OT: Old Guy Rock and Roll update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Old Guy Rock and Roll update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
what did people think of the Neil Young show? It took me 45 minutes to get off exit 27 due to people continuously cutting in at the last second and the overall poor layout of the area. The concert was really good, we left early though to avoid getting stuck in the parking garage so i missed the encore.

I though neil sounded great however i was disappointed that his set lists were virtually the same thing on this tour. i would have loved for him to switch it up a bit but at 68 years old i can understand

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
what did people think of the Neil Young show? It took me 45 minutes to get off exit 27 due to people continuously cutting in at the last second and the overall poor layout of the area. The concert was really good, we left early though to avoid getting stuck in the parking garage so i missed the encore.

I though neil sounded great however i was disappointed that his set lists were virtually the same thing on this tour. i would have loved for him to switch it up a bit but at 68 years old i can understand

Precisely at the intersection of "it was what it was" and "amazing" for both former SNL star Candy Slice and Crazy Horse w/the guy in the plaid shirt. Both well-exceeded what anyone their age in the audience could put simply out as fans. Every 'complaint' I'd read of in advance was recognizable: unvaried set list, 'not loud enough' (though the sound was way better than I'd imagined it could be), no "Cortez the Killer." I loved it, and came home & slept spectacularly well!

(Yeah, access & egress somewhat slow, but I spend so little time in traffic or crowds that I lack perspective. Even so, I felt blessed to arrive and return so quickly - another perk of doing time in "The Park City")

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought he lost some momentum with that extended feedback/noise session. He got it all back with "duck*in Up". Overall, I pretty much loved it.

Reaction Score
I thought he lost some momentum with that extended feedback/noise session. He got it all back with "duck*in Up". Overall, I pretty much loved it.

Yeah that was awkward, my dad and I were wondering how long that was gonna go on for

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Leonard Cohen's show was just great in Waterbury a few years back.

I even liked Neil's Americana disc they sent us. Wouldn't mine if he played his version of Oh Susannah tomorrow. I've been checking the setlists. Seems pretty steady. I hoping he does "Like A Hurricane" for the encore.
Leonard Cohen was unbelievably good in Waterbury. His voice has changed over the decades but his ability to deliver those songs has not.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Leonard Cohen was unbelievably good in Waterbury. His voice has changed over the decades but his ability to deliver those songs has not.

That's a good way of putting. I felt a great deal heart and soul coming from the stage. And a crack band.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

The feedback/noise stuff was called "Sandy", I think. Originally, Bridgeport was the end of the Tour. There's now an upcoming storm victim benefit at The Borgata in Atlantic City. During the aimless noodling with lightning video, there was a guy in foul weather gear who kept trying to get crumpled paper aloft by feeding in front of a giant fan at the left side of the stage. It failed miserably, and he kept making adjustments to no avail. Eventually, I decided that the noise was a 'placeholder' while they tested the fans. The blowing fans never quite worked, and the paying fans have weighed in here and at the show: Springsteen's version of "Sandy" is much better.

'F'in Up' totally brought things back. Maybe the song was secretly dedicated to the guy in the foul weather gear.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The feedback/noise stuff was called "Sandy", I think. Originally, Bridgeport was the end of the Tour. There's now an upcoming storm victim benefit at The Borgata in Atlantic City. During the aimless noodling with lightning video, there was a guy in foul weather gear who kept trying to get crumpled paper aloft by feeding in front of a giant fan at the left side of the stage. It failed miserably, and he kept making adjustments to no avail. Eventually, I decided that the noise was a 'placeholder' while they tested the fans. The blowing fans never quite worked, and the paying fans have weighed in here and at the show: Springsteen's version of "Sandy" is much better.

'F'in Up' totally brought things back. Maybe the song was secretly dedicated to the guy in the foul weather gear.
I'm pretty sure that the whole scene and the noise following "Walk Like a Giant" was as it was intended to be, and that the guy in the foul weather gear was just trying to get the paper blowing across the stage, which he did, to create that scene as a backdrop for the discordant, stormy, thrashing sounds.

I went with my wife and two other couples, but all the couples had seats in different parts of the arena (we were a few rows off the floor in the first section in front of the stage; another couple was GA on the floor, about 20 feet back; and another was higher up and further back in the seats). He definitely lost momentum with my wife and the other seated (and older) couple with the sonic assault there, and a few other times. They love him, too, but they thought he went on too long with the assault and didn't know when to stop. The third couple and I loved it all because it was pure Neil, including pushing it well over the edge. I was laughing hysterically during that, but my wife thought it was awful (which made me laugh more hysterically).

He played enough of the stuff they liked to make them happy they went, but I was really thrilled to see him so much in his element and in the best spirits I have ever seen him. He's passionate and he's original, and he rocks like no one else. I was also the only one of us to have and have listened to Psychedelic Pill a lot, and I really like it, which I think helped my appreciation of the show because there was so much new material.

I was happy I saw Patti Smith and thought she was a good opener for Neil. Her music doesn't move me much, but her spirit does, and it seems pretty clear that she and Neil share a similar ethic about their music.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"Roll Another Number."

I was hoping for "Like a Hurricane" but he's probably saving it for the Sandy benefit. But I was blasting it during my journey from the parking garage.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was hoping for "Like a Hurricane" but he's probably saving it for the Sandy benefit. But I was blasting it during my journey from the parking garage.
I'm with you there. My only minor gripe, as some have mentioned, was the lack of variation in the set list from the prior shows, and no "special" song selection for our show. I was hoping for "Cortez the Killer," and I likewise blasted that on my way home last night. He played it when I saw his solo show at the Oakdale a few years ago, so I can't complain too much. For a second I thought he was going to play "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" when he mentioned it during his "time travel." That would have been a great lagniappe for me, as it's also one of my all-time favorites.

The "Roll Another Number" encore allowed us to get a head start toward the door. I don't dislike it at all, and we stayed until the end, but it wasn't something for which I needed to be riveted in my seat, so we waited and listened by the exit.

Crazy fog for our drive home. Late start for me this morning. That's a tough show for a "school night" for me these days. Sunday looks to be the same...

Reaction Score
was the traffic bad leaving for anyone that parked in the parking garage? that was my biggest fear... taking an hour and a half to get out of the garage

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm with you there. My only minor gripe, as some have mentioned, was the lack of variation in the set list from the prior shows, and no "special" song selection for our show. I was hoping for "Cortez the Killer," and I likewise blasted that on my way home last night. He played it when I saw his solo show at the Oakdale a few years ago, so I can't complain too much. For a second I thought he was going to play "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" when he mentioned it during his "time travel." That would have been a great lagniappe for me, as it's also one of my all-time favorites.

The "Roll Another Number" encore allowed us to get a head start toward the door. I don't dislike it at all, and we stayed until the end, but it wasn't something for which I needed to be riveted in my seat, so we waited and listened by the exit.

Crazy fog for our drive home. Late start for me this morning. That's a tough show for a "school night" for me these days. Sunday looks to be the same...
I enjoy reading your posts about bands. Lots of depth to your passion. What a gift to have!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I enjoy reading your posts about bands. Lots of depth to your passion. What a gift to have!
Thanks! Live music and UConn hoops are two of my greatest passions in life, so I'm glad to be here among people who appreciate the same.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was hoping for "Like a Hurricane"
Well it turns out that Santa heard your request, but it was Jason Isbell who played it for his encore last night at Arch Street.

Wow. Helluva show. Loved Neil and really looking forward to the Who tonight, but I'll be surprised if it doesn't remain the case that I enjoyed the Jason Isbell show last night the most. Any Boneyarders out there in D.C., Boston, Philly or Chicago areas should check out his upcoming shows there. Really can't say enough good things about the songs, his playing, the band, and his presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom