OT: New bridge | The Boneyard

OT: New bridge

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Who will be first to cross the newly open, East-to-West Tappan Zee Bridge? Boneyarders want to know!
(Don't look at me; I'm in Florida.)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's not open quite yet, but it likely will be later on when I head to Rockland.

They're going to have a rolling opening westbound tonight through tomorrow morning. I don't think eastbound traffic will be coming over the span until fall.

Kinda gross that Cuomo named the bridge after his dad, but I suspect people will just keep calling it the Tappan Zee.

Reaction Score
I drove the old one yesterday! New one looks beautiful! I hope it's enough lanes!! Need at least 5 per side

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I drove the old one yesterday! New one looks beautiful! I hope it's enough lanes!! Need at least 5 per side
I think that it is 4 lanes in each direction with a separate bike and pedestrian path.

Reaction Score

Problem is that there are only 3 lanes once you're off the bridge.

Horrible move to name it after Mario Cuomo, who has no ties to that area at all.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Sorry, yarders. Cuomo was the first to drive over the Bridge.

-48ee7c0e98739ba7.jpg

Reaction Score
I've been following the progress of this new bridge as I have friends who live quite near it directly on the Hudson River............one of the few government building projects that has been finished on time and come in on budget..........an amazing and unusual achievement by the State of NY................now we just have to wait and see how much the toll is when they're completely finished...........

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Although I'm no longer in the area - a new bridge was needed 6 years ago when we left. Glad to see they got it done.

Reaction Score
Problem is that there are only 3 lanes once you're off the bridge.

Horrible move to name it after Mario Cuomo, who has no ties to that area at all.

I bet it will always be called tappan zee by motorists. I'm calling it tappan zee regardless.

Reaction Score
I've been following the progress of this new bridge as I have friends who live quite near it directly on the Hudson River..one of the few government building projects that has been finished on time and come in on budget.....an amazing and unusual achievement by the State of NY......now we just have to wait and see how much the toll is when they're completely finished......

I thought the toll is the same for the next few years.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I've been following the progress of this new bridge as I have friends who live quite near it directly on the Hudson River..one of the few government building projects that has been finished on time and come in on budget.....an amazing and unusual achievement by the State of NY......now we just have to wait and see how much the toll is when they're completely finished......

On time--On budget---impossible. They must be holding the 10 year delay 2 Trillion overruns in their pocket to be used at a later date. Who ever the REAL (not politician) in charge should have THAT bridge named from him or her--Wow!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I hope it has a break down lane. About two months ago just as I hit the bridge from Nyack, I had a tire blow. No way I was stopping in a travel lane. Drove at 10 mph on a rim hoping no idiot would fail to see me crawling. Finally got to the far end where they had a widened area on the left just beforezwhere the toll booths were.

I wasn't aware the new one was just about ready. Pretty fast.

Reaction Score
I hope it has a break down lane. About two months ago just as I hit the bridge from Nyack, I had a tire blow. No way I was stopping in a travel lane. Drove at 10 mph on a rim hoping no idiot would fail to see me crawling. Finally got to the far end where they had a widened area on the left just beforezwhere the toll booths were.

I wasn't aware the new one was just about ready. Pretty fast.

Very excited, yet not the most complicated project. It's really point A TO B. Compare to the Q bridge and surrounding area project. Not only was a new span completed but re routing of route 34, I 91, and Hamilton street exit. That was truly a massive marvel in engineering.

Reaction Score
I drove back and forth over the old bridge several times in the last couple of months. Always admired the new bridge as I went by. Far from the worst traffic area, even with the construction. Trying to get back from NJ at rush hour was no fun! 287 jammed (and I almost got hit by 2 rolled rugs flying out of the back of a van!) and 95 in lower Fairfield county was a mess. So bad one time that I went up rt 17 to Newburgh. Then faced the backed up traffic on 84 in Danbury to Waterbury! Just no good way!

Reaction Score
For get about all this: Here is my question:

Why won't the state of CT address the daily almost 24 hour traffic from Bridgeport to Stamford? Norwalk area on 95 and Merritt is an absolute crawl from 1:30-8:30!!

Why can they not add a few more lanes? It can be done technically. Let's bite the bullet and really fix what needs to be fixed.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Very excited, yet not the most complicated project. It's really point A TO B. Compare to the Q bridge and surrounding area project. Not only was a new span completed but re routing of route 34, I 91, and Hamilton street exit. That was truly a massive marvel in engineering.
I'm close to the bridge on the west end. The bridge is great. The connection design between 91 and 95 going South and North onto 91 from the West is suicidal. I drive that a lot and drivers not familiar with it get all messed up by lane signs that are misleading and the sudden addition and elimination of lanes. 91 to 95 south is a mess every afternoon rush hour. 5lanes merging into 3. The entrance into 95 north from EllaGrasso Blvd is an accident waiting to happen. Uphill and 400 feet long, you run out of acceleration room especially if traffic going in your direction doesn't let you in. It's easier to merge on when 95 is bumper to bumper.

Reaction Score

Why won't the state of CT address the daily almost 24 hour traffic from Bridgeport to Stamford? Norwalk area on 95 and Merritt is an absolute crawl from 1:30-8:30!!

Why can they not add a few more lanes? It can be done technically. Let's bite the bullet and really fix what needs to be fixed.

a disgrace for sure...............reminds me of Los Angeles traffic

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Flew over the Tappan Zee, old and new, on Monday returning to Florida. Traveled many times over the old one. Glad to see the new span will open soon. Glad I don't have to drive over it anymore.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
These massive bridges are amazing to look at.

Does CT have the money to fix the problem? It would cost BILLIONS I presume.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom