibrahimović and Thiago Silva in 2012 and look to be locked into a bidding war with Man U for Inter Milan’s Angel Di Maria (Argentina). That is some serious cash that Lyon does not have.

http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/eye-on-world-cup/24619193/report-suarez-will-lose-millions-from-barcelona-if-he-bites-anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom