Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
scream.gif

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Roger Federer's draw just got a bit easier. He had a Nadal-Murray-Djoker QF-Semis-Finals path to repeating. Still going to be a tall order for him, but not quite the marathon that it was previously. Would love to see him win one more.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Absolute stunner. I thought he might win it all.

Yep, easier, but still not an easy path for Roger. As it should be.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
In less weighty news...

Swiss Stan Wawrinka is blown away by Mr. Refuse-to-go-away Lleyton Hewitt,
who won this 11 years ago.

Sara Errani, 5th ranked and French finalist, was knocked off by a Puerto Rican teen.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Yet another reminder (Boneyarders, take heed!) that there just ain't no such thing as a "sure thing" in sports.

One of Red Smith's incomparable columns discussed sure bets. He wrote that if some guy gives you 1,000 to 1 odds and claims that he can place a factory sealed deck of Bicycle playing cards on the table, then -- without touching the cards -- cause the one-eyed jack to spit in your ear, DON'T MAKE THAT BET. . .

. . . because if you do you, an instant after you put your money on the table, you will feel an earful of tobacco juice.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Kib, wasn't that line in The Sting, too?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kib, wasn't that line in The Sting, too?

Having watched that classic about twice a year (not sure if that is biannually or semi-annually, but you get the idea) since it came out to great acclaim, I will say with supreme confidence:

No.

Reaction Score
I watched the Nadal match and there is definitely something wrong again with his knee IMO. He refused to use injury as an excuse though. Hewitt played a very gutsy match. He is playing better tennis lately than he has in several years. I think he's fun to watch when he is playing well.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Having watched that classic about twice a year (not sure if that is biannually or semi-annually, but you get the idea) since it came out to great acclaim, I will say with supreme confidence:

No.

It might have been Shade then. I know that line has been used in a movie.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I watched the Nadal match and there is definitely something wrong again with his knee IMO. He refused to use injury as an excuse though. Hewitt played a very gutsy match. He is playing better tennis lately than he has in several years. I think he's fun to watch when he is playing well.
Nadal may never be right on grass or hardcourt again. His legacy is secure given that he gave Federer fits, he's 59-1 at the French Open since 2005, he's won every major at least once, and he's won more majors than anyone not named Roger Federer or Pete Sampras (tied with Emerson, though all of Emerson's came during the amateur era for majors). However, he may not be able to compete at a championship level for much longer. He went all out, all the time, and he's paid a price for it. He's also reaped significant rewards.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Never have liked the Spanish butt picker. I'm glad to see the Prince of Pick eliminated.
Is that not the 2nd most annoying thing in tennis (a tad behind the screamers Azarenka and Sharapova)? I mean the guy is worth millions $ $. How about getting some panties that actually fit.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Is that not the 2nd most annoying thing in tennis (a tad behind the screamers Azarenka and Sharapova)? I mean the guy is worth millions $ $. How about getting some panties that actually fit.

Sometimes the screaming gets so annoying that I watch with the sound off during the points.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Can you imagine in 30 years when people see footage of him? He will wish someone had told him how embarrassing that is.

U

UCONNfan1

Sometimes the screaming gets so annoying that I watch with the sound off during the points.
The funny thing about Azarenka's screams is that they instantly stop if she hits the ball into the net. Proves that her prolonged wails are for effect only, and not because she "needs" to do it to hit the ball as hard as she does.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Nadal may never be right on grass or hardcourt again. His legacy is secure given that he gave Federer fits, he's 59-1 at the French Open since 2005, he's won every major at least once, and he's won more majors than anyone not named Roger Federer or Pete Sampras (tied with Emerson, though all of Emerson's came during the amateur era for majors). However, he may not be able to compete at a championship level for much longer. He went all out, all the time, and he's paid a price for it. He's also reaped significant rewards.

His style of play is very hard on his body. Yet Fed looks like he is gliding around the court.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
His style of play is very hard on his body. Yet Fed looks like he is gliding around the court.
Federer's footwork may be his greatest asset and certainly a big reason he's still hanging around at his relatively advanced (in tennis terms) age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom