OT - Not sure how I'm still here. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Not sure how I'm still here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have you thought that maybe you did die and all of this isn't real? You're just wandering around in limbo across some alternate universe like The Matrix? Think about that one.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
That sounds like a pretty petrifying experience. I'm glad you're still here to tell us about it.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a 9/11 angel was looking out for you. Glad you're both okay...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Have you thought that maybe you did die and all of this isn't real? You're just wandering around in limbo across some alternate universe like The Matrix? Think about that one.
I think some of us get that feeling clicking on the Boneyard!

Reaction Score
Crazy!!!!! Glad you made it, as someone I once knew always said, "Nothing good happens at 2 am".

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Very unnerving experience this evening. My wife was behind the wheel westbound on 34, about a mile from home, about 9PM. We crossed the Stevenson Dam and as we went past the Monroe boat ramp, a fast approaching car swerved over the centerline and was suddenly coming straight at us at a high rate of speed, on our side of the road.

I can't think of a worse place to have that happen...there is just no place to escape on that road.

I'm glad she drives like Evel Knieval and I'm glad you're both safe and sound.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The-Sixth-Sense-image-the-sixth-sense-36136395-640-352.jpg

"I see dead posts."

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Phew! That'll readjust your perspective.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
From my own similar experience, you may find that your next few trips on that stretch of road feel funny, either physically, emotionally, or both. Consider driving through (and even stopping a bit) during a mild day at a time when you can let it in calmly. Your mileage may vary, but I found it helpful. Grateful to be able to keep reading your posts.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I can't think of a worse place to have that happen...there is just no place to escape on that road.

I pretty much can't get anywhere without driving 34. The famously dangerous part is called the Pink House Cove stretch. Just east of that cove on the Housy, there's a curve with no shoulder on either side. Vertical retaining wall on one side, and a steep rip-rap drop into the river on the other side. Absolutely zero room for error, and many drivers' reaction is to drive toward the center of the road. On a curve. Typical CT road design.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
From my own similar experience, you may find that your next few trips on that stretch of road feel funny, either physically, emotionally, or both. Consider driving through (and even stopping a bit) during a mild day at a time when you can let it in calmly. Your mileage may vary, but I found it helpful. Grateful to be able to keep reading your posts.

I've got no choice in the matter. I have to drive that stretch of road at east once a day, to go to the gym. Most days, I'm up and down 34 in one direction or another 3 or 4 times.

But so far, both of us still feel uneasy just driving down any road.

Reaction Score
Not preaching here, because I've done my share of unsafe driving after drinking, but we're way too lenient on Drunk Driving in this country. In my jurisdiction, I've seen people on their 4th DUI walking without any jail time. It's a cultural thing. For some reason, it's just not considered serious unless somebody gets severely injured. Saw a guy on 2nd DUI who T-Boned a pregnant woman. Got house arrest and probation.
So not many people think about it until tragedy occurs, then everybody wonders why the laws are what they are.
If you blow over some number (.1, for example), it should be a mandatory 30 days in jail for 1st offense. 2nd offense should be 6 months, and 3rd offense should be a year, and you lose your license for 5 years. Another problem is people driving while suspended. Saw a guy here that was on his 6th DWS and he didn't do a day of jail.
In the end, our cultural permissiveness with DUI results in a lot of tragedy. Getting off my soap box here - just saying that a lot of this tragedy is preventable, and we will all still be able to have a good time - we'll just need to readjust our perspective. A few stories about cousin so-and-so and neighbor such-and-such doing real time for a DUI would have made an impact on me, and no doubt that spending a month in the slammer/big house/hoosegow/pokey would motivate most people to never risk it again.

Reaction Score
I've got no choice in the matter. I have to drive that stretch of road at east once a day, to go to the gym. Most days, I'm up and down 34 in one direction or another 3 or 4 times.

But so far, both of us still feel uneasy just driving down any road.
Rich I like to think of this experience as a wake up call. Meaning life changing and soul searching. Its not death that scares me, its a life of pain, paralysis, self pity, and disability, hindering my quality of life.

The only problem is that time is the ultimate 'forgettor' (I know its not a word). So continuing to drive Route 34 is not a bad thing, its actually beneficial, as you will always be reflecting and hopefully counting your blessings daily. Who knows tomorrow may be eliminated from your vocabulary, which is a good thing; to live in the moment.

Not to get preachy, but by posting this you have helped me, as I too often take things for granted (including wife/family and friends).

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Not preaching here, because I've done my share of unsafe driving after drinking, but we're way too lenient on Drunk Driving in this country. In my jurisdiction, I've seen people on their 4th DUI walking without any jail time. It's a cultural thing. For some reason, it's just not considered serious unless somebody gets severely injured. Saw a guy on 2nd DUI who T-Boned a pregnant woman. Got house arrest and probation.
So not many people think about it until tragedy occurs, then everybody wonders why the laws are what they are.
If you blow over some number (.1, for example), it should be a mandatory 30 days in jail for 1st offense. 2nd offense should be 6 months, and 3rd offense should be a year, and you lose your license for 5 years. Another problem is people driving while suspended. Saw a guy here that was on his 6th DWS and he didn't do a day of jail.
In the end, our cultural permissiveness with DUI results in a lot of tragedy. Getting off my soap box here - just saying that a lot of this tragedy is preventable, and we will all still be able to have a good time - we'll just need to readjust our perspective. A few stories about cousin so-and-so and neighbor such-and-such doing real time for a DUI would have made an impact on me, and no doubt that spending a month in the slammer/big house/hoosegow/pokey would motivate most people to never risk it again.

I was never much of a drinker -- a few beers when I was out with the guys would be a lot for me, and about 35 years ago, knowing how much even the little I did drink bothered my wife (her father, 2 brothers and brother-in-law were all major alcoholics) I just stopped. Didn't drink enough to start with to even miss it when I stopped. Other than a toast at a wedding or three, I haven't had a drink since. My wife has never had one. To have a drunk almost take us out the other night is just wrong.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Seems the Civic did pretty well for a head-on collision with a pick-up. They do make cars a lot safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom