OT: Nest thermostats | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Nest thermostats

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'd like to see the Chinese try to hack my wood stove

precisely.

In short order we are going to go through a paradigm shift of "everything connected" to "everything air gapped"

It will happen in next decade.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
precisely.

In short order we are going to go through a paradigm shift of "everything connected" to "everything air gapped"

It will happen in next decade.

For those who do have some connected devices, any thoughts on Bitdefender Box2 as a security device?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have a dual zone and two nests and haven't noticed anything weird. I did just manually migrate my account which for a brief moment broke my automation with Alexa but easy enough to fix.
I have not be able to link my Nest to Alexa and it is driving me crazy.

August_West

Reaction Score
For those who do have some connected devices, any thoughts on Bitdefender Box2 as a security device?

All of those are helpful.

Its decent.

But people are already doing different and better (as I just did this to a local home this way in my moonlighting job) by setting smart devices on separate isolated home network that doesnt touch the internet.

You have control of your smart devices INSIDE the home only. Nope you cant look at your cameras or control your thermostats remotely out of home. But you can inside the home, and they will never be compromised.

That is the only truly secure way to handle this stuff.

August_West

Reaction Score
1470580434407450.jpg

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
You people have no clue. They've been spying on you thru your stats for decades. Now you let them put stats with mini computers and connectivity in your homes.

Back in the day, when I first discovered this they sent some helicopters filled with guys in black pajamas. Let me tell you, those guys were tough but they'll never bother me again. Control your HVAC manually. You can work your heating and cooling control in with your perimeter checks. I'd recommend hourly. Sleep is overrated.

Reaction Score
What about the ZX occupancy thermostat?
Verdant’s primarily commercial/ property management targeted and priced to date; purportedly primarily manufactures its’ products with locally or European manufactured or sourced parts in Canada or the States. Are Verdant products more secure when some sub-components are still manufactured further East ??? Don’t know, perhaps to some degree.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Entirely independent of Verdant and dream jobbed message:

Made in X vs Assembled in Y:

As with most stuff, follow component-part trails. Today, mainland manufacturing. Tomorrow, more manufacturing shifted to mainland-owned existing or new VN, KH, BD, MY and other Asian, African, even Latin American subs.

Same same concerns with HVAC, TV, phone, Alexa, PC, iPad, transportation (self-driven, robotic, metro car, etc), cpap, pacemaker, or other medical equipment, etc. ???

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You people have no clue. They've been spying on you thru your stats for decades. Now you let them put stats with mini computers and connectivity in your homes.

Back in the day, when I first discovered this they sent some helicopters filled with guys in black pajamas. Let me tell you, those guys were tough but they'll never bother me again. Control your HVAC manually. You can work your heating and cooling control in with your perimeter checks. I'd recommend hourly. Sleep is overrated.

Conspiracy Kitty says:
I.... I think I love you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom