OT: Oh Canada (yep another music thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Oh Canada (yep another music thread)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That link to the k.d. lang song didn't work for me. Here's a duet w/ her and Dwight Yoakam (not Canadian).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, now I started cheating and looked up lists of Canadian musicians. Quite a few familiar names, some I forgot were Canadian, some I never knew were.

This is a group my brother introduced me to. They have a few original songs but do a ton of covers. They use instruments sometimes but mostly a capella. Their videos are usually pretty fun.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not the song from "Frozen."

Dragonette are great! This is my favorite song of theirs, too. I forgot they were Canadian.

By the way, I think it's still cool to like Shania Twain. Uncool people don't do guest spots on Broad City.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Here's an 80's gem I'd completely forgotten about.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm not gonna post songs by either, but I don't think Rush or Nickleback have showed up yet have they?

This singer was really popular for a while, then had quite a bit of backlash. Looking back on it I still think some of her songs are fun. I get a bit nostalgic for the 90's, my college and early adult years.

edited--w/ the blonde hair and fauxhawk she's a dead ringer for actress Kristen Bell

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Oh yea, I forget, Triumph. My sister-in-laws favorite song.

Magic Power - Triumph

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
And a DOH moment for me. One of my favorite bands; they're largely viewed as a California band, but were originally a Canadian band.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don't remember Kate and Anna Mcgarrigle mentioned. Here's one with an all-star cast from the Transatlantic Sessions:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
From the Shadows and Light Tour, Joni Mitchell doing "Coyote" with Pat Metheny and Jaco Pastorious:

One of my favorites of hers. Jaco Pastorius was such an amazing musician, gone way too young. It was Larry Carlton on the guitar rather than Pat Metheny. I think he must have given her lessons, as she was playing electric by her next album.

Reaction Score
One of my favorites of hers. Jaco Pastorius was such an amazing musician, gone way too young. It was Larry Carlton on the guitar rather than Pat Metheny. I think he must have given her lessons, as she was playing electric by her next album.

That's Pat Metheny on guitar in this video, maybe Larry was playing on the other tour nights...? I don' t know...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
That's Pat Metheny on guitar in this video, maybe Larry was playing on the other tour nights...? I don' t know...
Oops! my bad -- I was thinking of on the original album (Hejira). You't think I'd recognize Pat Metheny having seen him a couple of times. :oops:

Edit -- I have to correct myself again. I just looked at the liner notes, and Joni plays all the guitars on "Coyote" on Hejira. Larry only plays on about half the cuts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's been a nostalgic trip for me to wade through this thread! Loreena McKennit - major flashback to my dreamy preteen years. Metric & Grimes - my 20s and early 30s. Thank you all for your appreciation of my country's various music scenes.

It seems there are lots of folk lovers in here, and I don't think I've seen any Ian & Sylvia yet. Many of you probably know Four Strong Winds and Someday Soon, but this cover of theirs was always my particular favourite:

Reaction Score
& has anyone posted the Arcade Fire yet? Here's a throwback to their first album - I remember going to the release show, which was in a Montreal church in, oh, 2003 or 2004 (I'm getting OLD!)...

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Some country twang from north of the border. She was fairly big during the 90s when I was briefly paying attention to mainstream country music.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Joan Shelley. Singer/Songwriter from Montreal I believe. I saw her in Boston recently. Nice coffee house vibe.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
You cant have the Canadian National Anthem without a version by Roger Doucet

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member