OT NFL Bad Calls (Bucs vs Falcons) | The Boneyard

OT NFL Bad Calls (Bucs vs Falcons)

Reaction Score
Watching the Bucs/Falcons game. A few minutes left and Falcons trying to comeback from being down 21-0. The game is 21-15 and Bardy throws a deep ball down the sideline. The Bucs receiver is clearly hit early. I mean as pretty obvious as it gets. He still catches it at his hip, but because of the contact is now out of bounds and it is ruled an incomplete pass. Darly Johnston says it was early contact and surprised it's not called, but not much is made of it.
The next play Brady is sacked and a bad roughing the passer call is made that prevents the Bucs D getting off the field and giving the offense a chance. I know there are suppose to be no such thing, but it came off as a makeup call.

What I can't stand it that they announcers dwell on the second call, which yes, assured the win to Tampa Bay. But if the PI call is made correctly, the Bucs would have run the clock out anyways. I just don't get all the bluster one way. I get announcers want a game to come down to the last play, but the result here was what it should have been.

Reaction Score
Watching the Bucs/Falcons game. A few minutes left and Falcons trying to comeback from being down 21-0. The game is 21-15 and Bardy throws a deep ball down the sideline. The Bucs receiver is clearly hit early. I mean as pretty obvious as it gets. He still catches it at his hip, but because of the contact is now out of bounds and it is ruled an incomplete pass. Darly Johnston says it was early contact and surprised it's not called, but not much is made of it.
The next play Brady is sacked and a bad roughing the passer call is made that prevents the Bucs D getting off the field and giving the offense a chance. I know there are suppose to be no such thing, but it came off as a makeup call.

What I can't stand it that they announcers dwell on the second call, which yes, assured the win to Tampa Bay. But if the PI call is made correctly, the Bucs would have run the clock out anyways. I just don't get all the bluster one way. I get announcers want a game to come down to the last play, but the result here was what it should have been.
The holding call that kept the Bucs drive alive was horrible, then there was the pass interference but the roughing the passer call to keep the drive alive and end the game was the worst roughing the passer call in the history of the sport.

The league needs to come out and say something about it, that was sickening. You can't have a player get that kind of treatment at the expense of everyone else just because he's an old legend.

Reaction Score
The holding call that kept the Bucs drive alive was horrible, then there was the pass interference but the roughing the passer call to keep the drive alive and end the game was the worst roughing the passer call in the history of the sport.

The league needs to come out and say something about it, that was sickening. You can't have a player get that kind of treatment at the expense of everyone else just because he's an old legend.
Ridiculous call

Reaction Score
Brady tried to kick/trip the player when the tackler was getting up. No call there (i.e. unsportsmanlike).

Almost like a "how dare you do that to me" response.

Reaction Score
There were a lot of no calls that the Bucs got away with, plenty of O Line holding calls that were obvious on replays.

That roughing the passer on Grady was absolutely absurd. It was clearly a clean sack with no intention on harming the qb.

That call changed the dynamics of the game. It was a 3rd down play which would have resulted in 4th and long with enough time for the Falcons to have a shot at a comeback.

It was disgusting. For the refs to take control of a game that had a lot on the line.

I'm sure they will apologize to the Falcons and say they got the call wrong, but as a fan it's not good enough.

Disgusting

Reaction Score
There was one in the Chargers/Browns game too. Jacoby Brisset threw a pass and the defensive lineman literally just nudged him. Brisset jumped back like a Dook player taking a “charge”. The refs threw the flag and the Browns ended up with a first down and scored a TD within two more plays.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile Pitts rookie gets smacked while sliding & no call

Reaction Score
Seems maybe the NFL told the refs to be more stringent on hits on QBs. Check this one out. Goff with the Kemba/Shabazz like head snap back to get the call. Pretty weak. Probably not what the NFL intended when the rule was passed.

Reaction Score
After Tua got hurt they told the refs to tighten it up with QBs getting hit.

Reaction Score
Seems maybe the NFL told the refs to be more stringent on hits on QBs. Check this one out. Goff with the Kemba/Shabazz like head snap back to get the call. Pretty weak. Probably not what the NFL intended when the rule was passed.

If you slow it down, you can see the defender’s helmet hit Goff’s chin. That’s why they called it. Just have to keep your head up. Did seem pretty weak though.

Reaction Score
Stafford just took a shot after the pass with no flag. The one on Goff is helmet to helmet which is almost always called and is against the rules even if it's weak.

Reaction Score
Stafford just took a shot after the pass with no flag. The one on Goff is helmet to helmet which is almost always called and is against the rules even if it's weak.
I don’t know what the deal was with the Brady hit. Looked fine to me but Tom immediately reacted as if he thought it was roughing. Not sure what the rule is now, but that was a lame call from my perspective. Clear make up call was my initial thought.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what the deal was with the Brady hit. Looked fine to me but Tom immediately reacted as if he thought it was roughing. Not sure what the rule is now, but that was a lame call from my perspective. Clear make up call was my initial thought.
Wow, just wow...

Tom Pelissero on Twitter: "Referee Jerome Boger told pool reporter @gregauman that the roughing the passer penalty on #Falcons DT Grady Jarrett was for “unnecessarily throwing (Tom Brady) to the ground.” https://post original url/rqxyNzjd6I" / Twitter

Reaction Score
Lol. That’s crazy. It was a makeup call.

It might have been a make up call for the no call Scottie Miller pass interference, but the holding call on AJ before that call was just as questionable.

Goodwin was within 5 yards on his release and AJ jammed him and released with the allowed 5 yards. That call further extended the game and was at the 5 minute marl on a 3rd down play.

I actually watched most of that game and there were a lot of no holding calls on Tampa O Linemen.

The NFL needs to clean up these terrible calls that affect outcomes late in the game

Reaction Score
If you slow it down, you can see the defender’s helmet hit Goff’s chin. That’s why they called it. Just have to keep your head up. Did seem pretty weak though.
I did the same thing a few times and blew it up to full screen and couldn't see any contact. Seems the slight force to Goff's chest caused his head to move and that's why the refs called it. Watch at the exact moment Goff's head goes back. The defender's helmet isn't touching Goff's helmet. Tough call but I guess I can see why the ref called it.

Either way if you're on defense you're in a no win situation with QBs. The league is trying to protect QBs and almost every rule change the last few years favors the offense, so it's tough to play defense these days.

Reaction Score
Wow, just wow...

Tom Pelissero on Twitter: "Referee Jerome Boger told pool reporter @gregauman that the roughing the passer penalty on #Falcons DT Grady Jarrett was for “unnecessarily throwing (Tom Brady) to the ground.” https://post original url/rqxyNzjd6I" / Twitter

He wasn’t thrown to the ground. According to everyone but Boger.

Reaction Score
I did the same thing a few times and blew it up to full screen and couldn't see any contact. Seems the slight force to Goff's chest caused his head to move and that's why the refs called it. Watch at the exact moment Goff's head goes back. The defender's helmet isn't touching Goff's helmet. Tough call but I guess I can see why the ref called it.

Either way if you're on defense you're in a no win situation with QBs. The league is trying to protect QBs and almost every rule change the last few years favors the offense, so it's tough to play defense these days.
Helmet to chin.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Actually the point of the helmet hit the faceguard

Reaction Score
It's going to be super subjective now, especially with the new protocols in place. Teddy Bridgewater was made to leave the game and not allowed to return even after being completely cleared and showing zero signs of anything. I feel like this may end up just being a QB thing, because in any game you will see lots of plays where there is contact at or around the head area. Doesn't explain the refs answer regarding the Brady play though. That was pretty bad officiating.

Reaction Score
The QB has a lot do of affect how they get 'thrown' to the ground. If the QB kind of accepts the sack, the squate down, roll and cover. Watching the Tua hits over again, he's straight up so his head is being swung down from a greater distance and opens himself up to the concussions. I hate when a QB is fighting to keep the play alive and the defensive player needs to use more force to take them down and are penalized for it.

Reaction Score

Sickening is a little bit melodramatic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom