OT: Old Guy Rock and Roll update | The Boneyard

OT: Old Guy Rock and Roll update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've been to 3 OGRnR concerts since the summer. Two (Roger Waters, The Boss) were tremendous. One (Santana, Allmans) was a fun night out, nothing special. I have two more this week - Neil Young and The Who. I'm really looking forward to Young, I've never seen him Crazy Horse. I just hope The Who isn't a cringe. Daltry solo was a disappointment last year.

I tried to get Clapton tickets today. Logged in the second they went on sale and they were sold out already, except for single seats.

Reaction Score
I was a big Who and Pink Floyd fan when I was younger.

I thought the only elderly band I would see or be interested in were the Dead (and they weren't even that old when I saw them), but recently I've gone to some shows of some of my favorite singers because I thought they're getting to the end of the line.

In May I saw Gordon Lightfoot and then a few weeks later saw Willie Nelson.

Neither of the shows was very good, but what did I expect? These guys are pushing 80! Willie I think is already past 80.

In a few weeks, I'm going to see Leonard Cohen at MSG.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've been to 3 OGRnR concerts since the summer. Two (Roger Waters, The Boss) were tremendous. One (Santana, Allmans) was a fun night out, nothing special. I have two more this week - Neil Young and The Who. I'm really looking forward to Young, I've never seen him Crazy Horse. I just hope The Who isn't a cringe. Daltry solo was a disappointment last year.

I tried to get Clapton tickets today. Logged in the second they went on sale and they were sold out already, except for single seats.
I missed Waters this time around but would see him again in a heartbeat. I agree that Bruce was tremendous. Wasn't interested in seeing Santana/Allmans any more, but if you are partial to the ABB, imo there's no better live show to see right now than the Tedeschi Trucks Band. I've seen both Susan and Derek a lot in various forms over the years, and I've now seen the TTB three times, including their recent show at the Palace in Waterbury. They are really in a great place right now, and the band really gels.

I'll be at both Neil and the Who this week also. I thought of hitting the Stones show in Brooklyn on Saturday for the ultimate geezer rock week (and imo they still put on a helluva show), but I think the closer Jason Isbell show at Arch Street will probably prevail for me that night. I saw Neil last time he came around, for the solo show at the Oakdale, and that was great--except for the crowd. I haven't seen him with Crazy Horse in several years and I'm definitely looking forward to that. Friends have been raving about his recent shows. I really love the sound of his new album, although the lyrics are a little lacking in spots imo. I've never seen Patti Smith before and, even though her music isn't in my wheelhouse, I consider her a legend and I am glad to check her off the bucket list. I've also been hearing great things about her opening set. Likewise, friends who have been to the Quadrophenia show so far have all loved it. I haven't seen The Who since Shea Stadium (with the Clash opening!) in 1982 and I was a little wary of going, given that I thought they were horrible at the Super Bowl a few years ago, and I read an uneven review of their first show in this tour. But they seem to be polishing up nicely as it goes on, especially the first part of the show, which is really why I'm going--I love that album.

I've been thinking a lot lately about what an amazing year it's been for geezer rock. Admittedly, I'm partial to the music I've grown up with, but even so I think the releases from many of these older artists have been among the very best this year in all of music, ranging from "still good" to really excellent and vibrant new material. In no particular order, some of my favorite new releases in geezer rock:

Springsteen: Wrecking Ball
Bonnie Raitt: Slipstream
Dr. John: Locked Down
Neil: Psychedelic Pill
Van: Born To Sing: No Plan B
Graham Parker & The Rumour: Three Chords Good
Ian Hunter & The Rant Band: When I'm President
Bob Dylan: Tempest

I've also heard a few new songs from Donald Fagen that I've liked, but I haven't heard the whole new release yet.

In a few weeks, I'm going to see Leonard Cohen at MSG.
I've been hearing raves about his recent shows, too. His voice is apparently reduced to a whisper, but still very effective, with a crack band.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Leonard Cohen's show was just great in Waterbury a few years back.

I even liked Neil's Americana disc they sent us. Wouldn't mine if he played his version of Oh Susannah tomorrow. I've been checking the setlists. Seems pretty steady. I hoping he does "Like A Hurricane" for the encore.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I've also heard a few new songs from Donald Fagen that I've liked, but I haven't heard the whole new release yet.

I bought Fagen's CD and did not like it first time through very much, but more the second time. I think that it will grow on me, but I only thought his first solo album was really good.

I've wondered about how good the Tedeschi/Trucks band was...sounds like it would be worth checking them out. Thanks!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Tedeschi/Trucks is dont miss stuff. Unfortunately Oteil Burbridge just left the band, but they are still firing on all cylinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Leonard Cohen's show was just great in Waterbury a few years back.

I even liked Neil's Americana disc they sent us. Wouldn't mine if he played his version of Oh Susannah tomorrow. I've been checking the setlists. Seems pretty steady. I hoping he does "Like A Hurricane" for the encore.
Like a lot of the turns Neil has taken, I didn't know what to make of the concept behind Americana at first, but any concern I had went out the window as soon as I heard "Oh Susannah," which I proceeded to repeat a least a dozen times before moving on. Very hypnotic, driving jam there. I agree, I would love to hear it tomorrow. And I want at least one of the epics, like "Like a Hurricane," "Cortez the Killer," "Powderfinger," etc.

Speaking of Neil, if you happen to catch the new PBS special "Inventing David Geffen," it is worth it for the running commentary from Neil alone. Hysterical when he describes being sued by Geffen for not sounding like Neil Young. It is a great watch overall though imo. Fascinatingly impressive life, to put it mildly.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Tedeschi/Trucks is dont miss stuff. Unfortunately Oteil Burbridge just left the band, but they are still firing on all cylinders.
Yeah, I was bummed to see that. He left right after the Waterbury show I saw, and I had just been commenting about how much fun it was to watch him and Kofi play off each other and Derek. Oteil lays down some serious thunder and fits so well with the band. But obviously George Porter, Jr. is about as good of a fill as you could hope for, and now you get the added bonus of hearing some Meters' material make it into the TTB set lists, like a smoking "Ain't No Use" they pulled out the other night, which you can hear here.

ETA, looks like they pulled it out again in Boston over the weekend:

Reaction Score
I was at the Tedeschi Trucks Band show in Waterbury and about 5 or 6 songs in I said to myself this is the greatest show I have seen (dating back to 1971). They opened with George Harrison's Wah Wah. Goosebumps. Derek has really taken a step forward cranking his guitar and leading the band. And Susan's pipes, wow!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was at the Tedeschi Trucks Band show in Waterbury and about 5 or 6 songs in I said to myself this is the greatest show I have seen (dating back to 1971). They opened with George Harrison's Wah Wah. Goosebumps. Derek has really taken a step forward cranking his guitar and leading the band. And Susan's pipes, wow!
Derek is my favorite living guitarist. At first I was concerned that he wouldn't have enough room to explore in a full-time gig with Susan; and I thought her voice might wear on me if she was singing all the material. Gotta say I was totally off on that call. It seems as though picking his spots and fills has made him even more expressive, and Susan has really expanded her range to cover all this material wonderfully (with nice spots for Mike Mattison, whose vocals used to wear on me a bit over the course of a whole DTB show).

"Wah Wah" caught me totally off-guard, and they were still fussing with the sound, so it took me a while to pick it out. Couldn't believe they also covered "Isn't It A Pity" in the same show, but I did call that one from the few few notes--and Susan really did a nice vocal there on a tricky tune that could have easily come up flat in the hands of lesser talents.

Best part of the show is watching how well they all work together. With 11 or so pieces, that is a feat in itself. They genuinely seem to enjoy each other and what they are doing, and it shows.

Reaction Score
Derek is my favorite living guitarist.

I gotta agree with you there, 88. I saw the DTB at the Warner in Torrington and the Palace in Waterbury (as did you I'm betting). But what sealed it for me is when he played with Clapton at Mohegan Sun and he was by far the more interesting player compared to old EC. Eric, shut up and let Derek play!!

Reaction Score
I'm pretty excited after reading some of your comments about Leonard Cohen.

He's one of my favorite artists, as is Gordon Lightfoot, and I really never thought I'd see either of them live.

I feel embarrassed- I've never heard of Tedeschi Trucks Band! I guess I fit in perfectly with the title of this thread.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've been checking the setlists. Seems pretty steady. I hoping he does "Like A Hurricane" for the encore.
I hadn't been checking the setlists in a while, but now I have and I see what you are saying. Pretty predictable with only a few variables; "Powderfinger" every night, which is nice. I'd love either "Cortez the Killer" or "Like a Hurricane," and he didn't play either last night, so here's hoping...

Reaction Score
I’m pissed I missed the Tederucks show last month and it was right down the road.
I saw Susan Tedeschi several times when she first “made it” in 1999…A free show on the New Haven town green, Wolf’s Den at Mohegan and a nice little nightclub style show at Jorgenson on campus. She was promoted as “the next Bonnie Raitt” with her guitar prowess, but it was always her powerful & soulful voice that stood out.
Funny to think she was nominated for a Grammy in 2000 for ”best new artist” along with Britney Spears, Macy Gray, Kid Rock and eventual winner, Christina Aguilera.

And yes, Donald Fagen new one "Sunken Condos" will definitely grow on you with repeated listenings. I especially like his cover of Isaac Hayes' "Out of the Ghetto".

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'll be at Neil. Friends have been raving about his recent shows with Crazy Horse. Likewise, friends who have been to the Quadrophenia show so far have all loved it. I haven't seen The Who since Shea Stadium (with the Clash opening!) in 1982

Yes, I've edited, but the above is true for me as well. Btw, my Patti Smith experiences have all been positive. I last (and only) saw Neil on Bicentennial Day as part of Stills-Young Band at Niagara Fall Arena. His songs were all sludgy thrashing splendor and I'm expecting that tonight.

And . . . "Tonight's the night"!

Any sense of viability f showing up at Mohegan Sun Sunday night for Who tix? Would I likely pay premium or score a better deal? I've never been there.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I was bummed to see that. He left right after the Waterbury show I saw, and I had just been commenting about how much fun it was to watch him and Kofi play off each other and Derek. Oteil lays down some serious thunder and fits so well with the band. But obviously George Porter, Jr. is about as good of a fill as you could hope for, and now you get the added bonus of hearing some Meters' material make it into the TTB set lists, like a smoking "Ain't No Use" they pulled out the other night, which you can hear here.

ETA, looks like they pulled it out again in Boston over the weekend:

Wow, good stuff. You can tell where that boy (Derek) grew up.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

A few years ago at the Meadows Tedeschi played. Also Government Mule. Then the Allman's. Not sure if Santana was the headliner that night.

My wife would love to see Tedeschi again. Derek with her would be icing.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
A few years ago at the Meadows Tedeschi played. Also Government Mule. Then the Allman's. Not sure if Santana was the headliner that night.

My wife would love to see Tedeschi again. Derek with her would be icing.
You know they are married, right? And a nicer couple you will never meet. The thought of the potential talent of their offspring is humbling.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
You know they are married, right? And a nicer couple you will never meet. The thought of the potential talent of their offspring is humbling.

I did not know that. We accidentally came across her her "Just Won't Burn" cd and were hooked. We lost it and now I am adding it to my amazon order tonight.

Reaction Score
I did not know that. We accidentally came across her her "Just Won't Burn" cd and were hooked. We lost it and now I am adding it to my amazon order tonight.

Been married 11 years. They have 2 kids.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Any sense of viability f showing up at Mohegan Sun Sunday night for Who tix? Would I likely pay premium or score a better deal? I've never been there.
I have no idea what the scalping scene is there as I've only been to one concert there before and it was a long time ago. I've scalped tickets to hundreds of events in various states and countries and have never been shut out of one yet, and I would expect that I would be able to get my way into a show there one way or another if I showed up, but I couldn't tell you whether this venue is an easy one to work or not.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Add TTB's live album, Everybody's Talkin', to your order.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not sure if the Who is sold out.
51N00F1KPPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads