OT: Newfoundland | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Newfoundland

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Go back and read to post Storrs. Then come back and see me.
Dogs running through the woods freely of any breed are a danger, to other dogs but also to domestic animals.

Seems rather unambiguous to me. Omit the "through the woods", though and you're correct.

Reaction Score
None of which are "domestic animals out in the woods". I don't disagree with your points, but it was your original assertion that there are other domestic animals in the woods that piqued my interest.
Don't Foxhounds, Beagles and Pointers spend a lot of time in the woods?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Those would fall into the "dog" category. The post in question was about non-dog domestic animals in the woods.

Reaction Score
Great info in this thread.

They eat a ton. Just be prepared to pay and get a quality brand

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Great info in this thread.

They eat a ton. Just be prepared to pay and get a quality brand

We used to pay a ton for grain-free stuff, and actually had one dog on a raw diet for awhile, but now the tide of thinking has turned to grains being OK again. We went from Canidae to Fromm's (among others) and now just doing fine with Purina Pro Plan.

Much like politics, whatever you choose, somebody will blast you for that choice. Consult with your vet. Just don't get food made in China.

Reaction Score
20200621_183929.jpg

Reaction Score
If you have a chance to get a newfi and you're ready I'd say you can't really go wrong. I've had Danes, berners, a leonberger (photo) and this is our 10 month old news Koda. He is 130 pounds already, and as big as his 4 year old brother. Things I've learned so far:
1.Super social and great with dogs, kids etc.
2. If you have elderly or otherwise unstable walkers in house, watch out.
3. Eats no more then other dogs, less active.
4. Does not do well when left alone for long periods. As I said he us very social.
5. Get a minivan. Jumping into cars or suvs is not practical and too much on the joints and hips gor these guys.
6. Train him on a leash asap, as they are massive pullers. Get a chest harness leash. Ezydog makes the best one.
7. Heat is a killer for these guys. Have good AC in house and car. They will not survive if left outside in summer. They are indoor dogs.
8. Get pet insurance. I have had good luck with trupanion.
9. They drool when excited, and its some serious drool too.
10. They love to swim, so make sure you can take them to pool, lake, sea etc. They are only truly happy in water.
11. Raised bowls for feeding a must.
12. Prone to gastric torsion so consider stomach stapling when neutering.
13. Wait at least 18 months to fix him/her. Reduces chance of dysplasia.
Thats all I can think of now. You will not be disappointed with this fantastic breed, but it helps to be prepared. Id say the best thing I ever did was get a pacifica van to cart them around in. So easy for them and you. Good luck

Reaction Score
We used to pay a ton for grain-free stuff, and actually had one dog on a raw diet for awhile, but now the tide of thinking has turned to grains being OK again. We went from Canidae to Fromm's (among others) and now just doing fine with Purina Pro Plan.

Much like politics, whatever you choose, somebody will blast you for that choice. Consult with your vet. Just don't get food made in China.
I use fromm one of my dogs had bad stomach issues on Merrick, blue buffalo, limited ingredient among others. Switched to fromm haven't had any issues since

Reaction Score
Those would fall into the "dog" category. The post in question was about non-dog domestic animals in the woods.
Farmers in Europe fatten their pigs in forest areas on acorns, and feral pigs live all over the Ozarks and southern Appalachia.

Reaction Score
Dobermans are the best dog breed hands down.. super intelligent, loyal, athletic. Will stick to you like a velcro everywhere you go. Highly recommend. Only downside is potential for genetic heart issues that are unfortunately too prevelent in the breed. Do your homework on breeders!

Reaction Score
Dobermans are the best dog breed hands down.. super intelligent, loyal, athletic. Will stick to you like a velcro everywhere you go. Highly recommend. Only downside is potential for genetic heart issues that are unfortunately too prevelent in the breed. Do your homework on breeders!
It's not widely known outside of dogdom that the Doberman Pinscher is decended from Rottweiler, Manchester Terrier, Greyhound, and Beauceron stock.

Reaction Score

They do but are not on their own but working with their owners/hunters. Beagles for rabbits, the pointer types with a bird hunter usually one on one with voice control while wearing a bell on their collar so other hunters don't mistake them for game when they are in thick cover/brush.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom