OT: NIL money | The Boneyard

OT: NIL money

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
When I was on vacation I talked to a guy from Florida who is a season ticket holder for all Florida football games. He and other ticket holders where asked to give another $60 dollars per season ticket for NIL's They were told they needed to do this to keep up with Alabama's, Texas's, Ohio St, and others.

I will say I would pay extra to do this for football through not sure how much UConn would collect but I guess any amount would help.

Reaction Score
I don't know if that's really necessary at the G5 level... we had D'Ameilio help us get Dayne Shor (not sure if that was a financially motivated decision or not, but Marc played a role) but I don't see NIL being used to get recruits at our level of football.

Reaction Score
Was talking to a guy plugged in at the top of a southern university who says the NIL schemes are out of control with alumni just dumping millions into specious arrangements. SMU athletics were sanctioned nearly out of existence for the same crap going on now. Like all cancers, corruption and greed find a way in. Barn door is wide open. Pathetic.

Reaction Score
3EA044F3-1FFB-45C4-BF87-6786B4816832.jpeg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When I was on vacation I talked to a guy from Florida who is a season ticket holder for all Florida football games. He and other ticket holders where asked to give another $60 dollars per season ticket for NIL's They were told they needed to do this to keep up with Alabama's, Texas's, Ohio St, and others.
How would this work? Schools can’t pay for NIL.

For what it’s worth, I know of at least one guy on the board who is setting up NILs for people, but it is all happening privately, albeit with some coordination with the school.

Reaction Score
On his podcast with Bobby Wilson, Nigel Fitzgerald listed several (5-6?) NILs he was involved with. Nigel's a great pick up but not 5⭐ so I was glad to hear other players are at least getting some NIL action.

Reaction Score
On his podcast with Bobby Wilson, Nigel Fitzgerald listed several (5-6?) NILs he was involved with. Nigel's a great pick up but not 5⭐ so I was glad to hear other players are at least getting some NIL action.

I'd imagine that as much as some of these kids are hustling to build their brand and make some money, there are going to be companies doing the same. Get some lower level college athletes to represent us as we build the brand so that we can get the big time kids in the future.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I was surprised to hear that. I had assumed it was only high profile players.

I loved his comments about it...he said he wouldn't chase it, but if it happens it happens.

Reaction Score
I was surprised to hear that. I had assumed it was only high profile players.

I loved his comments about it...he said he wouldn't chase it, but if it happens it happens.
Yeah, I liked his comments too. What clearly came through is that football is his top priority.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't know if that's really necessary at the G5 level... we had D'Ameilio help us get Dayne Shor (not sure if that was a financially motivated decision or not, but Marc played a role) but I don't see NIL being used to get recruits at our level of football.

It will, just not at the amounts for the P5, P2, whatever.

Perks of any kind will still sway recruits no matter the level.

In 3-4 years you'll know who is paying and who isn't. Heck, it is the only chance the B12 has of remaining relevant nationally.

Reaction Score
Let me get this straight. Schools are allowed to pay NIL money directly????

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score
They all get NIL action but i’m saying that NIL being used to recruit players is not as practiced at this level.

Reaction Score
There is a HUGE difference between the NIL money not coming from schools and coming directly from schools. The latter is functionally no different from being paid as a gig worker and if the player trains all year round like they do, they will have to get social security and savings plans. Also, the minimum wage will come into play for a lot of them given the number of hours they have to put in. They will be nothing more than employees.

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score
How would this work? Schools can’t pay for NIL.

For what it’s worth, I know of at least one guy on the board who is setting up NILs for people, but it is all happening privately, albeit with some coordination with the school.
the schools “help” educate the kids on NIL opportunities. It’s a big ephing scam. Alumni pool their money behind a few brands like the local shake shack and presto magically everything is on the up and up.

Reaction Score
I mean it's pretty clear the big schools don't want to be limited by NCAA "rules". They want to make their own rules given all the money they're coming into. Whatever rules in place at the moment means zero to where they want to take this.

Reaction Score
I mean it's pretty clear the big schools don't want to be limited by NCAA "rules". They want to make their own rules given all the money they're coming into. Whatever rules in place at the moment means zero to where they want to take this.
Here is the thing. People have short memories. The whole money connector between “brands” and athletes coupled with a ton of easy access to sports books with massive dollar flows is like a match to gasoline. Don’t think for a hot second point saving and game fixing isn’t following right behind this. Frigging adults that are trusted to teach the next generation instead chase $$ and feed corruption.

Reaction Score
Funny how people are suddenly opening up about how the big teams have broken the rules and gamed the system for so long. Hearing them all the time on ESPNU talking about how they knew about so many corrupt practices. The NCAA could staved off NIL for another decade or two by taking some basic steps earlier. Increased stipends, family travel, medical plans and trust funds paid upon graduation. What we have now has the potential to at least shake things up if not make them more above board. With that, Coaches will have more to manage and young athletes will have resources and notoriety some won't be able to handle.

I really don't think we have to go headlong into the arms race but putting structures in place and building gradually could help us avoid some horror stories we already see happening. Doing this the right way, in the long run might make schools like UConn an attractive option for parents to send their kids. And for those that love to dump on CT as a matter of geography, weather, economics or politics it seems like more people are coming around to recognizing things are pretty good comparatively to a number of other locations. Our recent football struggles have exacerbated people's insecurity about a lot of things that are quickly marginalized by winning.

Reaction Score
Here is the thing. People have short memories. The whole money connector between “brands” and athletes coupled with a ton of easy access to sports books with massive dollar flows is like a match to gasoline. Don’t think for a hot second point saving and game fixing isn’t following right behind this. Frigging adults that are trusted to teach the next generation instead chase $$ and feed corruption.
Yeah kids will go to jail cause point shaving is a crime, the power brokers will keep cashing checks until the whole thing collapses.

CL82

Reaction Score
the schools “help” educate the kids on NIL opportunities. It’s a big ephing scam. Alumni pool their money behind a few brands like the local shake shack and presto magically everything is on the up and up.
Sure, but the school can’t collect money and then dispense it to the kids. It sounded like that’s what the poster was talking about.

Reaction Score
Sure, but the school can’t collect money and then dispense it to the kids. It sounded like that’s what the poster was talking about.
That’s right.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
My guess is that it's filtered through a step or two to obscure what's really going on. The school asks for a donations from season ticket holders and those end up going into some kind of alumni pool or donation fund which goes to someone else which eventually goes to the players. Something like that. But yeah, these SEC schools are probably just going to skirt around the NCAA rules. What's the NCAA going to do? If they crack down on it too much, those schools will just break off and form their own thing.

CL82

Reaction Score
My guess is that it's filtered through a step or two to obscure what's really going on. The school asks for a donations from season ticket holders and those end up going into some kind of alumni pool or donation fund which goes to someone else which eventually goes to the players. Something like that. But yeah, these SEC schools are probably just going to skirt around the NCAA rules. What's the NCAA going to do? If they crack down on it too much, those schools will just break off and form their own thing.
It seems too transparent. Why not have an independent collective just recieve the money directly and avoid any of the schools fingerprints on it entirely.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom