OT: Moving to Atlanta | The Boneyard

OT: Moving to Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I figure there is quite a bit of knowledge on this board and if we can have successful threads about pizza this thread should be no different.

Today I was offered a promotion in Atlanta at our corporate office which is located on the north side of the city. I'm looking for housing recommendations from anyone familiar with the area. I'm thinking east of the city in the towns of Dacula, Lilburn, or Snellville.

I don't want to be south of the city and have to drive through it every day. West of the city does not interest me. I love South Carolina and the beaches there, so east makes sense. North of the city is also a possibility.

Any thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I figure there is quite a bit of knowledge on this board and if we can have successful threads about pizza this thread should be no different.

Today I was offered a promotion in Atlanta at our corporate office which is located on the north side of the city. I'm looking for housing recommendations from anyone familiar with the area. I'm thinking east of the city in the towns of Dacula, Lilburn, or Snellville.

I don't want to be south of the city and have to drive through it every day. West of the city does not interest me. I love South Carolina and the beaches there, so east makes sense. North of the city is also a possibility.

Any thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated.
@Scot-e
@AtlantaHusky

I think they are in the area.

Reaction Score
@Scot-e
@AtlantaHusky

I think they are in the area.
I'm also in the area. Not sure if you have kids but if you do I would recommend Alpharetta, Roswell, Dunwoody/Sandy Springs as you don't want to be driving from the east side up north as you have to deal with spaghetti junction. Ugh! The schools are great in those areas and they are pretty well developed areas with nice shopping options. Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area has Marta train near it so great for getting to the airport and sporting events. I prefer in town even after just getting married as we love to walk, bike and go to live events there but I'm very familiar with northern Atlanta since I lived in both Alpharetta and dunwoody for a time. I have been in Atlanta since 1998 a few years after I graduated from Uconn. Let me know if you have any other questions. You can also find cheaper options in Johns Creek, Woodstock and Forsythe. I couldn't fathom living in those areas as I love being near mass transit and the city of Atlanta, but I'm aware some people are more into a very suburban life.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Our offices are actually in Sandy Springs. Thank you for the recommendations. How do you feel about going north of there to towns like Cummin?

Reaction Score
Our offices are actually in Sandy Springs. Thank you for the recommendations. How do you feel about going north of there to towns like Cummin?
See my added comments. Lots of coworkers are in that area. I work at the perimeter area which is right near Sandy Springs. I definitely think it would be a better option than living on the east side due to traffic. You will still deal with traffic but at least you won't have to deal with going west on 285 in the morning and east in the evening. That is a nightmare.

Reaction Score
If you're married with a family check out Dunwoody. If you're single I would consider Sandy Springs with close proximity to Roswell Road or of course Buckhead. After moving down consider a weekend trip to Greenville, SC. It's only two hours from Atlanta. Greenville is a cool little city. Best of luck!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
With regards to beaches, you'll learn that in the South, a 3 hour drive to the beach is within the norm.

Reaction Score
With regards to beaches, you'll learn that in the South, a 3 hour drive to the beach is within the norm.
Well I don't think most people move to Atlanta expecting to go to the beach. Lol!! It is close enough to Florida if you want some good beaches though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We've had a couple of friends move to the Buckhead area. They've been there for a few years and are very happy. He's affiliated with Emory U Med Center, she's involved with Home Depot as a regional manager. Both love it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well I don't think most people move to Atlanta expecting to go to the beach. Lol!! It is close enough to Florida if you want some good beaches though.

He brought up South Carolina and beaches, I was just letting him know the norm.:D

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Pm me if you're looking to buy or sell. My team works All over the country, I can also give you some Boneyard referrals with recent closed sales.

Mike

Reaction Score
OP what ever suburb you move to I would recommend stay in the northern portion as the east(bad traffic) especially Gwinnett county and the west bad schools really aren't appealing. I will say an alternative could be Smyrna(Northwest suburb in Cobb County) as it is close enough to the Sandy Springs area and the Braves are moving there so lots of development is happening there. The schools aren't as great as the northern suburbs but you can get a lot of house for your money and be close to Sandy Springs, Airport and Sandy Springs area. You might also want to look at East Cobb as that area has some great schools and houses.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
We've had a couple of friends move to the Buckhead area. They've been there for a few years and are very happy. He's affiliated with Emory U Med Center, she's involved with Home Depot as a regional manager. Both love it.
My son lived in Buckhead. Very nice area. Then transferred to Athens and now resides in Savannah.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
My son lived in Buckhead. Very nice area. Then transferred to Athens and now resides in Savannah.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I'm also in the area. Not sure if you have kids but if you do I would recommend Alpharetta, Roswell, Dunwoody/Sandy Springs as you don't want to be driving from the east side up north as you have to deal with spaghetti junction. Ugh! The schools are great in those areas and they are pretty well developed areas with nice shopping options. Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area has Marta train near it so great for getting to the airport and sporting events. I prefer in town even after just getting married as we love to walk, bike and go to live events there but I'm very familiar with northern Atlanta since I lived in both Alpharetta and dunwoody for a time. I have been in Atlanta since 1998 a few years after I graduated from Uconn. Let me know if you have any other questions. You can also find cheaper options in Johns Creek, Woodstock and Forsythe. I couldn't fathom living in those areas as I love being near mass transit and the city of Atlanta, but I'm aware some people are more into a very suburban life.
Are certain sides/areas of Atlanta more favorable for just getting here to there (ease of traffic, less congestion)? I've visited a couple of times and depending on which side of town I was on it was horrendous or pleasant getting to the airport with equal distances and around the same time of day. Same with getting in and out of downtown.

It would suck making a long term mistake in choosing neighborhoods that take a long to get to and fro in that crowded city.

Reaction Score
I drove from Sandy Springs to ATL at 330 on a Friday and didn't hit a bit of traffic. I've got a bit of time to better understand the traffic flows around the city when I get down there. I think there is gonna be a great deal of focus on understanding this.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Keep em coming. I'm taking notes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hi there. Just saw this. I have been in Atlanta for 20 years and would be happy to help. We live in Inman Park and my wife works north of the city. PM me and I will give you my cell #/ email.

Reaction Score
I drove from Sandy Springs to ATL at 330 on a Friday and didn't hit a bit of traffic. I've got a bit of time to better understand the traffic flows around the city when I get down there. I think there is gonna be a great deal of focus on understanding this.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Keep em coming. I'm taking notes.
Wow I just drove this friday with my wife right after 3 on a friday and hit a lot of traffic. Took me almost an hour to get home and I live in Poncey Highlands/Old 4 Ward Park area. I'm neighbors right now with Scot-e. I live right on the Atlanta Beltline in a condo. My wife and I can't seem to find a house in our range$300-$370 in the city(I want a two car garage LOL!) so we might just stay were we are as Atlanta Prices are just skyrocketing especially ITP(inside the perimeter 285 ring).

Reaction Score
Are certain sides/areas of Atlanta more favorable for just getting here to there (ease of traffic, less congestion)? I've visited a couple of times and depending on which side of town I was on it was horrendous or pleasant getting to the airport with equal distances and around the same time of day. Same with getting in and out of downtown.

It would suck making a long term mistake in choosing neighborhoods that take a long to get to and fro in that crowded city.
If your going to the airport the best thing to do is take Marta. LOL! Though coming from the downtown/midtown area, Smyrna on west side and anything south of I20 makes getting to the airport easy during high traffic times. Inside the city with the new greenspace beltline projects Atlanta is growing really fast so traffic is getting worst with a bad transportation infrastructure. UGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom