OT: Moving to Georgia | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Moving to Georgia

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I already live in DC.

The pizza is...

Less than great.

I'll drown my sadness in BBQ.

Smart move.

But if you need a Pizza fix down there Antico will do in a pinch.

Me?

When Im down there Im a glutton for Fried Chicken and BBQ. The Fried Chicken especially.

Reaction Score
Have you been to We the Pizza? I thought it was decent and I'm about as pizza-snobby as they come.

I actually live just a couple of blocks from We The Pizza. It is good. Just not the same.

My wife is from a small town in North Georgia, the "Italian" restaurant in town is most known for its Reuben.

For any of you who are Sopranos fans and remember what the term "Elvis Country" means, it pretty much nails it...

Reaction Score
Smart move.

But if you need a Pizza fix down there Antico will do in a pinch.

Me?

When Im down there Im a glutton for Fried Chicken and BBQ. The Fried Chicken especially.

One of the reasons we're considering Athens is my father-in-law has a bunch of connections at Zaxby's so we're hoping it'll help my wife land a job at their corporate HQ (which is located in Athens)

Reaction Score
On a more helpful note, the tomahawk Ribeye at Little Alley Steak in Roswell, GA is well worth the trip. One of the best steaks I've had anywhere in the country, and they have a scotch/bourbon selection that is second to none.

Reaction Score
3rd...how are the "transitioning" neighborhoods for crime now? I had friends who lived in Kirkwood, and left about 5 years ago because of frequent break-ins in their neighborhood. Basically...as houses transitioned they became targets for those houses that hadn't transitioned.

I have lived in Roswell....Buckhead and now Midtown. Midtown has an insane amount of construction right now (West Peachtree and Spring Street) as they are finishing up the "Midtown Mile"...which is basically a work/live/play concept. While the construction is annoying right now...the walkability is great. It seems like every weekend there is some festival or event in Piedmont Park that you can walk to. And...the MARTA station gets you to the airport in 30 minutes. Living in Midtown almost eliminates the traffic issue. From my perspective, It's worth the extra investment to avoid the traffic aggravation.
Things have changed drastically in Edgewood/kirkwood area. I have never had an issue of a break-in in my house or my car. I have my car outside sometimes on the road and it is very nice one and haven’t had an issue. Of course I never leave anything in it of value in plain sight. We only have a one lane driveway so sometimes it is easier if one of us parks on the road. The only thing we ever had stolen was a bag of mulch that was in the front yard. lol. My street is pretty quiet and either has nice older residents or younger couples or families.

I know it can depend on the street as their is sextion 8 apartment complex less than half a mile away that has shootings and Petty theft around there. Edgewood/kirkwood really transitioned in the last 5 years from a drug ridden Mecca to nice quiet gentrified area. They are building a huge upscale apartment complex at the Marta train station with a small park, restaurant and shops. Also, townhomes are going up like crazy between 500 to 600k all around that area just down the street. I think east Atlanta is the last area on the east side that is still hit or miss as far as safety.

We still live in the city so of course we have to be smart about our surroundings. I just feel pretty safe walking around here to Coan Park, downtown kirkwood, little five points or even the new section of the eastside beltline.

August_West

Reaction Score
On a more helpful note, the tomahawk Ribeye at Little Alley Steak in Roswell, GA is well worth the trip. One of the best steaks I've had anywhere in the country, and they have a scotch/bourbon selection that is second to none.

@OneTrickPony treated me to an absolutely awesome meal at McKendricks in Dunwoody. I can vouch for the legitmacy of that RibEye too.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
I live up in Cumming (Forsyth County) and work down in the Perimeter/Buckhead area. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you might have.

Cumming resident as well (east of exit 14), working in Alpharetta. I couldn't imagine commuting to Perimeter, much less Buckhead. I admire your patience.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
you need @AtlHusky in this thread. We met up in Alpharetta a few months ago. @OneTrickPony and I met up in Dunwoody. Both incredibly great guys and extensive Hotlanta knowledge.

Northern suburbs is my domain, let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help with.

Best advice has already been given...live near where you are going to work. I'd advise renting for a stretch if you don't have a long term job before moving down.

August_West

Reaction Score
Cumming resident as well (east of exit 14), working in Alpharetta. I couldn't imagine commuting to Perimeter, much less Buckhead. I admire your patience.

Just getting from Alpharetta to Cumming is a slog.

Reaction Score
In Atlanta, some of the "up and coming" places we've been looking at from afar are the Westview/Cascade Road area, East Atlanta (if there are any affordable places left), Bush Mtn/Venetian Hills/Oakland area, Sylvan Hills. Outside Atlanta proper, we seem to be interested in Hapeville and the East Lake area in Decatur.

We'd like to buy a house rather than a condo. We don't have kids and I don't think we're planning to in the very near future so school quality is not at the top of our list of things we're considering.

DO NOT BUY NEAR EAST LAKE

Reaction Score
Northern suburbs is my domain, let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help with.

Best advice has already been given...live near where you are going to work. I'd advise renting for a stretch if you don't have a long term job before moving down.

We're definitely renting first so that we can "get a feel" for the area, we aren't going to move unless at least one of us has a job.

Luckily our lease now goes month to month after the end of May in case we need more time to find a job.

My wife is from a very OTP area, so ITP is a whole new world for her too.

Reaction Score
Eat pizza everyday until you leave for Georgia because you will cry when you eat a pie they call pizza down there.

Atlanta area is great though. Have family that lives in sandy springs

This is fact. Antico is pretty good, but overall a good pie is hard to find.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
This is fact. Antico is pretty good, but overall a good pie is hard to find.

Antico is good, but when I lived there (only for a summer), people talked it up like the 8th wonder of the world and then I got there and was pretty disappointed

Reaction Score
That's the type of advice I'm looking for!

Why?

Crime. The golf course is incredible, but the surrounding area is tough. Similar to Augusta national....you get outside the gates and it is not the safest place in the city. If you are looking to invest into a "up and coming" area and gentrification is something you are behind then look heavily at West midtown.

Reaction Score
Eat pizza everyday until you leave for Georgia because you will cry when you eat a pie they call pizza down there.

Atlanta area is great though. Have family that lives in sandy springs
It's far better than it used to be if you know where to go. I enjoy Industry Tavern in Buckhead, great sports bar and good pizza.

But live in ATL long enough, unfortunately you'll be happy with Fellini's and a pitcher of beer.

Reaction Score
Antico is good, but when I lived there (only for a summer), people talked it up like the 8th wonder of the world and then I got there and was pretty disappointed

I would agree with that. The hype surrounding it was greater than the pizza... but what do you expect from a city that is starved for half decent pizza.

Reaction Score
It's far better than it used to be if you know where to go. I enjoy Industry Tavern in Buckhead, great sports bar and good pizza.

But live in ATL long enough, unfortunately you'll be happy with Fellini's and a pitcher of beer.

Industry Tavern is a good spot... you are right about that PBR pitcher and pie from Fellini's.

If you miss pizza from Connecticut, try Athens pizza in Decatur.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
sextion 8 apartment complex less than half a mile away that has shootings and Petty theft around there. Edgewood/kirk

"Section 8" apartment complex. Really? Somebody contact Jaimie Farr.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom