OT: Moving to Atlanta | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Moving to Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
Grew up in Roswell. It was farm country when we moved there from NJ back in 1992 but it is turning into Buckhead lite.

No real different comments then what I have seen already here but if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. My dad and sister are still in the area and I make it back a pretty decent amount.

Reaction Score
It can take my wife over an hour to get home from Sandy Springs where she works- but at least when she gets home she has lots of things within walking distance.
I live right near 3rdBass and our area is awesome. You can get more for your $$$ up north though. Traffic unfortunately is everywhere in this city- north or south.

Reaction Score
I work in Sandy Springs and live in buckhead. It's a great reverse commute. You get more for your $ for sure living north of Sandy Springs but the commute is a beyotch coming south/north on 400. Roswell has a cool little downtown area if you end up there. Feel free to PM. Happy to help and grab lunch sometime.

Reaction Score
@AtlantaHusky do you agree that coming in from the east is just as crappy? A peer of my wife lives in Dacula and says his commute is about 40 minutes each day. Dacula seems pretty far out from and Google Maps shows it being a 36 minute commute this morning.

Reaction Score
Google maps shows that to be a 1 hour to 2 hour commute during rush hour. That would be a brutal commute. Avoid having to get on 285 if at all possible (it may not be).

Reaction Score
@AtlantaHusky do you agree that coming in from the east is just as crappy? A peer of my wife lives in Dacula and says his commute is about 40 minutes each day. Dacula seems pretty far out from and Google Maps shows it being a 36 minute commute this morning.
You never mentioned your price range? That will definitely dictate where you live. Also, do you want old houses or new construction? I will repeat what AtlantaHusky said you don't want to live in the east side unless say you live at Peachtree Corners area as traffic to the Perimeter/Sandy Springs area is a nightmare. Perimeter/Sandy Springs area itself is getting really bad and they are about to open a new State Farms building there which is just going to make getting out of the there a nightmare. So you don't want to add more time to your trip by living on the east side. Go up north if you are looking for good schools and cheaper living or go south into buckhead/brookhaven which I believe has really good schools but is more expensive. Brookhaven though being cheaper than Buckhead is a real good option and it is a very short ride over 285 to the Sandy Springs/Perimeter area.

Reaction Score
Regardless of where you decide to live, go visit Little Alley Steak in Roswell - and get the 60 day dry aged tomahawk ribeye. Life changing.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Hi,

My brother lives in ATL and I spent the bulk of a summer there in 2013...from the few months I've spent there, here's my advice.

1) Why are you looking to live in the suburbs? Is it because you want to be out of the hustle and bustle of the city, or because you want lower cost housing? If it's the former, living in Atlanta proper can be pretty quiet and in certain places almost woodsy. Sections of Buckhead and Vinings especially will have you feeling like you live outside of the city while not having to deal with the commute associated with living in the burbs.
2) If you're willing to compromise and live within the city limits, here's a good list of spots (I'll rank them from most to least lavish): Buckhead, Vinings, Midtown (look at streets bordering Piedmont Park--lots of gorgeous bungalow homes), Virginia Highlands, Reynoldstown (this spot is more of an up-and-coming neighborhood, but again has lots of beautiful bungalow homes and is full of recently renovated homes...mostly younger folks here and is a little further south than the other options), Cabbagetown (more apartment/condo living than homes, but is probably ATLs most quintessentially 'hipster' neighborhood) and then Little Five Points.
3) If you're really set on living outside the city, I've seen a lot of others mention places like Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Roswell and Duluth. They are nice communities and have the advantage of being on the MARTA (ATL's public transit) so that you can take a train into the city and cut time out of your commute. However, I found these towns to be kind of cookie cutter and lacking in aesthetics...they're nice towns, just didn't fit my taste. Marietta is a great option...real estate can be kind of pricey, but it has a lot to offer. Absolutely gorgeous town square (think West Hartford on steroids) with a green that hosts concerts during the summer. Tons of great restaurants. If you'd like to spend a bit less, you can go out to Kennesaw which is just a little bit outside of Marietta. Haven't been there, but I've heard it's a nice town, albeit really conservative (they passed an ordinance requiring all residents to have a gun inside of their home). A bit further outside of ATL you'll find nice suburban towns like Woodstock and Canton. I also forgot Smyrna, which lies just north of ATL (before Marietta). You may not have considered Decatur because it's east of ATL, but that is another cool suburb with a bustling downtown offering tons of shopping and dining experiences and a great art scene. Again, a lot of this stuff is a matter of personal preference--I'm a guy whose more interested in artistic/bohemian communities so my opinions reflect that. Hopefully this is of some help! If you have any further questions, feel free to reply and I'll answer anything you might be wondering.

Oh, and FWIW....Braves new stadium will be just north of ATL (in the Marietta area) and from what I've heard real estate prices in that immediate area are on the uptick, so maybe an investment there would be worthwhile. No matter where you decide to go, best of luck; Atlanta is a great place to make a home!

Reaction Score
@uconnphil2016 a lot of our decision making comes from having two dogs, one of which is the size of a small moose and value for our dollar. A small sacrifice in drive time for a home that has more bang for our buck is a motivator as well. We have shifted some of our focus to the 400 corridor up to Cummin and then slightly east from there to avoid 285, per the recommendation of some here. @3rdbass our price range is in the 350's and from what I see these areas will provide us some option there. We like newer housing and are looking for something that is around 2800-3200 sq/ft with a decent yard that can be fenced in. I dont think that we are looking to build anything. Much of our taste is open floor plans, high ceilings and crap like that.

Reaction Score
I was a real estate developer here for a while and I think the BY peeps have mostly been spot on with the info. With your price range and desire to have a decent sized place and yard- you are going to have to live OTP- unless you feel like taking on a rehab and it does'nt sound like that's in the cards.

Reynoldstown is about the only place in town where you might be able to get a place in that price range- but it would be older and need work or it would be a tear down- save what you can type of home. I know two people doing that in R town now- it's getting harder to find things in the area where 3rd Bass and I live. it's a cool area and you would be in a booming hood with tons to do- but would have to compromise on your home. I live in an old converted schoolhouse- dogs everywhere- but as I mentioned my wife fights traffic everyday ( she works at Cox in SS).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
@minidarren , for the love of God, please learn how to efficiently order from a Waffle House menu.

It's a small favor to ask from the rest of us.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Smothered and covered is my favorite.

Scattered, covered, chunked and diced for me.

Throw in a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on wheat w/ a cup of coffee.

Reaction Score
I was a real estate developer here for a while and I think the BY peeps have mostly been spot on with the info. With your price range and desire to have a decent sized place and yard- you are going to have to live OTP- unless you feel like taking on a rehab and it does'nt sound like that's in the cards.

Reynoldstown is about the only place in town where you might be able to get a place in that price range- but it would be older and need work or it would be a tear down- save what you can type of home. I know two people doing that in R town now- it's getting harder to find things in the area where 3rd Bass and I live. it's a cool area and you would be in a booming hood with tons to do- but would have to compromise on your home. I live in an old converted schoolhouse- dogs everywhere- but as I mentioned my wife fights traffic everyday ( she works at Cox in SS).
I haven't heard East Atlanta being mentioned but that is a great area to live and were I'm looking but prices are going crazy there and you might sacrifice having a garage. City Living. LOL! Also, downtown Decatur is a great area(great schools and my favorite downtown area). Think of West Hartford(where I'm from) but more trendy and less preppy. LOL!

Reaction Score
^ You may need to hit the burbs or hit the lottery. You can always come visit!!

Reaction Score
^ You may need to hit the burbs or hit the lottery. You can always come visit!!
That's what I'm thinking. Don't need the third Bay as I'll be losing the company vehicle. But a minimum of two is necessary.

Reaction Score
I'm also in the area. Not sure if you have kids but if you do I would recommend Alpharetta, Roswell, Dunwoody/Sandy Springs as you don't want to be driving from the east side up north as you have to deal with spaghetti junction. Ugh! The schools are great in those areas and they are pretty well developed areas with nice shopping options. Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area has Marta train near it so great for getting to the airport and sporting events. I prefer in town even after just getting married as we love to walk, bike and go to live events there but I'm very familiar with northern Atlanta since I lived in both Alpharetta and dunwoody for a time. I have been in Atlanta since 1998 a few years after I graduated from Uconn. Let me know if you have any other questions. You can also find cheaper options in Johns Creek, Woodstock and Forsythe. I couldn't fathom living in those areas as I love being near mass transit and the city of Atlanta, but I'm aware some people are more into a very suburban life.
My brother lived in Marietta and currently lives in Roswell. Both seemed nice to me and he certainly likes it.

Reaction Score
I live in Woodstock off of 140 right next to the Roswell and Milton city limits. Great area with excellent schools. Not too far of a drive to Sandy Springs.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
I just moved down to Atlanta from NYC. Depending on when you will be on the road the traffic is ridiculous, so my advice is live as close to where you work as possible.

^^This is the key IMO. I would add that you should live as close to work as you can afford to, as some areas are pricier than others.

Also, you mentioned having some space. Most of the new builds in Metro ATL are on postage stamp lots. It's likely that to get the space you want in the area you want, you may have to look at homes > 10 yrs old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom