OT: N&O op-ed calls for Roy Williams' head | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: N&O op-ed calls for Roy Williams' head

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A fine and maybe a loss of a couple of scholarships. No ban. NCAA really wants no part of this.
I think that mild a punishment is unlikely given that Syracuse just got a 1 year post season ban and a vacated a number of games for it's ten year cover up of payments to players, illegal drug use and academic fraud.

Here's what the author of the article suggests:

UNC should also take down Williams’ now-tainted 2005 and 2009 NCAA Championship banners from the Smith Center rafters. These titles were won by cheating, plain and simple. Carolina must own up to its ill-gotten titles and voluntarily disown them. Additionally, all UNC victories for any years in which ineligible players were used should be vacated. Williams – and UNC basketball – should have those wins wiped from records. The Carolina football program, and any other nonrevenue teams that used ineligible players, should face the same fate.

He's right but I can't see them vacating a national title especially since the NCAA let Syracuse keep it's title despite it's use of ineligible players.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Kembacity said:
So UNC is Walter White and Emmert is Gus Fring? Hank? I just want to build the world of this Saul analogy

Emmert is Skinny Pete. Minor side character that had a couple moments who is about to get offed.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
NJHusky said:
the president of ESPN is a UNC grad so this never gets any airtime on their network

Don't know what you're talking about. ESPN never drags salacious details into an unrelated story. Certainly they don't do it every...single...time. It's not like they would ever dog a championship with trumped up nonsense.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Emmert is Skinny Pete. Minor side character that had a couple moments who is about to get offed.

Emmert is Bogdan; Shabazz is Walter White in the scene where he grabs his balls and tells him to **** off.

Reaction Score
The News & Observer, which has done good work in getting to the bottom of the North Carolina academic shenanigans in spite of UNC and the NCAA, has come out with an op-ed that just screws the Heels to the floor.

Now that UNC’s house of cards has crumbled, damage control has been carried out, but with all the wrong emphases. The messengers have been killed (Rashad McCants and Mary Willingham), the news media have been bashed, basketball coach Roy Williams has been “dumbfounded.” Swofford recalls nothing. Some sacrificial lambs have moved on (Dick Baddour and Jan Boxill). And Dean Smith and Bill Guthridge are gone.

Now what? As much as it will hurt in the short term, UNC has to give Williams his walking papers. Williams, who likes to flippantly refer to the scandal as all that “junk going on,”...
Berghdal will stand in front of a judge, before NC hears back from the NCAA. In other words, very long time. to never!

Reaction Score
This is a terrible metaphor.

Wherever you go, there you are.

It's like the saying, "Your keys are always in the last place you look." (Yeah, because you stop looking for them at that point.)

Not sure why you guys think it’s a bad metaphor. I think it’s pretty apt:

An insignificant event by itself, the fall of a single snowflake, is given credit for being the trigger of a major, calamitous event, an avalanche.

Despite how much it may be trending on Fishy’s apps, the linked piece is an op-ed written by a local, former journalist to a minor, regional newspaper, certainly a minor event in the UNC academic fraud scandal.

Hopefully, “trending on Fishy’s apps” is the first visible sign of the avalanche that ends with major penalties for UNC.

They cheated in the worst way, by undermining the very purpose of the university: to educate.

I found it hideously ironic that the earlier investigation ended with the NCAA basically saying that the fictional classes, created to help athletes, were not an issue because non-athletes also enrolled. To me, that made it more of an issue—fake classes for athletes infecting the broader academic institution.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Oh I had no issue with the metaphor... I just couldn't resist a bad joke. Nice to meet you. :)

Reaction Score
In the last 2 weeks, I have realized that the only way to clean-up a corrupted, sporting organization that makes billions off of the backs of others and is only responsible for itself is to get the FBI involved. Just as FIFA. The FBI should investigate if UNC used financial aid dollars and or federal/state grants to bankroll any of these sporting 'adventures' that UNC (and others) have undertaken. If the FBI can get good old Sepp to run for the hills, it can do the same to the NCAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom