OT - no CBB so I'm back to one of my other obsessions | The Boneyard

OT - no CBB so I'm back to one of my other obsessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
This week I managed to get up a new hummingbird feeder. They may be cute but unfortunately aren't as colorful as their southern cousins :(

20140803-XO0J0074.jpg

Whoa! anyone know why the image came out so dark???

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Beautiful pic. We don't have a feeder but do have hummingbirds - in fact, earlier in the year, I saw one trying to get nectar? from a metal sculpture. Also saw a nest on one of our trees, with a bird sitting on top of it. I'm not a photographer however.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I love birds but feeding them in my neighborhood leads to all type of rodents (gophers, groundhogs, woodchucks or whatever they are)

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Thanks for the comments but the image didn't reproduce well here at all :(

Its waaay too dark - The bottle is a rich red color & the background is green

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
ctfjr said:
This week I managed to get up a new hummingbird feeder. They may be cute but unfortunately aren't as colorful as their southern cousins :(

I had a face to feather encounter with a hummingbird this weekend. I have seen many but never this close. I was surprised at how loud and how low the pitch is of their wings. We had a nice long look at each other, then before I thought to reach for my camera, the bird was off again!

I love watching the birds as some can now attest. Before I moved to the city I had feeders and suet outside my condo sliders, giving me a large screen look at the Connecticut bird world - coupled with a few squirrels of course. There are squirrel-proof feeders, but I didn't own one.

Sadly, my attmpt with a hummingbird feeder yielded only evil looking wasps - the little birds preferred my flowers

I did try to feed birds once I moved to the city, however anytime I put out food, it would be beset with large ravenous birds and completely gone within an hour. Also, being a newbie to the reality of the city at the time, I was advised by a neighbor that my charity would attract less desirable members of the rodent family, namely rats and mice, so I stopped. :(

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Dramatically the photo is awesome. It is reductionist in its elegance.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
lmao

That's another example of why I have no 'eye'. To me it looks a lot better lighter :)

Reaction Score
I agree with Icebear. You stopped a hummingbird in mid flight (with no blurring) and
the dark colors (including the feeder) make your photo even that much more dramatic.

Please don't mess with it. It's a great photograph, exactly as it is now.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I agree - great photo of a female hummingbird.

We have a couple of feeders on our deck. Now that this year's young have hatched we have a hummingbird swarm of a dozen birds or more around the feeders every evening.

They are one of the most aggressive bird species I know. My wife and I enjoy watching the hummingbird wars while we have dinner. Unfortunately, some of the aggressiveness can be fatal. So far this year I've picked up a couple of dead birds off the deck - one from a collision with it's reflection in our patio door and one from a mid air with another male.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

View attachment 6464

wow - now that I am back on my computer and am able to see the image clearly, I must say - what's wrong with it? I think that it is a beautiful photograph!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

yet the bird is lit perfectly...I like it.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

Well I brightened it a little and it does look good but I also agree with everyone else. The original is wonderful as composed.

ctfjr_hummingbird.jpg

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Too much backlight?

lol

just the opposite :) I shot this yesterday. It was overcast and the background was the woods - dark green leaves.

Biff the original I was working with in Photoshop shows a creamy green background going from very dark green at the top to dark green at the bottom. The bottle is ruby red. I also remove the masking tap shown in this image. The feeder has 4 'flowers'. I taped over 2 of them so the birds would have to come to the front.

All that said I had Costco make some 8x12's & they look the same. I just framed one & I have to admit everyone was right - it looks really good framed :)

for those interested: 1DS2 tripod mounted at 1600 iso, 300mm f2.8 at f5.6, 1/1000

20140803-XO0J0074_edited.jpg

Reaction Score
lol

for those interested: 1DS2 tripod mounted at 1600 iso, 300mm f2.8 at f5.6, 1/1000

View attachment 6471

1/1000 @ f5.6? No wonder. Great Shot, esp. for overcast! Cannon has come a long, long way, baby!

But why 300mm? How far away were you?

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
1/1000 @ f5.6? No wonder. Great Shot, esp. for overcast! Cannon has come a long, long way, baby!

But why 300mm? How far away were you?

ya have to 'fill the frame :) '
12-14 feet

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
ctfjr - birding is one of my obsessions (mini), too! It's a measure of how ridiculously busy I have been this year that I've done little, if any, birding this season. Did do the annual trip to Bear Mtn./Doodletown for the Cerulean. Bliss!

Hoping to catch a glimpse of a Limpkin in Tampa. That would be a lifer.
Limpkin-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr