OT: New Haven Food Trucks | The Boneyard

OT: New Haven Food Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Recently I've been seeing a whole bunch of food trucks down by the wharf in New Haven near where 91 & 95 meet up. Has anyone tried them out? I'm thinking of making a visit and doing a few laps around the lot to give them a shot. The only trouble is I'm not quite sure how I'd go about getting there.

Reaction Score
Hit one of the Cuban ones for a cuban. Sandwich was so so, but the same of fried chicken offered was delicious. Almost 80% are taco busses. I'll start chipping away at them. I usually get my fix in corner of Whalley/York - solid burritto.

Reaction Score
Recently I've been seeing a whole bunch of food trucks down by the wharf in New Haven near where 91 & 95 meet up. Has anyone tried them out? I'm thinking of making a visit and doing a few laps around the lot to give them a shot. The only trouble is I'm not quite sure how I'd go about getting there.

You guys speaking about the area across the highway from Assa Abloy/Sargent Corp. on the water side?

Reaction Score
Interesting thanks for the info, am down that way once in a while with sales guys may have to check the one's out you guys say are worthwhile.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The shoe shine guy who came to the office I used to work in 15+ years ago tipped me to the Mexican ones--of which there were two at the time--and gave me the info to pick the right one, but I've long since forgotten it, as I dropped out for several years and didn't go. The burritos were huge, the fillings authentic, the guac was plentiful, the price was right, and the patrons were mostly shirtless guys who didn't speak English, and a couple other suits like me. It was great.

I started going back again several years ago, hoping I would recognize the "right" truck by sight, but by then it was a sea of several trucks with Mexican flags, seemingly indistinguishable from each other. I recognized the name of a decent Mexican place on Whitney in Hamden, Ixtapa (across from the Glenwood Drive-In, worthy of mention for one of the best hot dogs in CT, among other things), and went with that. It was pretty much as I remembered the other place, and that's the one I've stuck with since. But it's been a while again; I'll try to get back there.

Tip: Eat it at one of the picnic tables there, bring it somewhere else to eat it, or eat it in your car while parked there where the food trucks are. Do not drive down to the public parking spaces at Long Wharf to look at the water while you eat, unless you are "cruising." Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I found out by accident so I might save some awkwardness if that's not on your agenda.

The exit is the Long Wharf exit.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Just get off Long Wharf exit and it'll be easy enough to find. There are currently 9-11 trucks there daily. I don't know that any of them are bad. Ixtapa may have the best reputation (via Yelp, say).

There are several other established food truck locations in New Haven:

Church St north of Elm before it turns into Whitney (near the courthouse) has a few choices.
A handful on Sachem Street in front of Ingalls hockey rink.
Cedar Street between Congress & York (serving the medical center) has the widest variety.
York at Elm (the block w/Toad's Place) has a couple.

There are also some specialty ones that do events or pop-up elsewhere.

There's even a website about some, but by nothing close to all:

http://www.newhavenfoodroutes.com/

Some would even say that it's a better scene than Lexington, KY.

Full lunch plates are in the $5-7 range, tacos are $1.50 or so each

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The Nextali taco truck is the real deal, yo.

That's the one I meant, but I haven't been unhappy when lines were long and I went elsewhere because someone at a close by truck asked me to try them. Also, you can just walk across the street (not former Visitors Center parking lot) and enjoy your food on the grass along the harbor. it's noisy from the highway, but a nice view.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Irish Loop said:

I'm all about the nexcalli truck. The lengua and cabeza tacos are killer. Really good al pastor there too.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
sledog said:
Living on the wild side with the Diarrhea Denizens.
I survived on street taco stands all over Mexico in the 80s when I drove to Guatemala. These trucks have a 5 star Michelin rating by comparison.

Reaction Score

All the Mexican people I know from the new haven area all recommend Nextali for the food trucks. It's good and a few if the other trucks are good also just go to every one and get a taco of your choice and then you can decide which one you like most. They are only $1.50.

Also anyone in Madison area the black school bus taco truck on route 1 in front of academy school is pretty good. I actually like his tacos better than Nextali

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom