OT: Oh Hartford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Oh Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? What risk? What decision? The circus comes to Hartford every May. It hasn't been an issue lately because the Pack hasn't made the playoffs. The Pack sold out the lower bowl for their last two playoff games. The crowds were in to it. I don't think the AHL did them any favors. Why couldn't they play on Tuesday? If they make it to a game six the place will be rocking.

The risk would be alienating a tenant who pays rent. Since the circus has a handful of dates and the Wolfpack have 40+.

Reaction Score
The risk would be alienating a tenant who pays rent. Since the circus has a handful of dates and the Wolfpack have 40+.

You know that they don't pay rent, right?

The state actually pays MSG 1.4M/yr for the affiliation agreement.

If they didn't book the Circus (and these dates are booked 3-4 years in advanced) they would risk having to ask taxpayers to cut a check at the end of the fiscal year for operating losses on the building.

Early round Wolf Pack playoff games are not profitable - the Circus is. It's not that tough to grasp why it has to be this way.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You know that they don't pay rent, right?

The state actually pays MSG 1.4M/yr for the affiliation agreement.

If they didn't book the Circus (and these dates are booked 3-4 years in advanced) they would risk having to ask taxpayers to cut a check at the end of the fiscal year for operating losses on the building.

Early round Wolf Pack playoff games are not profitable - the Circus is. It's not that tough to grasp why it has to be this way.

I'm under the impression that Global Spectrum pays the 1.4 million for the affiliation fee.

Not sure the anger like I said I posted it because it was funny. I don't care if the Wolfpack stay or completely disappear off the face of the planet.

Since Global was selected because they were able to save the AHL team it must be important in someone's mind and the contract is up again at the end of 2016.

Reaction Score
Hartford is a minor league City in so many ways. They want the new baseball stadium but now want to be bailed out by the state but if the state wants them to do something Hsrtford officials whine.

Reaction Score
They roll it up and put it in a big refrigerator. Then the put it out again for the games. End of the season they break it up and sell it as ice for beach goers.
I have to put a like on this. It's funny!!

Reaction Score
Don't feel stupid. I had a buddy who thought there were two separate identical civic centers, one for hockey and one for basketball. He refused to believe me when i told him the court was on top despite him not being able to locate the mysterious twin civic center.
This is the best thing I've ever read.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't feel stupid. I had a buddy who thought there were two separate identical civic centers, one for hockey and one for basketball. He refused to believe me when i told him the court was on top despite him not being able to locate the mysterious twin civic center.

Take him to Quinnipiac and blow his mind.

Reaction Score
I'm under the impression that Global Spectrum pays the 1.4 million for the affiliation fee.

Not sure the anger like I said I posted it because it was funny. I don't care if the Wolfpack stay or completely disappear off the face of the planet.

Since Global was selected because they were able to save the AHL team it must be important in someone's mind and the contract is up again at the end of 2016.

The State pays the affiliation fee; It's the highest affiliation fee in the AHL.

The 2 main reasons Global was chosen over AEG is because Hartford isn't factoring in very many concerts into the buildings events making AEG pretty much worthless since that's their bread and butter. The other reason was that GS put up more $ for capitol improvements than AEG did.

In a sense it saved the WP because AEG didn't want to manage an AHL team in the building but for the reasons I outlined above they weren't winning the bid regardless.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The State pays the affiliation fee; It's the highest affiliation fee in the AHL.

The 2 main reasons Global was chosen over AEG is because Hartford isn't factoring in very many concerts into the buildings events making AEG pretty much worthless since that's their bread and butter. The other reason was that GS put up more $ for capitol improvements than AEG did.

In a sense it saved the WP because AEG didn't want to manage an AHL team in the building but for the reasons I outlined above they weren't winning the bid regardless.

Ok all the articles I saw said Global pays the affiliation fee and the state pays them 750k or so as a management fee. They did pony up a lot more capitol for the renovations and AEG has their corporate battles which keep them from booking concerts.

Reaction Score
The WP can't outdraw the circus, period. One can question the management of the building in terms of contingency planning, but I am confused as to how the FB board gives a darn about medicore minor league hockey in May. The WP only draw well on hope and promise - they drew well early as folks thought we might get the Whalers back and they drew well when the Whale returned, although neither was sustainable. The NHL is never coming back and with the rise of UConn hockey, the Wolf Pack become increasingly irrelevant. Wait till the Yard goats start playing in a new stadium in the spring.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One can question the management of the building in terms of contingency planning, but I am confused as to how the FB board gives a darn about medicore minor league hockey in May.

It hasn't been mediocre minor league hockey, it's been top-notch minor league hockey. The games have been great.

Reaction Score
It hasn't been mediocre minor league hockey, it's been top-notch minor league hockey. The games have been great.

Back in the day, I caught some of the best amateur boxing cards out there at the old New Haven Nighthawk games at the Coliseum. They even tried to play a little hockey in between trips back and forth to the penalty box. What a deal!

Reaction Score
Back in the day, I caught some of the best amateur boxing cards out there at the old New Haven Nighthawk games at the Coliseum. They even tried to play a little hockey in between trips back and forth to the penalty box. What a deal!

What a time to grow up in the NH area. Section 14 "The Jungle", Ken Baumgartner, Ken Hammond "Egger", the Calder Cup Final run in the late 80's with Rollin Melanson in net.

What memories.

Reaction Score

Don't forget the third arena for monster trucks, motocross and rodeo.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Waquoit said:

Was at game five vs. providence and had a great time. Hell of an ending.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
0511152118_resized.jpg

Honest question, do you work for the XL Center? Anytime someone mentions it in any negative light (even jokingly) you appear immediately to defend it.

Somebody has to do it. UConn would be nowhere without it. Take this Friday night, what is going to be more fun than playoff hockey and $2. beers? Hint: Nothing. And no, I do not work for them of have any financial interest. I just have seen hundreds of events there and want to see more.

Reaction Score

who let rich cappola on here?

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Would lead me to believe the Wolfpack will be elsewhere when lease is up.

I've heard rumors that once the Islanders move to Brooklyn, they're sending the Bridgeport team to play in their old arena in Long Island. Then the Rangers are going to take the Wolfpack to Bridgeport (Bridgeport actually has slightly better attendance than Hartford, and proximity probably helps too).

I don't know if it's true, but it makes sense to me. If that's the case, hopefully Uconn hockey continues to grow and make up some of the difference...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom