OT: Murray State...In or Out? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Murray State...In or Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah, we know the RPI is dumb, but Sagarin and Kenpom don't think highly of them either.

The scoreboard seems to like them quite a bit.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Fishy said:
The scoreboard seems to like them quite a bit.

There are fifty teams who would replicate what Murray State did in the OVC. The OVC is really bad.

Reaction Score
Out. Not even close either. Lost at home to Houston, lost by 33 points on neutral floor to Valpo, OOC SOS of 215.

Yeah that makes it less impressive so when I watched them the comp wasn't all that good. Got it.

OUT

Reaction Score
I would enjoy seeing them get in just so they could lose by 40 to a 5 seed, since that's what the evidence of the season suggests they'd probably do.

Reaction Score
While I would enjoy them in more than a Texas AM and Cameron Payne is great, they have no business being in the tournament

Reaction Score
Again, Providence, with losses to Brown and Boston College, is a lock at 21-10 but Murray State who went 16-0 in the Ohio Valley and who has lost exactly one game by one point since November 30th is out?

Why? Because some numbers that none of you actually understand somehow favor the bucket of meh that is Providence? (You can substitute just about bottom half at-large team here...not picking on PC in particular.)

I think you're just playing contrarian here for the sake of it. Providence has a neutral floor win over Notre Dame and road victories over Butler and Georgetown. They managed to finish 11-7 in one the tougher conferences around and they start two all-Big East first team kids in Henton and Dunn.

I wish Murray State could be in the tournament, but when you play in a bad conference, that means you have to either perform well OOC or win your conference tournament. Otherwise, let's just go ahead and give Albany an at-large while we're at it.

caw

Reaction Score
Normally I would say out but this is a weak bubble. Id throw them into the play in game if there aren't more upsets that make the bubble shrink.

Reaction Score
Again, Providence, with losses to Brown and Boston College, is a lock at 21-10 but Murray State who went 16-0 in the Ohio Valley and who has lost exactly one game by one point since November 30th is out?

Why? Because some numbers that none of you actually understand somehow favor the bucket of meh that is Providence? (You can substitute just about bottom half at-large team here...not picking on PC in particular.)
I'm not convinced PC should be such a lock...but they have 7 wins better than Murray State's best. They have 10 more Top 100 wins than Murray State.

Hell, if we go common opponents, PC went 1-1 against Xavier. Murray State had their doors blown off.

PC will end up a 7-8 seed, and they won't scare anyone. But if they ended up a 13 seed (which is probably where Murray State would be), those 4 seeds would be far more afraid of PC than Murray State.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm a pretty big supporter of mid-majors but their resume is nowhere near the teams projected to be in the tournament.

I'd much rather watch a tournament with them in it - but they don't have an argument. Nor do I imagine anyone in the room will bother trying to make it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I guess the message to a pretty good mid-major program like Murray State is that they're not allowed to lose because we prefer teams like Providence because some pasty twit has a formula that might or might not make sense.

Reaction Score
I guess the message to a pretty good mid-major program like Murray State is that they're not allowed to lose because we prefer teams like Providence because some pasty twit has a formula that might or might not make sense.

If they hadn't been absolutely demolished by the decent teams they played, I could understand you a bit. But they got absolutely demolished.

Reaction Score
The more teams outside the P5 who get in bodes well for us in the future. Can't believe I'm saying this...

Anyway UConn knows better than anyone regular season performances means little when the big lights come on. Sue competition matters but still some teams should be given a 'break' especially if being in a bad conference is not there fault.

Know what I mean?

Reaction Score
I think the message is that you have to beat someone. If they beat Xavier and didn't get creamed by Valpo, they may have a case. But they only beat the mediocre teams in their conference and have shown no ability to take a game against a tournament team. Their best win is Illinois State...

caw

Reaction Score
Would you take IU, BYU, Texas over Murray State? I'm not sure I would.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If they hadn't been absolutely demolished by the decent teams they played, I could understand you a bit. But they got absolutely demolished.

I just saw Providence lose by 30 last week. I saw St. John's lose the second half of a game by 40 a couple of days ago.

Lock and lock.

But Murray State lost badly in early November.

Out.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Would you take IU, BYU, Texas over Murray State? I'm not sure I would.

I would take them over Indiana for sure and likely BYU.

I'm less invested in Murray State than I am impressed by the slavish devotion to some mystical set of numbers that don't seem to have any real-world bearing on how good a team is verses another.

Reaction Score
I just saw Providence lose by 30 last week. I saw St. John's lose the second half of a game by 40 a couple of days ago.

Lock and lock.

But Murray State lost badly in early November.

Out.
Again, St. John's doesn't particularly scare me. But they swept a team that destroyed Murray State. And they've beaten other tournament teams.

Providence and St. John's did get blown out...but against a #1 or #2 seed. Murray State got blown out by Valparaiso and Xavier. They aren't in the same galaxy.

Reaction Score
Again, St. John's doesn't particularly scare me. But they swept a team that destroyed Murray State. And they've beaten other tournament teams.

Providence and St. John's did get blown out...but against a #1 or #2 seed. Murray State got blown out by Valparaiso and Xavier. They aren't in the same galaxy.
He must be trying to be difficult.

No one with half a brain could compare the 3.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Sure that's one way of putting it. It's not a correct way of putting it - but I hope the Friars soon appear to take the bait.

Reaction Score

To the only decent teams they played all season?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Maybe if they actually tried scheduling anyone?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe if they actually tried scheduling anyone?

Murray State - "Hey, want to schedule a home and home?"

Every P5 - "No way."

ESPN nods approvingly.

Reaction Score
The response to not getting home and homes with P5s isn't to just throw up your hands and start scheduling D2 schools.

Reaction Score
As a bonorary Racer , ( I spoke to a MBA class and they gave me a shirt) . I work pretty cheap. I'm rooting for these guys. At least they beat Western Ky .

They might be my only hope. It not shaping up a great year for teams I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom