OT: NIL money | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: NIL money

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It's really insane and more of a problem at the P5 level because they are fighting for the top recruits. It's just wild to hear Saban and Kiffin ramble on about the lack and need for regulation of NIL. Saban does admit his program benefits, but because he is slowly losing recruits, he is now against the lack of regulation. Please....

The biggest way this will impact G5 schools is when a player blows up and has a great season. They will go into the portal to see what kind of money they can make. UConn just can't match a P5 that's willing to pay. You saw it with Reggie Crawford for UConn baseball. It's basically free agency and UConn can't afford to keep a player who has an amazing season. This is why it's so key to have solid recruiting classes with depth.

Reaction Score
I've heard said that a degree from many SEC schools is worthless. Anyone else heard that or something similar? We know a degree from Vanderbilt isn't worthless though, right? So, shouldn't they benefit from NIL? All those great paying jobs at some point should be funnelling money back to student athletes, helping to recruit the best to play for Vandy. They'll be winning championships in no time. Or is this all much ado about nothing.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I truly expect the power schools to break away from the NCAA at some point in the near future. Just too much money that those schools want to control

Reaction Score
It's really insane and more of a problem at the P5 level because they are fighting for the top recruits. It's just wild to hear Saban and Kiffin ramble on about the lack and need for regulation of NIL. Saban does admit his program benefits, but because he is slowly losing recruits, he is now against the lack of regulation. Please....

The biggest way this will impact G5 schools is when a player blows up and has a great season. They will go into the portal to see what kind of money they can make. UConn just can't match a P5 that's willing to pay. You saw it with Reggie Crawford for UConn baseball. It's basically free agency and UConn can't afford to keep a player who has an amazing season. This is why it's so key to have solid recruiting classes with depth.
It’s an abomination. A total affront to amateurism and higher education (i.e., the real reason these institutions exist ) .

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It’s an abomination. A total affront to amateurism and higher education (i.e., the real reason these institutions exist ) .
I agree but this is college sports in 2022

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here is the thing. People have short memories. The whole money connector between “brands” and athletes coupled with a ton of easy access to sports books with massive dollar flows is like a match to gasoline. Don’t think for a hot second point saving and game fixing isn’t following right behind this. Frigging adults that are trusted to teach the next generation instead chase $$ and feed corruption.
I don't see the connecion. I would think more money in players' hands would make it tougher to buy a kid off.

Reaction Score
How would this work? Schools can’t pay for NIL.

For what it’s worth, I know of at least one guy on the board who is setting up NILs for people, but it is all happening privately, albeit with some coordination with the school.

The schools can broker or provide guidance, yes?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The schools can broker or provide guidance, yes?
Yes, but they can’t collect and redistribute money, at least as far as I am aware.

Reaction Score
How far has this gone?
Let's say I have a friend who's willing to pay $10M per year to the best QB prospect in the country if he agrees to enroll at UConn, play for 3 years, and make 10 commercials for his business. Would my friend be allowed to announce it "publicly"?
Would the QB be allowed to accept the arrangement publicly, e.g., "Thank you Mr X for your $30M commitment to me. I look forward to making UConn competitive again and making Brand X the best selling widgets in the nation."

Reaction Score
Yes, but they can’t collect and redistribute money, at least as far as I am aware.
It's probably the boosters asking. The school forces you to donate to the boosters when you buy season tickets. The boosters are a separate 501c that pays for schollys and donates facilities to UF. The boosters could be asking for the money in addition to the mandated donations and it may not directly be the school.

Reaction Score
How far has this gone?
Let's say I have a friend who's willing to pay $10M per year to the best QB prospect in the country if he agrees to enroll at UConn, play for 3 years, and make 10 commercials for his business. Would my friend be allowed to announce it "publicly"?
Would the QB be allowed to accept the arrangement publicly, e.g., "Thank you Mr X for your $30M commitment to me. I look forward to making UConn competitive again and making Brand X the best selling widgets in the nation."
Sure and he's allowed one 3x3 company patch on his uniform

Reaction Score
I don't see the connecion. I would think more money in players' hands would make it tougher to buy a kid off
It takes zero effort to create a series of front business organizations funneling dollars to kids along with friendly visits from a few folks. Get them hooked up early, and then escalate amount in subsequent seasons if they cooperate. Standard racketeering. Gonna happen.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Going back to what I said about Kiffin complaining, he made one good argument. He said that without any control, the coaches have to worry that these outside sources are giving these kids money and promising them fame. Yet what happens if the coach doesn't play them? The coach never said they'd play the kid, the person(s) dishing out the hundreds of thousands did. I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet, but you know it's coming.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom