OT: Moving to Georgia | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Moving to Georgia

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Things have changed drastically in Edgewood/kirkwood area. I have never had an issue of a break-in in my house or my car. I have my car outside sometimes on the road and it is very nice one and haven’t had an issue. Of course I never leave anything in it of value in plain sight. We only have a one lane driveway so sometimes it is easier if one of us parks on the road. The only thing we ever had stolen was a bag of mulch that was in the front yard. lol. My street is pretty quiet and either has nice older residents or younger couples or families.

I know it can depend on the street as their is sextion 8 apartment complex less than half a mile away that has shootings and Petty theft around there. Edgewood/kirkwood really transitioned in the last 5 years from a drug ridden Mecca to nice quiet gentrified area. They are building a huge upscale apartment complex at the Marta train station with a small park, restaurant and shops. Also, townhomes are going up like crazy between 500 to 600k all around that area just down the street. I think east Atlanta is the last area on the east side that is still hit or miss as far as safety.

We still live in the city so of course we have to be smart about our surroundings. I just feel pretty safe walking around here to Coan Park, downtown kirkwood, little five points or even the new section of the eastside beltline.

Ah ok...that sounds better than it was. Thanks.

Reaction Score
"Section 8" apartment complex. Really? Somebody contact Jaimie Farr.
Yes, there is this one owner that still has a quite a few in areas that are gentrifying. I guess he is going to hold out until he can sell them for top dollar. Unfortunately they are a magnet for trouble. They are putting up $600K modern houses right next to it. I find this crazy as I would never want to live right next door to it.

Reaction Score
It's far better than it used to be if you know where to go. I enjoy Industry Tavern in Buckhead, great sports bar and good pizza.

But live in ATL long enough, unfortunately you'll be happy with Fellini's and a pitcher of beer.
Fellini's is my go to pizza place still to this day. You won't be disappointed for sure like most of the pizza joints in Atlanta. Not the greatest pizza but just good and solid if you need your fix. I tried Avellinos Pizza off West College Road when my brothers were down for the holidays from CT and NY and it was the worst stuff we ever had. They even have there name in an Amazon logo with square pizzas. Just awful selection. They did enjoy Felilini's. Have you ever tried "Urban Pie"?

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Fellini's is my go to pizza place still to this day. You won't be disappointed for sure like most of the pizza joints in Atlanta. Not the greatest pizza but just good and solid if you need your fix. I tried Avellinos Pizza off West College Road when my brothers were down for the holidays from CT and NY and it was the worst stuff we ever had. They even have there name in an Amazon logo with square pizzas. Just awful selection. They did enjoy Felilini's. Have you ever tried "Urban Pie"?

Fellini's is pretty solid late night drunken pizza.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
This is also super OT, but if you do move to Atlanta, do a weekend in Chattanooga, TN. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and it was a blast. Great food and a gorgeous city. Tons of outdoor activities within 10-15 minutes of downtown--mountain biking, kayaking, awesome hiking, rock climbing, etc

Reaction Score
Things have changed drastically in Edgewood/kirkwood area. I have never had an issue of a break-in in my house or my car. I have my car outside sometimes on the road and it is very nice one and haven’t had an issue. Of course I never leave anything in it of value in plain sight. We only have a one lane driveway so sometimes it is easier if one of us parks on the road. The only thing we ever had stolen was a bag of mulch that was in the front yard. lol. My street is pretty quiet and either has nice older residents or younger couples or families.

I know it can depend on the street as their is sextion 8 apartment complex less than half a mile away that has shootings and Petty theft around there. Edgewood/kirkwood really transitioned in the last 5 years from a drug ridden Mecca to nice quiet gentrified area. They are building a huge upscale apartment complex at the Marta train station with a small park, restaurant and shops. Also, townhomes are going up like crazy between 500 to 600k all around that area just down the street. I think east Atlanta is the last area on the east side that is still hit or miss as far as safety.

We still live in the city so of course we have to be smart about our surroundings. I just feel pretty safe walking around here to Coan Park, downtown kirkwood, little five points or even the new section of the eastside beltline.

I lived on Irwin Street from 2010-2012 and agree with everything you mentioned. It can literally change from block to block. Boulevard had its issue while a quarter mile away they began putting up million dollar homes.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Near Savannah I assume. Don't rule out South Carolina across the river. Way more retirement focused areas in between Hilton Head and Beaufort. Bluffton is booming. I was down in Savannah last week, still a beautiful city.
My son highly favors Charleston also. He cannot talk enough about it.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Also Pooler is a nice place to be. 20 minutes from Savannah (maybe 15) northwest of Savannah. That is where the Hilton Head/Savannah airport is. Surprisingly you don't hear the aircraft noise. There is old Pooler and new Pooler. If you see the prices on the homes there,you would think it is a gag. Beautiful homes. It's growing and getting somewhat busy. Still a nice place to live with Savannah just down the road. Pooler is right off I95. Unless you like Island living.

Reaction Score
On a more helpful note, the tomahawk Ribeye at Little Alley Steak in Roswell, GA is well worth the trip. One of the best steaks I've had anywhere in the country, and they have a scotch/bourbon selection that is second to none.
Little Alley is the shyyt. We have Sunday brunch at least once a month. The other outstanding steakhouse is Hal's in Buckhead.

Reaction Score
Cumming resident as well (east of exit 14), working in Alpharetta. I couldn't imagine commuting to Perimeter, much less Buckhead. I admire your patience.
I'm off of 400, exit 13. I drive daily to Sandy Springs the commute in the AM isn't bad as I leave at 550am. The ride home at 5pm is tough though. Lots of phone calls with west coast folks.

Reaction Score
Haven't had Urban Pie. Looks like I have some new spots to check out when I get on my feet again. Had ankle surgery two weeks ago. Two more weeks and I'll be able to walk in this boot. It's unfortunate what happened to Ammazza, hopefully it comes back from the ashes. Good spot. O4W Pizzeria Ammazza Temporarily Closes After Car Plows Into the Building

Reaction Score
I live in Inman park and love the area. Can walk everywhere- restuarants-great outdoor spaces and close to hwy. I have to agree- live near where you work if possible - traffic is horrible. My wife drives 13 miles to work and it can take her 1.5 hours to get home sometimes.
IF you can live in town it is on fire right now and is a great place to live. Leaving country for a few weeks but feel fee to PM and Ill get back with you if I can be helpful in anyway.

Reaction Score
I live in Inman park and love the area. Can walk everywhere- restuarants-great outdoor spaces and close to hwy. I have to agree- live near where you work if possible - traffic is horrible. My wife drives 13 miles to work and it can take her 1.5 hours to get home sometimes.
IF you can live in town it is on fire right now and is a great place to live. Leaving country for a few weeks but feel fee to PM and Ill get back with you if I can be helpful in anyway.
Totally agree with Scot-e on this one. OP just get yourself an apartment or if you want to own a condo on the eastside belt line and you will be set. Tons of 20 somethings fit people walking, running, skate boarding, loving the art, shops and trendy restaurants on the belt line. Not sure of your budget OP, but there are some affordable options in the older buildings. Old by Atlanta terms are late 1990's and early 2000's. LOL!

Reaction Score
Hello all, just an update for all that took the time to comment and reach out; my wife and I have successfully settled in Inman Park near Krog Street Market and have found work.

Any further recommendations for food etc would be appreciated. We just got back from dinner at New Realm Brewery on the beltline; I thought it was really good

Reaction Score
Hello all, just an update for all that took the time to comment and reach out; my wife and I have successfully settled in Inman Park near Krog Street Market and have found work.

Any further recommendations for food etc would be appreciated. We just got back from dinner at New Realm Brewery on the beltline; I thought it was really good
You probably could throw a random stone and hit Scot-e in the head. Was just down there yesterday for an Inman Park party. You'll be happy. Welcome to ATL.

Reaction Score
You probably could throw a random stone and hit Scot-e in the head. Was just down there yesterday for an Inman Park party. You'll be happy. Welcome to ATL.

The Inman Park festival yesterday made moving-in a real pain, but nonetheless it seemed very cool.

Reaction Score
I graduated from UCONN in 08 and moved to Atlanta in 2010. I have lived in midtown, 4th ward, Buckhead, and recently bought a house in Acworth. DM me if you have any questions about the area.
Lived in Acworth before moving back to NH. Traffic was crazy on Hwy 41 before I left. Bumper-to-bumper on sat mornings. Highly recommend Red Peppers restaurant if the are still there in Acworth.

Reaction Score
Lived in Acworth before moving back to NH. Traffic was crazy on Hwy 41 before I left. Bumper-to-bumper on sat mornings. Highly recommend Red Peppers restaurant if the are still there in Acworth.

Traffic is still crazy. Red Pepper closed...did you ever eat at Harry's while living in Acworth?

Reaction Score

Hi there- welcome to to hood! I live in the old converted schoolhouse about a half block from Krog Market.
The beltline right near your location is about to add about 15 new bars and restaurants over the next few months. Should be fun.
Rathbun Steak- great steakhouse $$$$
Staplehouse- won best new restaurant in country last year ( bon appetite )
MF sushi,
Barcelona,
bread and butterfly,
Miso- Japanese small plates
Folk Art- reasonable comfort food
Grindhouse burgers
Krog bar Spanish top as
If you need me please feel free to PM me- been here a while and I'm an OG in Inman Park.

Reaction Score
Hi there- welcome to to hood! I live in the old converted schoolhouse about a half block from Krog Market.
The beltline right near your location is about to add about 15 new bars and restaurants over the next few months. Should be fun.
Rathbun Steak- great steakhouse $$$$
Staplehouse- won best new restaurant in country last year ( bon appetite )
MF sushi,
Barcelona,
bread and butterfly,
Miso- Japanese small plates
Folk Art- reasonable comfort food
Grindhouse burgers
Krog bar Spanish top as
If you need me please feel free to PM me- been here a while and I'm an OG in Inman Park.

If you see someone in any UConn apparel walking around, it's likely me.

Just ordered my UConn alum decal for the car to stand out amongst the sea of UGA/Tech/Clemson/Auburn decals in our apartment complex's garage.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Just ordered my UConn alum decal for the car to stand out amongst the sea of UGA/Tech/Clemson/Auburn decals in our apartment complex's garage.

When I first moved to Atlanta 23 years ago, I wondered why there were so many Green Bay Packer stickers on cars.

duh.

upload_2018-4-30_8-55-59.png

Reaction Score

Wearing my UCONN NC hoodie today! Have a property behind Revolution doughnuts that I work from daily- if you see a guy wandering around the property - prob me. ATL- my head feels like someone threw a rock at it from the IPF this weekend.

Reaction Score
Wearing my UCONN NC hoodie today! Have a property behind Revolution doughnuts that I work from daily- if you see a guy wandering around the property - prob me.

I don't start work till next Monday, so I'll be doing a lot of wondering around!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom