OT: Oh Hartford | The Boneyard

OT: Oh Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Wolfpack are playing home playoff games in Worcester due to the circus.

Well played XL Center.

Reaction Score
When the building's operating losses are subsidized by state taxpayers the main concern is to book events that turn a profit.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How is that their fault?

I only mentioned it because it was funny.

I imagine they knew the risk and made the decision anyway.

Would lead me to believe the Wolfpack will be elsewhere when lease is up.

Reaction Score

We had to play some games in the 1988 NIT at the Field House on campus instead of at the Civic Center... because we were bumped out by the Muppet Babies. No one thought there would be any basketball in March.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We had to play some games in the 1988 NIT at the Field House on campus instead of at the Civic Center... because we were bumped out by the Muppet Babies. No one thought there would be any basketball in March.

UConn had and has a reasonable alternative.

The relationship between the HCC and the state is different than the relationship between the HCC and a professional sports franchise.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Why not be forced to move because of the circus, their parent club had to deal with the same thing for about two decades.

When Tex Rickert passed away abrubtly from a heart attack in the late 1930's, Jack Adams (who owned the Red Wings at the time) became chairman of the board of Madison Square Garden (who owned the Rangers from their inception through today). MSG's management conveniently had Barnum & Bailey's circus booked during the time the NHL playoffs would take place for the next quarter century and until the late 1950's refused to reschedule the circus around playoff games. In the 1950 NHL finals the Rangers, who had earned home ice advantage played two of their home games against the Red Wings in Toronto and the other two (the Wings won in game seven in double OT) as the home team in Detroit.

Only the NHL would allow the owner of one franchise to sit as chairman of another.

Reaction Score
UConn had and has a reasonable alternative.

The relationship between the HCC and the state is different than the relationship between the HCC and a professional sports franchise.

Oh, I know. The reasoning was the same, though. It's a building, we need it filled, and the home team will likely be done by then.

Same thing happened to the Twins/Vikings in 1987. A Vikings game was scheduled for the Metrodome on the same day as Game 7 of the World Series, which no one expected to be played there when the schedule was made, so they had two Monday Night games the next night.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh, I know. The reasoning was the same, though. It's a building, we need it filled, and the home team will likely be done by then.

Same thing happened to the Twins/Vikings in 1987. A Vikings game was scheduled for the Metrodome on the same day as Game 7 of the World Series, which no one expected to be played there when the schedule was made, so they had two Monday Night games the next night.

If only the Twins had to move their game to St Louis because Milwaukee and Chicago had rolled up their grass for the season.

I guess that is the funniest part. Bridgeport and Springfield weren't options because they already melted the ice.

They should have just played them all on the road at least they could have had a gate.

Reaction Score
Because Worcester had ice! Will be interesting to see what attendance is! Appears all seats are $12.00. Plenty of seats available!

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Looks like Whaler has renewed his subscription to the Courant. Or he is fishing through the recycle bins at work as this was in the Rag yesterday or day before.
But really, playoff AHL hockey draws about 3-4K. Kids are playing sports and most casual fans think the season is over anyways

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Looks like Whaler has renewed his subscription to the Courant. Or he is fishing through the recycle bins at work as this was in the Rag yesterday or day before.
But really, playoff AHL hockey draws about 3-4K. Kids are playing sports and most casual fans think the season is over anyways

I knew they were alive because I heard it mentioned during the Rangers game the affiliates were also playing in the Calder Cup playoffs.

When I googled the schedule I carefully avoided the Courant article and read one from Noah Finz.

You are right though, it's not like it's news I happened upon it by accident.

Reaction Score
No that's why they are playing in Worcester.

I know nothing about prepping an arena for a hockey game, but now I'm intrigued. Where does the ice go when a hockey game is over and there's a basketball game the next day?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know nothing about prepping an arena for a hockey game, but now I'm intrigued. Where does the ice go when a hockey game is over and there's a basketball game the next day?

The court is on top of it.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I knew they were alive because I heard it mentioned during the Rangers game the affiliates were also playing in the Calder Cup playoffs.

When I googled the schedule I carefully avoided the Courant article and read one from Noah Finz.

You are right though, it's not like it's news I happened upon it by accident.

LOL. I get it delivered, for the Sports section mostly, but cannot stand the sanctimonious Jacobs, as many on this board.
It was funny that Bpt and Springfield shut it down. I didn't know you couldn't make ice whenever needed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I feel like an idiot. I always thought that was a joke. The more you know...

I don't know if the current NHL arenas rebuild the ice more often but the Civic Center used to melt the ice and start over once a season when the Whalers were on a long road trip.

Reaction Score
I feel like an idiot. I always thought that was a joke. The more you know...
Don't feel stupid. I had a buddy who thought there were two separate identical civic centers, one for hockey and one for basketball. He refused to believe me when i told him the court was on top despite him not being able to locate the mysterious twin civic center.

Reaction Score
The court is on top of it.

Remember when on hot, humid days in the late spring when the Celtics would be playing home playoff games at the old Garden and the floor had to be continuously wiped down? That was the ice underneath cooling the parquet floor above it causing the humidity above to condense on the floor.

Reaction Score
Don't feel stupid. I had a buddy who thought there were two separate identical civic centers, one for hockey and one for basketball. He refused to believe me when i told him the court was on top despite him not being able to locate the mysterious twin civic center.

That reminds me of high school when some poor freshman would ask where the pool was for gym class. The pool that was supposed to be included in the 1970's addition to the high school was cut out for budget reasons. Nevertheless, nearly 20 years later, and people still thought there was a pool in the building.

Reaction Score
They roll it up and put it in a big refrigerator. Then the put it out again for the games. End of the season they break it up and sell it as ice for beach goers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

What are you talking about? What risk? What decision? The circus comes to Hartford every May. It hasn't been an issue lately because the Pack hasn't made the playoffs. The Pack sold out the lower bowl for their last two playoff games. The crowds were in to it. I don't think the AHL did them any favors. Why couldn't they play on Tuesday? If they make it to a game six the place will be rocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom