OT- Nate Thurmond Passes Away | The Boneyard

OT- Nate Thurmond Passes Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For all of us old timers, the great Nate Thurmond passed away at 74. He epitomized toughness, was a perennial all star with the Warriors and had the NBA's first quad double game in pts, rebs, blocks and assists. He was one of the leagues best centers ever and was and a defensive force who continually made the all defensive first team. Not flashy, but an effective scorer and rebounder averaging a double-double over multiple years. RIP Nate.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The problem is, there have been a bunch of exceptional centers, so as good as he was, he never gets mentioned in the same breath as Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Shaq and Olajuwon. To me, he was a step above Ewing, Mutombo and Robinson.

RIP, Nate.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Much like Artis Gilmore they played with a bunch of all-time greats.

Strong as an ox.

C

Chief00

Much like Artis Gilmore they played with a bunch of all-time greats.

Strong as an ox.

Funny - I remember Artis and Wilt as being very strong - don't have that vivid memory of Nate - he may well have been - just did not impress me that way at the time - I was a young dude then.

Reaction Score
Two other facts that came to my attention is that Nate was the last in the NBA to have a 40 rebound game and in his tribute to Nate, Kareem mentioned that nobody played tougher D on him than Nate. One hell of a baller has passed.

Reaction Score
thurmond.jpg
He was jacked.

Reaction Score
Nate and Wilt teamed up together at Golden State [San Francisco] after the Philly Warriors moved to San Francisco. Wilt then was traded back to Philly, after Syracuse Nationals moved to Philadelphia. Nate was a great college player with Bowling Green. He was a poor man's Bill Russell, and a rebounding machine. RIP Nate. Nate was no journeyman, ChiefOO, he was a beast, but playing out on the left coast, especially before the era of ESPN, etc, constrained him to semi-obscurity. Those of us that can remember do recall him as a great player, who had the misfortune of playing on the left coast, and with a sup par team.

C

Chief00

Two other facts that came to my attention is that Nate was the last in the NBA to have a 40 rebound game and in his tribute to Nate, Kareem mentioned that nobody played tougher D on him than Nate. One hell of a baller has passed.

40 rebound game - Andre are you listening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom