OT: most POETIC non-Dylan rock 'n roll songs? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: most POETIC non-Dylan rock 'n roll songs?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
This one is hugely open to interpretation. There are three Muses of poetry -- Erato is the muse of love poetry; Calliope, epic/heroic; and Euterpe, lyric. And then what's rock n roll music. The RnR Hall of Fame is notoriously antagonistic toward progressive/art rock, but as far as I'm concerned, that's where the best poetry in rock music is. Many of the prog rock bands had lyricists -- Keith Reid of Procol Harum; Pete Sinfield of King Crimson; Betty Thatcher of Renaissance. . .

Among my faves:

King Crimson -- C0urt of the Crimson King (not available on youtube)

Procol Harum -- A Salty Dog

Yeah, and the Hall also does not like the Moody Blues.

Reaction Score
This one is hugely open to interpretation. There are three Muses of poetry -- Erato is the muse of love poetry; Calliope, epic/heroic; and Euterpe, lyric. And then what's rock n roll music. The RnR Hall of Fame is notoriously antagonistic toward progressive/art rock, but as far as I'm concerned, that's where the best poetry in rock music is. Many of the prog rock bands had lyricists -- Keith Reid of Procol Harum; Pete Sinfield of King Crimson; Betty Thatcher of Renaissance. . .

Among my faves:

King Crimson -- C0urt of the Crimson King (not available on youtube)

Procol Harum -- A Salty Dog

Interesting how this song sounds so much like early Genesis and Peter Gabriel's singing.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yeah, and the Hall also does not like the Moody Blues.

Whom I would consider progressive or art rock.

I was having a conversation with a nephew a couple years back. He's a baby -- only like 36 now -- but does listen to a lot of classic rock. He was saying that the Moody Blues belong in the hall, and I said, yeah, if Jethro Tull is in the hall, the Moodies belong. He pointed out that Tull isn't in either. At least Yes finally is.

Moodies are too artistic, Grand Funk Railroad aren't artistic enough. That's why I will never cast a shadow on the place, although I'd love to see some of the stuff there.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Interesting how this song sounds so much like early Genesis and Peter Gabriel's singing.

I'm sure Genesis were influenced by Procol. I think A Salty Dog came out around the same time as Genesis's first album.

Speaking of Genesis, this one occurred to me today during my bike ride:

Reaction Score
I'm sure Genesis were influenced by Procol. I think A Salty Dog came out around the same time as Genesis's first album.

Speaking of Genesis, this one occurred to me today during my bike ride:

Moonlit King is great.

I was going to add Supper's Ready, but I don't know how to link it.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Since Scud posted something from Pentangle, I figure I can post something from Steeleye Span. This is the Demon Lover, a traditional song that has many forms. In the Appalachians it's known as the House Carpenter (recorded by Joan Baez among many others). (Note I was going to post A Parcel of Rogues, another beautiful, poetic lyric, but discovered Robert Burns wrote the lyrics.)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Okay, I promise I'll shut up after this one from Richard and Mimi Farina. Richard was a brilliant lyricist (and poet and novelist), died at 29, introduced us to the mountain dulcimer outside of the old-time tradition. Mimi, Joan Baez's little sister (along with Pauline, daughters of Albert Baez, a brilliant physicist) was also taken from us too young. She was a brilliant guitar player with an absolutely golden voice. This is one of Dick's loveliest lyrics and tunes:

Reaction Score
I hear this one on Sirius's "Deep Tracks" from time to time, it still astounds me after all these years:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I smell what the Rock is cookin'!

DOG.png

Reaction Score
Always liked his music, but didn't know if he was rock or not. That aside, some great lyrics.

Reaction Score
Whom I would consider progressive or art rock.

I was having a conversation with a nephew a couple years back. He's a baby -- only like 36 now -- but does listen to a lot of classic rock. He was saying that the Moody Blues belong in the hall, and I said, yeah, if Jethro Tull is in the hall, the Moodies belong. He pointed out that Tull isn't in either. At least Yes finally is.

Moodies are too artistic, Grand Funk Railroad aren't artistic enough. That's why I will never cast a shadow on the place, although I'd love to see some of the stuff there.

Agree that the Moody Blues should be in the HOF. If I was on the jury, I would need a compelling argument for Jethro Tull and Grand Funk.

Reaction Score
From a largely unknown 70's artist, a very melodic/poetic/acoustic song:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Clever, touching, beautiful and smart. A masterclass in how to write a love song.

"Over hearts I have painfully turned every stone
Just to find what I've searched to discover
I've come much to far for me now to find
The love that I sought can never be mine(d?)

Incredible.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Contribution from Gordon Lightfoot, beautifully done by Ian & Sylvia:

One of my all time favs, no matter who sings it. My Senior Talent Show duet number ... nope, we didn't win. It was almost banned as too racey!

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Agree that the Moody Blues should be in the HOF. If I was on the jury, I would need a compelling argument for Jethro Tull and Grand Funk.

I'm not saying either belongs, but that if there were clear criteria, one or the other should be in. Grand Funk (I don't own a GFR album, which says what I think of them) and Three Dog Night both had incredible runs in the ~1969-75 time period -- each had around ten platinum albums in about five years. Neither was high art, but based on art being absent from the RRHoF, that would seem to be an asset. Jethro Tull were huge in the 70's, plus they made some really interesting music. I do own, I think, three of their albums. Not my favorite, but they brought a new perspective to popular music that was informed by prog rock and folk music.

PS -- I'm still pissed that Bob Welch wasn't included as a member of Fleetwood Mac for their induction. He was their bridge between blues and pop.

Reaction Score
No question in my mind about the Moody Blues and Jethro Tull, both were highly creative bands with terrific music. For that matter, Little Feat was a superbly innovative group when Lowell George was alive and the driving force behind them. Can't agree more on Bob Welch - that's a shame. I believe there was animosity between Welch and Mick Fleetwood....that's the reason why he wasn't included.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom