OT - Not sure how I'm still here. | The Boneyard

OT - Not sure how I'm still here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Very unnerving experience this evening. My wife was behind the wheel westbound on 34, about a mile from home, about 9PM. We crossed the Stevenson Dam and as we went past the Monroe boat ramp, a fast approaching car swerved over the centerline and was suddenly coming straight at us at a high rate of speed, on our side of the road.

As fast as he was coming, my first thought was that there was no way we were not about to be involved in a head on collision. But somehow Terry swung into the other lane and the other car just shot by us on the wrong side, inches from my door. Not only did we not get hit head on, but we completely avoided any contact.

For me, the scariest part is that I know my foot would have instinctively gone to the brake pedal, at least for an instant, which in retrospect would likely have made it impossible to avoid the collision.

Considering how fast the other car was going, it seemed like forever before we heard what we assume was him hitting something. We pulled over and called 911. By the time I got off the phone with them, a half-dozen or more cars had stopped and there was nothing a couple old folks could do to help.

I have no idea how Terry avoided the collision. Neither does she. I mean I know that she swerved out of the way and neatly back into our lane again. But I have a pretty good understanding of physics, inertia and the handling characteristics of her 9 year old HHR. I just don't see how what she did was even possible.

I know I'll never rag her about her driving again.

We're just very thankful to both still be alive.

But it's 2AM and we're both still wide awake.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I currently have indigestion. While it might not compare to a near death experience, it's making sleep difficult for me as well. Thought I'd share.

Good to hear you are still alive Rich. Now go fishing.

Reaction Score
When I was younger, I had a similar incident on 95. To this day I have no idea how I got the car through the space. My friends told me there was a one to two inch clearance on each side of the car. I felt that something took the wheel for me. Glad you are ok.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Hope your heart rate has slowed down to normal. Kudos to your wife for "clutchiness" and mental toughness. Wow, that must have been a few moments from hell. Yikes!

Reaction Score
Very unnerving experience this evening. My wife was behind the wheel westbound on 34, about a mile from home, about 9PM. We crossed the Stevenson Dam and as we went past the Monroe boat ramp, a fast approaching car swerved over the centerline and was suddenly coming straight at us at a high rate of speed, on our side of the road.

As fast as he was coming, my first thought was that there was no way we were not about to be involved in a head on collision. But somehow Terry swung into the other lane and the other car just shot by us on the wrong side, inches from my door. Not only did we not get hit head on, but we completely avoided any contact.

For me, the scariest part is that I know my foot would have instinctively gone to the brake pedal, at least for an instant, which in retrospect would likely have made it impossible to avoid the collision.

Considering how fast the other car was going, it seemed like forever before we heard what we assume was him hitting something. We pulled over and called 911. By the time I got off the phone with them, a half-dozen or more cars had stopped and there was nothing a couple old folks could do to help.

I have no idea how Terry avoided the collision. Neither does she. I mean I know that she swerved out of the way and neatly back into our lane again. But I have a pretty good understanding of physics, inertia and the handling characteristics of her 9 year old HHR. I just don't see how what she did was even possible.

Glad your okay. I guess your wife literally owns you now. But hell. a lifetime of indebtness (think grocery shopping, laundry, watching corny movies, etc.) is better than last night's alternative.

Amazing how our lives can change in an instant.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Wow crazy. Glad you are okay. I wonder what the fate of the other driver is ...

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It is instances like this (and I have had a few) that make me realize there is a God and angels.
I do believe He watches over us. Glad you are both safe and sound and lived to tell the tale.

Reaction Score

Wow. Glad you made it! Too good a hoops season coming up for you to miss it. Very glad you and the wife are alright!

Reaction Score
Wow! That definitely fits the criteria for a harrowing experience.
Glad you & your wife are OK.

Celebrate a little (or a lot!) this weekend.

Reaction Score
Glad you two are OK. It's the close calls like these that remind us just how fast everything can change.

Now on the lighter side, go get some redemption on those Lakeville Largies that kicked your butt the other day. And be sure to post some close-ups of the Big Jig. I'm still trying to figure out how many strands you've got on that skirt.

Cheers!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

It is instances like this (and I have had a few) that make me realize there is a God and angels.
I do believe He watches over us. Glad you are both safe and sound and lived to tell the tale.

Very happy you and your wife are ok! Had my own experience with a head on collision. Not surprising you couldn't sleep! It may take a little while before you can relax when driving or stop having "nightmares" about what could have happened.

Down the road (awful pun) you may decide to think about this situation differently and conclude that the "impossible" has a rational explanation. And maybe there is one. However it is also possible that your gut reaction to the experience has some credibility. I've had experiences that defy rational thinking. In fact the car accident I experienced was one of them. I'm a scientist by nature. So I'm always looking for answers to problems. I've come to the conclusion that it wouldn't be scientific of me to exclude any possible explanation. If your interested I'll be happy to share my experience.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Monroe and unfortunately it doesn't surprise me that there was someone driving like a crazy in that area. Glad you guys are alright.

Reaction Score
It is a life experience that if put in perspective after surviving can change you forever. It will help you during difficult times in your life IF you can reflect back on this experience and realize....what could have been. It is humane nature for some after time passes to deprioritize these types of traumatic events. Fluedy seems to have some great insight.

Since I spend time here regularly...it is my hope everyone here stays safe and healthy (despite any differing opinions). Glad you are ok.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Sweet Jesus glad you are still here. Praise Mrs. Z!!

And while posting at 2AM what are the odds you are telling us this harrowing tale before your immediate family? That is true Boneyardism.

Reaction Score
Wow Rich, I am glad that you and your wife are ok! I live one town over in Trumbull and know that area. Awesome driving skills by your wife and perhaps some divine intervention. :)

Reaction Score
Very scary. I've had a couple of similar things happen to me in the car where you can feel the nerve endings on the back of your neck and in your toes tingling you're so freaked out. Glad to hear you are both ok and big kudos to Mrs. Z's driving skills for sure!

Reaction Score
Wow! That definitely fits the criteria for a harrowing experience.
Glad you & your wife are OK.

Celebrate a little (or a lot!) this weekend everyday.

Fixed for Rich Z (its a life changer, if never forgotten).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Glad to hear that you are okay, and my props to the Mrs. Now that you've had a chance to rest, you may want to go out and buy this:

hgupholsterycleaner-r.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky