OT: New Retail at The Rent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: New Retail at The Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the state is trying to kill our program before CR can. this is a frucking football field and tailgate lot, not some pretty frucking mall setup with a fball field in the parking lot. chesus. knock the place down and lets build one on campus next to dts somewhere. then lets get a 15 k bball arena and a puck barn in there also. fruck this state and its idiot leftie leaders.

i beg to know why we can't just have nice normal things like the rest of the big boys. its just amazing how many ppl want to ruin this school over and over again so it never becomes a big boy. is cabelas a cool store? sure, but i dont frucking want it within 2 miles of my cheeseburger and tailgate.

)*@*)+$&!$+))+~)$*)~*~FUC#*#*#*$+@*$+~*$+

Every time I think your analysis can't get less rational, you prove me wrong.

Reaction Score
if we can knock all of hartford down, then we can move storrs there and uconn can be in the center of the state. i see that as a better investment then the billions for a try at aau. i mean every crack heads paper box to the office buildings. completely knock hartford down. start from scratch. if i ever get rrich, after i buy butch a hous ein colorado, im going to level that city and move uconn there becuase its leaders can't figure it out. we need 1 campus with 1 huge set up. not 15 little set ups. the whole state sytem of colleges needs to be redone becuase it was all done wrong years ago.

I admire your enthusiasm. The rent was what? 100m? The stadium you're talking about building is easily what 150m? Then tack on all the property to be bought to expand 195... Parking lots... I have no real idea, but guessing that would be 250m + easy. Where's that money gonna come from? Won't be the state. Won't be enough from private donations. I hear you about it wasn't done "right" in the first place, but again for the University to rely on huge public money. I'm sure everyone involved would have wanted to build a bigger stadium, but I think they settled on one hell of an upgrade from what we had. We have to temper enthusiasm with reality.

Reaction Score
Whenever you're ready to come back to the real world, we'll all be here waiting for you.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Every time I think your analysis can't get less rational, you prove me wrong.

Why should we listen to someone who has gone on the record to state he won't go to UCONN games next year?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I admire your enthusiasm. The rent was what? 100m? The stadium you're talking about building is easily what 150m? Then tack on all the property to be bought to expand 195... Parking lots... I have no real idea, but guessing that would be 250m + easy. Where's that money gonna come from? Won't be the state. Won't be enough from private donations. I hear you about it wasn't done "right" in the first place, but again for the University to rely on huge public money. I'm sure everyone involved would have wanted to build a bigger stadium, but I think they settled on one hell of an upgrade from what we had. We have to temper enthusiasm with reality.

why can't we spend 20mil of that couple hundred on making the rent 50-60k??? why can't that project be good for both sides? how come we cant sell naming right until 2018? whos bright idea contract wise was that??? why can't we get a redbull type company and sell the rent to them. i mean sell it. 100mil its your and u can bring a soccer team into CT to join the mls and host usa games. u give us a 10 year rent the stadium deal on stadurdays for our fball program and before thats up we will be out with a new stadium. then we will develope around that stadium for u and all that jazz. give them the option and tell them they can expand it to 50k by law or w/e. tell them we will never allow another pro sports team into the market. they can be the only one. thats the only professional sport we can have in this state that wont hurt uconn at all.

then take that 100mil, and build a on campus stadium or next to campus w/e. then move all bball games to the xl why doing this. at this point the bball pf was just opened. take the bubble off the top of gampel and for less that 5mil u can steel bean the top and put a rink it it. theres your 5-6k puck barn and its of top notch quality. by this time dts is well on its way. now u have fball games on campus and bball in hartford. the next phase is building a 15k bball arena for the future somewhere in the fball parking lot or on campus or dts. plaenty of options. all of this wa doen for the cost of around 30mil plus your orginal invenstment into fball which u go back from the soccer team then respent. by this time you fball program is in a power 5 conf and your bringing in millions int v contracts, tiket $ etc. the new brand, alum and fans on campus all the time etc. the $ is now flowing and the economy is better. build your 15k bball arena and uconn never looks back or down to anyone. we become a monster.

hell the mls doesn't want hartford, fine. there has been a lot of nascar stuff trying to get into ct and i know its not popular here but sell the rent and that property to a nascar developer. there are several ways to do it and they dont have to hurt uconn. cabelas would love that and thye have stores at other tracks. they could easily help with that. i dont know...but there are ways to do this...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The numbers being thrown around are laughably small... No offense guys.

HFD... Gotta let it go man. How do we make The Rent work where it is. Some good ideas in this thread, along with the usual "expand it". Campus football stadium is not in our lifetimes. Gampel, XL Center, Freitas are all in front of The Rent in terms of looking for a replacement. Bring campus to The Rent.

Reaction Score
Would love to see it all move to Storrs but, yeah, ain't gonna happen. If there are ways to take advantage of the acreage around the Rent, you have to do it. It will help on game days (restaurants and services, improved access and traffic patterns, etc.) and anything in general that'll boost the economy has to be considered.

Reaction Score

HFD... Gotta let it go man. How do we make The Rent work where it is. Some good ideas in this thread, along with the usual "expand it". Campus football stadium is not in our lifetimes. Gampel, XL Center, Freitas are all in front of The Rent in terms of looking for a replacement. Bring campus to The Rent.

No I specifically disclaimed any knowledge of realistic numbers. I was just throwing stuff out there. Doesn't matter anyway it is NOT happening.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Move the campus to East Hartford. (Still kidding, but not completely)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Move the campus to East Hartford. (Still kidding, but not completely)

If you are talking Hartford branch- absolutely. Anything is better than the ol Husky High in West Hartford. Storrs will always be main campus.

Reaction Score
How about fill the dozen or so empty retail places on Silver Lane first.

Reaction Score
Guys, this has been the plan for years. It was part of the original deal with UT for the Rent. It's why all the parking has been migrating east all these years.

It's a testament to the developers horrible execution that it hasn't been built yet.

This is exactly correct.

When I was working on the construction at Patriot Place (GC) back in 2006-2007, I had to find some documents on Arrowstreet's (Architect) FTP site. I came across a folder for Rentschler Field and took a look. There were a lot of architectural 3d models and sketches showing a stadium surrounded by a very large retail developement. The downturn in the economy is the only thing that has kept this construction from starting. Cabela's, like Bass Pro Shop is the anchor. As someone else said, they have been moving around parking lots for a while now, gettting ready for this development. Still love the old Purple Lot, which was my favorite.

Reaction Score
Have any of you been to Patriot Place? Gillette Stadium is a much better environment due to Patriot Place. People go to the restaurants, the Pats store, stay in the hotel before and after the game. The Pats store and Hall of Fame are year around attractions. Movie theaters are good. And, there is still plenty of room to tailgate, etc. Plus, Foxboro has many more concerts, football games, soccer games,... than the Rent. Go to Bass Pro Shop at least 2x per year.

I'm all for developing the area around the Rent.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
Have any of you been to Patriot Place? Gillette Stadium is a much better environment due to Patriot Place. People go to the restaurants, the Pats store, stay in the hotel before and after the game. The Pats store and Hall of Fame are year around attractions. Movie theaters are good. And, there is still plenty of room to tailgate, etc. Plus, Foxboro has many more concerts, football games, soccer games,... than the Rent. Go to Bass Pro Shop at least 2x per year.

I'm all for developing the area around the Rent.

As a Jets fan. Gillette sucks as a football venue and is imposible to get in and out of.

As an economic development plan, sure I am open to the idea in East Hartford. Would be nice to leave room for XL replacement and have a consolidated sports area ala Philly but that may just be a dream.

Reaction Score
the state is trying to kill our program before CR can. this is a frucking football field and tailgate lot, not some pretty frucking mall setup with a fball field in the parking lot. chesus. knock the place down and lets build one on campus next to dts somewhere. then lets get a 15 k bball arena and a puck barn in there also. fruck this state and its idiot leftie leaders.

Yeah, remember that time the Patriots built retail around Foxboro and it destroyed the fan base?

Me neither.

Reaction Score
Yeah, remember that time the Patriots built retail around Foxboro and it destroyed the fan base?

Me neither.

Patriots Place has been quit the windfall for both the Kraft family and the fan base. As a season ticket holder, it has accomplished two things.
1. Turned the game-day experience into a weekend experience.
2. Brought excitement and fans to the area year round, even when events aren't going on.

The Patriots, wisely, built a great Hall of Fame and Fan Experience as a part of Patriot Place. It is a great way for fans to go back on non-game days and enjoy being a Patriots fan (any team can do the same with their fanbase). It allows parents to take young children and "train" them to love the team. Just a great experience as a fan and one that has enriched the greater experience. UConn should seriously consider doing the same. How cool would a room be with jerseys from every NFL player in UConn history? Trophy's from bowl games? Pictures and video from big wins? Take RECRUITS to the stadium, dinner at the Yard House next door and a tour through the Husky Fan Experience.

HFD- You complain that we don't have an on-campus atmosphere with our stadium. However, your ideas of building a stadium in Storrs, with the infrastructure difficulties there and the fact that we've already built a 100+mm stadium, is unrealistic.

THIS is the best option we have to create that environment. When alums come back for Alumni Weekend, or any other game, what engagement do they have? They drive to the Rent day of the game, tailgate in the parking lot for a couple hours and go to the game. End of day.

Wouldn't it be a significantly better experience for the whole weekend to have lodging, bars and entertainment as a part of the Rent experience? Alums could fly in to Bradley on a Friday night, be checked into their hotel with all their buddies and at the bar within an hour. That's an experience I'd love to see for the Rent, one that will only improve the entire experience.

Keep throwing out unrealistic ideas. This is reality and one that has great potential to enrich the entire experience and build a whole new legion of fans.

Reaction Score
How about fill the dozen or so empty retail places on Silver Lane first.

Like most towns there are a few old codgers on the town zoning board in East Hartford that are still under the delusion that the town is still a blue collar Pratt employee town. Truth is it's far from that and they're clinging to the old farm and worker community utopia they had when they were kids. So they shoot down plan after plan because it doesn't fit in their profile.

Reaction Score
if we can knock all of hartford down, then we can move storrs there and uconn can be in the center of the state. i see that as a better investment then the billions for a try at aau. i mean every crack heads paper box to the office buildings. completely knock hartford down. start from scratch. if i ever get rrich, after i buy butch a hous ein colorado, im going to level that city and move uconn there becuase its leaders can't figure it out. we need 1 campus with 1 huge set up. not 15 little set ups. the whole state sytem of colleges needs to be redone becuase it was all done wrong years ago.
After you knock down Hartford, fix that road through the middle of it.

Reaction Score
As a Jets fan. Gillette sucks as a football venue and is imposible to get in and out of.

As an economic development plan, sure I am open to the idea in East Hartford. Would be nice to leave room for XL replacement and have a consolidated sports area ala Philly but that may just be a dream.

When they built Gillette Stadium, they also included a new entrance and exit from the stadium for high roller season ticket holders. No more traffic problems for them.

Reaction Score
+100, Ronpatz...

If UConn wasn't planning this, it's the type of idea that Dan would be suggesting, if he were able to still give positive suggestions at this point. The success all comes down to the execution, though, which we unfortunately don't have much reason to have faith in. A UConn themed bar, a hotel, and a couple of reasonable shops would start to make the place feel like a sub-UConn campus, instead of a stadium plopped perfectly between a bunch of highways.

Also, Dan - for all of your complaining, you keep saying that we've screwed up royally in the past 30 years. If you really want to complain about an on-campus stadium or lack therof, you really need to go back to whenever 84, 91, etc were built, and blame whoever decided to put UConn where it is. Of course, at the time, it was thought of more as an agricultural school, so kind of tough to really blame anyone here.

Reaction Score

Did you go to the old stadium? Getting out of Gillette is a piece of cake compared to that. Besides, I prefer to park about a mile down the road and walk. It is better than sitting in that traffic. Quick right turn out of the lot and I'm on the highway in minutes.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yup, more like 120 years. You'd have to go back to 1880 and tell the Storrs Brothers (warning - epic run-on sentence) "Hey guys, thanks for your donation of land and money to fund an ag school, but you see in a few years Queens College and Princeton are going to start playing this game called football, and 120 years from now the school is going to have a football team that needs a 60,000 capacity stadium, but 70 years from now they'll start building a highway from Hartford to Providence that will run out of money so it won't reach your land in Mansfield, and oh by the way there will be these things called horseless carriages that travel on the highways, but since the land you're donating now will not wind up close to the highway, it'll be too hard for the 60,000 people to drive their horseless carriages to the football stadium, so why don't you sell the land, and donate the profits to the State so we can buy some land in Stamford even though it doesn't make much sense to build an ag school there, but it is located closer to New York and when they invent these things called televisions that allow people to watch the football games it'll really help out the school because the government will consider Stamford to be part of the New York television market, and then the school will be able to make lots of income by being invited into a league with a bunch of midwestern schools, ahead of Queens college, which will be renamed Rutgers university."

Reaction Score
If they could replicate Patriots Place in East Hartford it would be perfect. I love Patriots Place.

I have have gone for a nightcap at CBS Scene, Bar Louie, or Toby Keith's at every Gillette event that I have attended over the last 4 or 5 years.

I usually head to Wild Wings or something after UConn games too... only problem is everything is Manchester. Could really use something that is walking distance from the stadium.

Reaction Score

i beg to know why we can't just have nice normal things like the rest of the big boys. its just amazing how many ppl want to ruin this school over and over again so it never becomes a big boy. is cabelas a cool store? sure, but i dont frucking want it within 2 miles of my cheeseburger and tailgate.

)*@*)+$&!$+))+~)$*)~*~FUC#*#*#*$+@*$+~*$+

Negative.

You should see what other cities are doing in this area. In Kansas City they have the outdoor shopping mall, next to the NASCAR track, the MLS Sporting KC Stadium, a minor league baseball stadium, Cabela's, Nebraska Furniture etc.. All within walking distance.

It's great, you can have dinner at a gourmet restaurant and then walk across the street and see Sporting KC play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom