OT: Moving to NC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Moving to NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I live in Cary,Triangle, about 1-1.5 hours north. Cary is also called Yankeeville because of all the Northern transplants. In you play golf you are in heaven. Best golfing area in the state, Sandhills. Housing is very reasonable in SP. New construction between $100-130 a sq. ft. Welcome to NC, a great place to live.
Was told Cary is an acronym: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

A former co-worker relocated there in 1999 and a very close friend did the same in 2003.

Reaction Score
A little west of Southern Pines is Seven Lakes, my dad, retired, has lived there for 20 years. Biggest lake is Lake Auman, which is beautiful. A couple golf courses in the Seven Lakes area, a fair amount of new and newer construction for $200-300k, lakefront properties can go for up to $1M and more, but an area worth checking out if your into sailing, water skiing, or have kids who like tubing, swimming. I'd also recommend checking out Pinehurst, beautiful properties, and a really cool little downtown, plus when the US Open returns you can rent your house for two weeks and properly pay off 6 months of mortgage payments.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
A few hrs East you have Charleston SC, Myrtle Beach, a few hrs West you have Ashville and Maggie Valley(skying). If you have never drove up MT Washington in New Hampshire, you will have a 2nd shot if you take 19 up MT Bascom to Cherokee Reservation. Very Hairy. Road winds up the mountain with no guard rails. Some people like it. Straight up over 5,000 and you can see straight down 5,000 ft.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Welcome to the state, there are a ton of northeastern transplants all over the state, many from CT. I own a real estate firm in the Charlotte area, not too familiar with the Fayetteville area so I am not of any help.
Several years ago I was asked to be the keynote speaker at a chemistry conference in Boston, sponsored by a company in Charlotte. I considered moving there now that I'm retired and explored houses on a lake-you have several lakes in the area. I was shocked at what one could buy-saw a 3500 sq foot house on biggest lake with a boathouse, open floorplan with circular staircase (think Gone with the Wind style) granite/stainless open kitchen etc for like $450K AND the property tax was ONLY $2000/yr. Still thinking about that move NC_UConn.

Reaction Score
If you like pizza and bagels you will have to ship them in. Good news is while New Englanders are digging out of 3' of snow you your only problem will be worrying if you can make a 5' putt Best of luck!

Reaction Score
There's a great pizza place called rosario's in Concord. Owner is from New York and born in Sicily. Always packed with new yorkers. Give it a try if you are local.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
There's a great pizza place called rosario's in Concord. Owner is from New York and born in Sicily. Always packed with new yorkers. Give it a try if you are local.

this. I was going to mention this. There's so many NY/CT/NJ transplants that there are tons of these types of places popping up (for pizza at least- bagels aren't really a thing here. We're biscuit people). Pizza quality actually pretty good

Reaction Score
I've been living in Raleigh for 17 years. Great area. Not overly familiar with Fayetteville area except its a big military area. Also, most people here have no idea who UConn is, or are vaguely familiar with them, lol If it's not Duke, UNC or State (most delusional fanbase, bar none!), you've lost them....good luck!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Several years ago I was asked to be the keynote speaker at a chemistry conference in Boston, sponsored by a company in Charlotte. I considered moving there now that I'm retired and explored houses on a lake-you have several lakes in the area. I was shocked at what one could buy-saw a 3500 sq foot house on biggest lake with a boathouse, open floorplan with circular staircase (think Gone with the Wind style) granite/stainless open kitchen etc for like $450K AND the property tax was ONLY $2000/yr. Still thinking about that move NC_UConn.
When I was considering the move to Charlotte, I could have purchased a brick house in a golf course community and a beach house for what my house in CT cost. Concerning the 3,500 square foot house, when you get older, downsize. No one has time to maintain a house that large at any age. Get a condo or townhouse and let someone else take care of maintaining it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you like pizza and bagels you will have to ship them in. Good news is while New Englanders are digging out of 3' of snow you your only problem will be worrying if you can make a 5' putt Best of luck!
LOL at this. My son is a freshman at a college in North Carolina and called begging me to send him some bagels. I sent him a care package of bagels, honey crisps, and maple syrup. His friends from NC thinks he's nuts re: the bagels.

The Burlington-Greensboro area is great and my son needed to be dragged out of NC to come home for Thanksgiving. Next week we go to Asheville for Christmas. After 20+ years of Christmases in Asheville, the charm has worn off for this Northeasterner.

Reaction Score
When I was considering the move to Charlotte, I could have purchased a brick house in a golf course community and a beach house for what my house in CT cost. Concerning the 3,500 square foot house, when you get older, downsize. No one has time to maintain a house that large at any age. Get a condo or townhouse and let someone else take care of maintaining it.
I agree and my wife does also! We have a French Country/Contemporary home of about 3000 sq ft (w/cathedral ceilings) on about 4 acres in a deeded subdivision. Last winter my snow-thrower on my lawn tractor broke a belt clearing my 140 driveway so we had to shovel most of it! Also even with a Cyclone Rake, leaves are a lot of work, as well as all of her flower gardens.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
This is far more posters than I expected. Thanks Malloy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Embrace the pulled pork BBQ with the vinegar-red pepper based sauce. Don't be a knob an put cole slaw on top of the sandwich. Wash it down with an RC Cola.

And appreciate the complexity and subtlety of flavors in chicken and waffles- sweet, savory, salty and crunchy.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I know there's more than a couple Carolina transplants on here. I'm taking a job just outside Fayettevile and looking in the Southern Pines area to live. Any Advice?

Caught a little of the Roy Williams show in the rental car on the way down. Guy's a piece of work.
If you're looking to make a purchase in NC or need to sell your existing home, let me know. I have a number of contacts in my network that can help. Referrals from other Yarders can be provided too. Mike-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom