OT: Olympic Badminton Controversy | The Boneyard

OT: Olympic Badminton Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In a way I'm glad the Olympic committee decided to do that. I totally get, for example, in a hoops game putting in all your reserves when you are up big. that's getting all your players a chance to play but it's NOT throwing the game/match. I'm sure it's hard to prove that, but if it's that obvious, then good. The players and teams SHOULD play to win.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How would they, the athletes, like to be fans who paid a pretty dollar for venue tickets and then got to watch that mess.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How would they, the athletes, like to be fans who paid a pretty dollar for venue tickets and then got to watch that mess.
Well you gotta wonder about anyone paying a pretty penny to watch badminton anyway. ;)

Reaction Score
Well you gotta wonder about anyone paying a pretty penny to watch badminton anyway. ;)
Wasn't badminton invented in England? There may have been a bunch of limey badminton aficionados there in the stands.

Reaction Score
Wasn't badminton invented in England? There may have been a bunch of limey badminton aficionados there in the stands.

If it had been Philadelphia, I think the two teams would've been running for their lives... ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can't blame the teams (much) for advancing their interests. It was a predictable potential problem that was cause by a rules change.

Reaction Score
I went back and watched both these matches online in their entirety. It was pretty bizarre. In both matches, the players began by constantly tapping the birdie into the net on their serves and half-@ssing their volleys. It was so blatant it was ridiculous, and the officials & the crowd were having none of it. It wasn't until the officials intervened during the 1st set and gave them warnings that they upped their game and made it look like they were trying harder, but at that point everyone was already skeptical. They both finished their "matches," but in the end, it didn't save any of them from disqualification.

I have to think they were pressured by their coaches or higher ups in their respective nations to throw the matches to get an easier draw the next round. Even if they thought their strategy was smart based on the given format, it was still the wrong thing to do. They'd be more respected for giving their best and losing to a tougher opponent later on than making a mockery out of their own sport and disgracing themselves and their country.

I don't think this is the kind of attention that badminton wanted. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I can kind of understand China's predicament. The way the knock out stage was set up there was no way China's two teams could get Gold and Silver. They would have played each other in the quarters or semi's, from what I heard. But still......bad form.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I actually like badminton but this was "a bad show chaps"!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think this is a case of selective outrage for USA fans. Apolo Ohno did the same thing is the USA trials a few years back. He tanked a heat race of an event he had already qualified for. If he had won, his buddy would have been knocked out.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
..better check where all the "big, late money" fell with the British bookies on them thar bad-mitten matches. :eek:

Reaction Score
..better check where all the "big, late money" fell with the British bookies on them thar bad-mitten matches. :eek:

That's why I never bet on badminton...the sport is notorious...

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
It's about the medal count, baby! While we watch the count and feel proud of US achievement, in these countries winning medals, and especially gold, is a goal strongly encouraged by the state.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There are local badminton clubs all over England. It is the #3 national sport behind cricket and football (soccer).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There are local badminton clubs all over England. It is the #3 national sport behind cricket and football (soccer).
Have my doubts about that. I would think Rugby and probably Tennis are ahead of badminton.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I don't know about eating but I hear that they can knock down a few beers while competing at darts as well as the Aussies.

Reaction Score
I don't know about eating but I hear that they can knock down a few beers while competing at darts as well as the Aussies.

I'll vouch for that...gotta keep your eyes on those darts...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I know they have dart highlights on like.... Skysports.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Have my doubts about that. I would think Rugby and probably Tennis are ahead of badminton.
Not according to statistics cited during the Olympics. Apparently badminton is HUGE in England.
There is even badminton.tv in England and it is the most popular racquette sport, even more than tennis or squash with more than 4 million participating or about 8.6% of the population."
Previous surveys by Sport England and the Department of Culture also supported the view that badminton was the leading racket sport in the country, despite the global popularity of the Wimbledon tennis tournament and the money involved in tennis."
English Sports survey.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not according to statistics cited during the Olympics. Apparently badminton is HUGE in England.
There is even badminton.tv in England and it is the most popular racquette sport, even more than tennis or squash with more than 4 million participating or about 8.6% of the population."
Previous surveys by Sport England and the Department of Culture also supported the view that badminton was the leading racket sport in the country, despite the global popularity of the Wimbledon tennis tournament and the money involved in tennis."
English Sports survey.

I read that it was the second racket sport, after tennis. Let alone Rugby. Might be how one determines popularity. i.e. more people play soccer in USA than any other sport, but it's not near the most popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom